Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

On Second Thought...

Go down 
+23
krokus
skullsmasher
Lurideath
kmorg
Invader
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
jstate
akeldama
tohostudios
SAHB Healer
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal Misfit
Hamer12
Thrasher73
Stender
exact33
thejokeriv
the sentinel
ultmetal
Tall Tyrion
MetalGuy71
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

On Second Thought... Empty
PostSubject: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 2:24 pm

Based on Spectrefate's revelation that Megadeth's The World Needs A Hero isn't so bad afterall, what are some other albums that you've played in the past that you absolutely hated at first listen, then went back a month, a year or longer, and said "On second thought, this album ain't so bad. It's actually pretty good"
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 2:30 pm

Savatage - Streets

I had seen/heard Hall of the Mountain King on HBB and really liked it,
but when I got around to actually buying me some Savatage, Streets was
the new album, so I bought that and really disliked it. I almost never
continued on with them, except there is a buddy of mine who was is a
bigger Savatage fan than anyone I've ever known (maybe Rich and Kmorg
have him beat, but it would be close). He kept after me to keep
listening to them and now I'm a huge fan. Streets is still not my
favorite album. I think the title track is a poor choice for an album
opener, but I really like the album now.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 2:38 pm

Iron Maiden - The X Factor, although it wasn't months, it was years later.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:06 pm

Motley Crue - Theatre of Pain.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:20 pm

Dokken - Under Lock and Key - hated it the first time I heard it! Likeed it after more listens.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:21 pm

Turisas - Varangian way. I didnt like it at first and sold it. Then I got it again cheap and for whatever reason it clicked...

Alex

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:34 pm

The biggest one is Petra as a band in general, my dad used to play them around the house all the time and I thought they were so dumb. About 5 yrs later, their awesome.

The vocals on Defiance's "void terra firma" I didnt like at first, but after the 2nd spin they grew on me.

I'm sure theres more I cant think of right now.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:38 pm

Metallica-Kill em All.I hated the sound of thrash at first.It wasnt music to me,it was just noise.Haha.Who knew that a couple years later thrash would be my favorite sub genre.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:40 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Metallica-Kill em All.I hated the sound of thrash at first.It wasnt music to me,it was just noise.Haha.Who knew that a couple years later thrash would be my favorite sub genre.

ah! thats another one I forgot, Metallica, I couldnt stand the vocals for the longest time then I learned to appreciate the music a little more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:40 pm

thrasher73 wrote:

Shocked What?
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:58 pm

spectrefate wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Shocked What?

Yeah,I know.Crazy isnt it?
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Motorhead- Another Perfect Day. played it once, Barf. Have played it about 100 times since & it gets better with every listen.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 5:11 pm

Motley Crue - s/t. I love it now.

Gene Simmons - @$$hole. Not "good", but I can stand it now.

Ace Frehley - s/t. Very unimpressed when I first heard it.

Def Leppard - Euphoria. I thought it was pretty average outside of "Promises" but now I'd rank it right behind Pyromania and Hysteria.

spectrefate wrote:

Shocked What?

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 5:19 pm

I couldn't get into QR - Rage for Order when I first got it (this is 8 years ago or so, keep in mind). I put the CD on the bookshelf where it collected about an inch of dust, then one day a few months later decided to play it at random, having exhausted everything else in my collection....and suddenly.............. humble

Same with Labyrinth - No Limits.....what was I thinking?

It also took me forever to get into Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice.. which was weird considering how much other technical metal I already owned and enjoyed. But now it's one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 5:48 pm

Ultimatum - Puppet of Destruction.

i couldn't stand the vocals enough to get into the music the first few times i listened to it. when Into the Pit came out & i liked it, i gave Puppet another chance. i have gotten used to Scott's style by now, so i enjoyed the album quite a bit. still not as good as Into the Pit...but definitely not as bad as it originally sounded to me.

Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 5:56 pm

mc666 wrote:
Ultimatum - Puppet of Destruction.

i couldn't stand the vocals enough to get into the music the first few times i listened to it. when Into the Pit came out & i liked it, i gave Puppet another chance. i have gotten used to Scott's style by now, so i enjoyed the album quite a bit. still not as good as Into the Pit...but definitely not as bad as it originally sounded to me.

Just wait 'til you hear their next album-- Appetite for Master! It'll blow you away, man!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 6:03 pm

Quote :
Savatage - Streets

Mine as well. I also heard HOTMK, on the radio though. My friend gave me the Streets cassette, and I really didn't like it much. The next time I heard Savatage was the same friend (RIP) who I was with when we listened to Edge Of Thorns .

Years later, I gave Streets another listen, now it's one of my favorite discs.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 6:47 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:

Hm... Maybe I should give it a try again myself. I was very disappointed with it and my fiancee (who doesn't even listen to this kind of music) was laughing at it. I'm more of a HOTMK kinda guy. I'll have to dig this one up and blog about it.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Sonata Arctica "Unia", was like that for me. Actually it scares me all the great albums that I had in the "outgoing" pile at one time. I've learned the hard way to never judge on one listen. Sometimes it's just a mood thing.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:03 pm

Pink Cream 69 - Games People Play

There was one track on this (Keep Your Eye On The Twisted) that really clicked right away and the rest seemed boring.

Burned a CDR of new acquisitions for a friend and stuck that song on there. My friend bought the album and a lot of PC69's catalogue and started raving about the band. So I dug that album back out and have since purchased the entire PC69 catalogue.

No idea where my ears were on the first listen.

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:09 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
DenimAndLeather wrote:

Hm... Maybe I should give it a try again myself. I was very disappointed with it and my fiancee (who doesn't even listen to this kind of music) was laughing at it. I'm more of a HOTMK kinda guy. I'll have to dig this one up and blog about it.

I'm not sure what part she was laughing at, but there is nothing funny about Jesus Saves, Tonight He grins Again, Ghost In The Ruins, If I GO Away or Believe. The solo on Ghost is epic.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:24 pm

Black Sabbath-Dehumanizer, I hated it when it came out and up until last year. Now it's the best Sabbath imo.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 8:21 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:

I'm not sure what part she was laughing at, but there is nothing funny about Jesus Saves, Tonight He grins Again, Ghost In The Ruins, If I GO Away or Believe. The solo on Ghost is epic.

Not the subject matter, the music itself.

You wanna have words next time I come down to FWB? Razz
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 8:40 pm

King's X Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

I read a review in the local Roxx 'zine that talked about how great this album was. I tended to really love most of what they recommended. I bought it and regretted it on first listen. I think the problem was I expected something very different. So it sat for years as a reminder of the dangers of blind buys.

Ten years later I finally give it a second chance and this time I got into it. In the right mood, I would say I even love it.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 pm

"clears throat"

HED P.E. - Blackout - was taking it to a store to sell and on a whim put it in the car one last time....and was hammered. Somehow it hit me. I love that CD! I don't care much for the genre, but that album floors me.

Allen/Lande - The Battle - didn't hate it, but after 3 listens (my normal attempt...3 strikes and all...) Well, I was gonna trade it off. But I listened to it again...and again....and again. Next thing you know it's one of my favorites ever....a true 10/10. To think I almost canned it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On Second Thought...   On Second Thought... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

On Second Thought...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next