Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?

Go down 
+18
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
akeldama
SAHB Healer
Invader
thejokeriv
the sentinel
DeathCult
mc666
krokus
TrogDawn
skullsmasher
tohostudios
ensiferum2k
scottmitchell74
Thrasher73
UltraMagnus007
Stender
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 am

Martin wrote:
C'mon, do you really think it is fair to still consider Iron Maiden, Saxon or Def Leppard to be NWOBHM? They outgrew that label a looong time ago.
it doesn't say what are your favorite NWOBHM bands... it says "when you hear (the term) NWOBHM, what band do you think of?" fair has nothing to do with anything. they were certainly apart of it in the beginning.

Last edited by mc666 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 1:54 am

Raven, Blitzkrieg, Diamondhead, ToPT, Sweet Savage, Witchfynde, maybe Samson, and especially my fav Tokyo Blade. Didn't mention Saxon as they are not just another band to me. They kinda have their own catagory.
Back to top Go down
Martin
Metal novice
Metal novice
Martin

Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 2:19 am

mc666 wrote:
it doesn't say what are your favorite NWOBHM bands... it says "when you hear (the term) NWOBHM, what band do you think of?" fair has nothing to do with anything. they were certainly apart of it in the beginning.
That is hair-splitting! If you don't like the term fair then use justified. What I wanted to say was - and I believe that was clear from the beginning - that I don't think of Iron Maiden, Saxon, Venom and Def Leppard anymore whenever the NWOBHM-word comes up. They are beyond that category. When I think of that time and that genre I think of Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Samson, Praying Mantis, Raven, Girlschool etc. You know, all those bands that didn't make it to the next level. And that is exactly why the label stuck with 'em. Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 2:32 am

Martin wrote:
mc666 wrote:
That is hair-splitting! If you don't like the term fair then use justified. What I wanted to say was - and I believe that was clear from the beginning - that I don't think of Iron Maiden, Saxon, Venom and Def Leppard anymore whenever the NWOBHM-word comes up. They are beyond that category. When I think of that time and that genre I think of Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Samson, Praying Mantis, Raven, Girlschool etc. You know, all those bands that didn't make it to the next level. And that is exactly why the label stuck with 'em. Just my 2 cents.
it's all subjective. you say "I don't think of " & that's probably what inspired the topic to begin with. it has alot to do with memory & personal experience. not everyone will think as you.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 8:28 am

Martin wrote:
mc666 wrote:

I still think of Def Leppard when I think "NWOBHM". Why? Because it's my favorite era from that band and tends to be the only era of the band I listen to. The fact remains, they were a part of that movement, if only for a short while. Same with Maiden and Saxon. Nothing wrong with including them on a thread like this, that asks a subjective question to begin with.
Quote :

This asks for an opinion. If someone said ANVIL or TWISTED SISTER, neither of which are British bands, what right do I have to argue with them. If these are the bands that came to mind to that person, then that's what they think of when they hear NWOBHM. (Besides, the fact remains that both these bands were an influence during the NWOBHM and in fact, Twisted Sister were even living and thriving in England during the early 80's.)

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 9:38 am

Iron Maiden, Saxon and Diamond Head.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 12:23 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Raven, Blitzkrieg, Diamondhead, ToPT, Sweet Savage, Witchfynde, maybe Samson, and especially my fav Tokyo Blade. Didn't mention Saxon as they are not just another band to me. They kinda have their own catagory.

Finally someone else mentions the Tygers.

I knew there was a reason I liked you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 12:28 pm

See, the original question is When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?, which almost demands bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon, Diamondhead and Def Leppard to be mentioned. If people were expecting a different answer, perhaps re-framing the original question helps.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 12:56 pm

MoonChild wrote:
See, the original question is When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?, which almost demands bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon, Diamondhead and Def Leppard to be mentioned. If people were expecting a different answer, perhaps re-framing the original question helps.

Right. I only named one band because the question was "What BAND do you think of..."

Now if we were going what are some of your favorite NWOBHM bands...Tygers of Pan Tang would most certainly make my list. Blitzkrieg, Raven, Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Saxon, Tank, Maiden, Venom ...would be a few more that come to mind immediately.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Saxon
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 1:35 pm

I hear ya ULT, Tygers of Pan Tang are a good band, so are Legend and Trespass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of?   When you hear NWOBHM what band do you think of? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2