Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.

Go down 
+22
Troublezone
sam
stepcousin
XYZ
nevermore
ramreb
HellRaiser
skullsmasher
Thrasher73
Tall Tyrion
akeldama
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shiney
ultmetal
the sentinel
SAHB Healer
mc666
rattpoison
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:44 pm

tohostudios wrote:
troublezone wrote:
5150 is a great album if your age is actually 51+

Or if you've never heard DLR-era.

Your earlier post was spot on, the DLR "entertainment" factor has a lot to do with why I prefer his vocals. I think he elevated the typical VH songwriting to another level with his antics. And he didn't just to it at concerts; I think he ad-libbed a lot in the studio too. Think they scripted the "I don't feel tardy..." schtick? Or his yelps and howls on the S/T?

You can also hear him giggle a bit in the back ground like on the song Unchained. They were the ultimate party band back then, you can just hear that they were having a blast in the studio making those records. Laughing
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 pm

tohostudios wrote:
5150 isn't even close to the S/T in my book. It's not even close to any DLR-era album IMO.

Did I mention I HATE Van Hagar?

Preach it!:bangyerhead:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 9:16 pm

Hagar is a billion times better singer than Roth. That being said, I understand why people like each era, but I prefer the Hagar era. They became nationally successful band under Hagar with #1 albums and wrote "kinder, gentler" songs. Some people hate this. However, this is what appeals to me most.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 9:23 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Hagar is a billion times better singer than Roth. That being said, I understand why people like each era, but I prefer the Hagar era. They became nationally successful band under Hagar with #1 albums and wrote "kinder, gentler" songs. Some people hate this. However, this is what appeals to me most.

We all have our different musical takes and for me, Van Hagar helped contribute to the "Corporate Rock" label later perpetuated by bands like Nickelback (who I HATE).

I blame this on Van Hagar because a true metal band morphed into a corporate shill band by replacing an out of control singer with a more stable (CORPORATE) singer.

I just feel that the DLR Van Halen albums easily dwarf the corporate-peddled Van Hagar albums.
You don't hear Sammy giggling, or whooping, or howling. Nope...because that didn't fit the corporate marketing machine.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 9:32 pm

In all fairness i don't hate the Van Hagar albums i actually like Sammy's vocals a lot but in Van Halen Roth was more entertaining and that's what it's all about. I believe the Roth era influenced just about everything that came after in rock music.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 9:35 pm

Very interesting way to put it toho. They really did pave the way for more corporate rock like Nickelback and Hinder.

Whatever era you like, I think it's safe to say that Van Halen would be nothing without Eddie.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Also it's like Ult said about Ace Frehley, It's not that he's the best it's just the Charisma and feeling he gives in the music.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:29 pm

I will agree that technically Sammy Hagar is a better vocalist, but
David Lee Roth wasn't just a singer and a showman, he was a co
songwriter, who helped write some of the music but never got credit due
to his image. In various interviews other guitartist who have worked
Roth as a solo artist have said how talented and how much they learned
from him, that includes Steve Vai, Jason Becker, Steve Hunter, John 5
and Nile Rodgers who produced DLR's worst solo album was surprised at
the degree of musicial knowledge DLR has.
That being said Sammy Hagar aint no slouch and his two albums
with Montrose is the best work he has ever done, Van Halen went into
more commerical direction with Hagar, and Hagar is able to do that
better than Roth, plus Hagar writes the occassional love song, where
closet thing DLR has written that resembles a love song is "Hotdog and
Shake", it is hard to believe that these two men where ever in the same
band, like both versions of the band but with DLR it was groundbreaking
and fresh.
As for Gary Cherone they should have let him audition for the Vagina Monologues instead of Van Halen.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 pm

spectrefate wrote:
They became nationally successful band under Hagar with #1 albums and wrote "kinder, gentler" songs. Some people hate this. However, this is what appeals to me most.
that explains why you like Deicide

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 pm

mc666 wrote:

that explains why you like Deicide

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 2:53 am

Van Halen with Roth was fun and entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5g2yyvdjrE
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 6:51 am

*gentlemen, start your engines*

Quote :
because a true metal band morphed into a corporate shill band

Van Halen was never, at any point in thier existence, a "true metal band"...

Van Halen went from a band who "riff-jammed" and wrote entertaining party rock into a band that wrote intentional, radio-friendly corporate rock...not arguing that at all...but to call them a "true metal band" is a gigantic stretch.

I think DLR's humor is one of the things that made VH stand out early on, that coupled with Ed's playing was a winning combo. But, for me, I have a soft spot for the pop hooks and Van Hagar delivered those in spades.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 7:18 am

Good ole safe vanilla Van Hagar....makes you wanna reach for those forbidden Journey records....but no!

Kinda like the toothless Cheap Trick of the same time. Sad innit.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:45 am

troublezone wrote:

not only did they take rock to a new level, they also took cheesy to a new level
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:50 am

sam wrote:
troublezone wrote:

not only did they take rock to a new level, they also took cheesy to a new level

Aint it great! crazy happy
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:52 am

troublezone wrote:
sam wrote:
troublezone wrote:

Aint it great! crazy happy

absolutely wonderful, my brother absolutely loves that album
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:21 am

Dave era VH is my favorite of all of it but it too was hit and miss. Some of the albums through this period were fantastic while others were "ho hum". When Sammy came into the band it was a re-invention period for Van Halen and I feel Sammy and the VH bros sold themselves short. They probably made tons more $$ but the tunes were very predictable IMO. Sammy leaving VH was the best thing he could have done for his career, I think. It put him back out there doing his songs his way. I have always liked Sammy as a solo artist but not so much as a member of Van Halen. OU812 is the only Sammy era album I've actually purchased, the rest are just CDR copies that sit in the closet. I have all the Dave stuff, VH and solo and most of the Sammy solo stuff.

Both are great artists in their own place.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Van Halen was never, at any point in thier existence, a "true metal band"...

Don't reopen that can of worms. affraid
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 4:21 pm

What I never understood during the short lived Gary Cherone era is why did they fire Sammy Hagar in the first place if they are going to ask Gary Cherone to ape Hagar's vocal phrashing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4