Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.

Go down 
+22
Troublezone
sam
stepcousin
XYZ
nevermore
ramreb
HellRaiser
skullsmasher
Thrasher73
Tall Tyrion
akeldama
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shiney
ultmetal
the sentinel
SAHB Healer
mc666
rattpoison
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 10:08 am

5150 was bittersweet. Dave was gone, but 5150 was still a great album. The title track is my favorite from the album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 11:57 am

I think there are a few good songs. "Get Up" is a smokin' tune. "Good Enough" and "Summer Nights" are also good songs. Otherwise, I think the album is kinda lame. It's still not bad, but I almost never listen to it. This is definitely my least fav Hagar-era album. Carn.Knowledge is the pinnacle of the Hagar era; that's actually an amazing album.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 5:09 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
those first 3 VH albums... man, that was some damn fine rock n roll. after that, it was hit or miss.

No love for Fair Warning? That has always been my fav VH.

And as far as Hagar - Standing Hampton is an ALL-TIME classic that should be in every rockers collection. An all-around perfect album.

I agree pretty much. FW is great. I even like some Van Hagar but Sammy in the late 70's/early 80's ruled.

As far as 5150, I dont hate it as much as most old school VH fans (been one since 1979). I do love the song "Dreams".
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 9:43 am

I love 5150, except track 7 "love walks in" never did anything for me, the rest of the album rocks though
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 10:39 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
those first 3 VH albums... man, that was some damn fine rock n roll. after that, it was hit or miss.

No love for Fair Warning? That has always been my fav VH.
Fair Warning is a respected classic for sure. i just personally think it was a step down from the first 3. the first of many continuous steps downward.

DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Diver Down

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Divrdon
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 12:08 am

5150 their best??? That is a watered down radio friendly album with no guts. It's not a bad album but definately not as entertaining as the Roth albums. I was actually thinking about this awhile back about how i think Hagar is a better singer but Roth is a better entertainer.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 11:25 am

DeathCult wrote:
Eat Em and Smile is the only Roth solo worth getting. I have Crazy From The Heat as well, but his lounge days aren't appreciated by all.

I still think Eat 'em... is great, then his solo albums went progessivly down-hill. Some good songs here and there, but not good albums. Eat 'em and Smile was a solid album.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Eat Em and Smile is the only
Roth solo worth getting. I have Crazy From The Heat as well, but his
lounge days aren't appreciated by all.

I still think Eat 'em...
is great, then his solo albums went progessivly down-hill. Some good
songs here and there, but not good albums. Eat 'em and Smile was a
solid album.

Did you ever hear the DLR Band material? I had heard good things about it, but never have heard it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:48 pm

DLR has a good song called "Slam Dunk" (because it sounds like VH) other than that, I haven't heard anything good from them.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Eat Em and Smile is the only
Roth solo worth getting. I have Crazy From The Heat as well, but his
lounge days aren't appreciated by all.

I still think Eat 'em...
is great, then his solo albums went progessivly down-hill. Some good
songs here and there, but not good albums. Eat 'em and Smile was a
solid album.

Did you ever hear the DLR Band material? I had heard good things about it, but never have heard it.

I had it at one point. It was ok from what I remember. It had a few good songs ("Slam Dunk" was one of 'em) but overall, nothing worth keeping. I sorta remember Dave's voice sounding really strained on some of the songs. The one thing memorable from it was the guitarist, John Lowery, went from a normal, unknown long-haired metal/rock guy to John 5, a goth-weirdo, playing for Marilyn Manson. I believe he's now playing in Rob Zombie's live band.

EDIT: Lowery also played in/toured with Rob Halford's Two project.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 6:00 pm

That's disappointing.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 6:33 pm

I think what most people don't realize is that Sammy wasn't the one changing Van Halen. Eddie was changing Van Halen. Eddie wanted keyboards on 1984, but Dave wanted to stay with a metal sound in their music. Obviously, Dave lost that round. But once Dave was kicked out or quit Van Halen, there was no real resistance to what Eddie wanted to do. That's why Van Halen moved away from metal and became a more mainstream band.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 pm

xyz wrote:
I think what most people don't realize is that Sammy wasn't the one changing Van Halen. Eddie was changing Van Halen. Eddie wanted keyboards on 1984, but Dave wanted to stay with a metal sound in their music. Obviously, Dave lost that round. But once Dave was kicked out or quit Van Halen, there was no real resistance to what Eddie wanted to do. That's why Van Halen moved away from metal and became a more mainstream band.

Oh absolutely. I don't fault Sammy at all, it all rests squarely on Eddie's shoulders. In fact, Eddie wrote Jump during the sessions for Fair Warning, but Dave refused to do the song because it didn't sound like a Van Halen song to him. I agree.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 10:31 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:

Plus, Dreams is the best song VH ever did, Hagar or not.

For the longest time, this was the only VH album I didn't own (well, not counting VHIII, which I *still* don't own). I like it, maybe because I got it after my VH phase, but for my own personal tastes, I couldn't call it their best. I don't even think it's their best with Hagar (that would go to For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, *IMO*).

"Dreams" is indeed awesome as is "Why Can't This Be Love", two of my favorites from the band.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 5:07 pm

I prefer the David Lee Roth era of Van Halen, the first four albums are classics that changed rock music and gave it a good kick in the ass, 5150 is not bad but these two line ups are night and day.
And I prefered David Lee Roth's solo albums to the Sammy Hagar led Van Halen, what was missing with that version of Van Halen was a sense of humor, not as much fun factor.
I also happen to think that are songs are better on DLR albums, I am huge fan of the original line up.
Back to top Go down
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 132

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 6:02 pm

I also consider 5150 as Van Halen's greatest album! Even the follow-up was great! But the Cherone-era scares me. Remember when I saw the "Fire in the Hole" video for the first time, I had nightmares a week after that. Of course I love the Roth era but it's something special with the atomsphere on the Hagar albums, also I've always liked his raspy voice and lyrics very much. Both in Montrose, Van Halen and as a solo artist.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Pontus wrote:
I also consider 5150 as Van Halen's greatest album! Even the follow-up was great! But the Cherone-era scares me. Remember when I saw the "Fire in the Hole" video for the first time, I had nightmares a week after that. Of course I love the Roth era but it's something special with the atomsphere on the Hagar albums, also I've always liked his raspy voice and lyrics very much. Both in Montrose, Van Halen and as a solo artist.

Stopped taking your meds again, huh? just kidding

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 6:32 pm

BTW, I love Hagar's solo work but I HATE Van Hagar; every freakin' song sounds the same to me.

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 6:35 pm

I also like both Hagar & Roth, but prefer Van Hagar and 5150 is my favorite too...
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 6:53 pm

somebody missed it...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 6:57 pm

I totally agree that 5150 is VH's best. Saw them live on that tour with Bachman Turner Overdrive in fact.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:06 pm

5150 isn't even close to the S/T in my book. It's not even close to any DLR-era album IMO.

Did I mention I HATE Van Hagar?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:16 pm

5150 is a great album if your age is actually 51+
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:36 pm

troublezone wrote:
5150 is a great album if your age is actually 51+

Or if you've never heard DLR-era.

Your earlier post was spot on, the DLR "entertainment" factor has a lot to do with why I prefer his vocals. I think he elevated the typical VH songwriting to another level with his antics. And he didn't just to it at concerts; I think he ad-libbed a lot in the studio too. Think they scripted the "I don't feel tardy..." schtick? Or his yelps and howls on the S/T?

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next