Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?

Go down 
+15
MoonChild
thejokeriv
stepcousin
Metal Misfit
Troublezone
Schbopo
exact33
chewie
snooloui
XYZ
manny
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Empty
PostSubject: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:01 am

In your opinion, what is the Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?

I've recently been adding all the Hagar-era albums to my site. (Thanks Vexer6) Of the four Sammy Hagar albums, I actually find "Balance" to be the most enjoyable. I know it's not a popular release as it doesn't contain any big radio hits, but that may very well be the reason I enjoyed it moreso than the more poppy, radio-oriented albums.

Anyone else?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:09 am

I'd say it's a toss-up between For Unlawful... or Balance for me. For Unlawful...was still on the poppier side of hard rock, but it stripped away some of that 80's synth spit & polish. I bought that as a new release and it got lots and lots of play for a long time.

Balance is a much darker record, so that one tends to get more spins from me these days.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:11 am

5150 is my favorite Van Hagar album
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:47 am

'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge' is IMO the best of the Sammy Hagar era.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:55 am

Balance is awesome. I LOVE the instrumental "Baluchitherium." That is in my top two of favorite Van Halen songs.

5150 is good as well. Some of the songs on that record were demoed with Roth still on vocals, but I doubt any recordings still exist. "Get Up" has a great thrash-like riff to it.

OU812 is a bit lackluster. The production has always thrown me, but the songs still have some kick. I really like "Source of Infection." The lyrics are childish, but the guitar riff is very bluesy and the leads are amazing.

F.U.C.K is OK. It's got "Poundcake;" that's about it for me. Still need to give this one more listens.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:59 am

"Baluchitherium" sounds a bit unfinished to me. It almost sounds like a song that was written for lyrics, but was released without vocals. However, the opening drum instrumental is cool. That could have been on the first Van Halen CD along with Eruption.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 11:06 am

Quote :
"Baluchitherium" sounds a bit unfinished to me. It almost sounds like a song that was written for lyrics, but was released without vocals.

According to Wikipedia, it was.

There was also a bonus, Japanese-only released track that I've never heard called 'Crossing Over'. Kinda cool I suppose. It fits in with the dark mood of the rest of the Balance album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8UlcOhzeyw

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 11:22 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
"Baluchitherium" sounds a bit unfinished to me. It almost sounds like a song that was written for lyrics, but was released without vocals.

According to Wikipedia, it was.

It was suppose to have lyrics, but they were axed in the end. I think Eddie's guitar replaces Sammy's voice very nicely. Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Lol
I'll cover the rest in my Van Halen thread.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 11:55 am

5150 I think. They all have some good tracks on, namely I Can't Stop Loving You and When It's Love.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 12:15 pm

I'll have to go with 5150, even though it has some ugly ballads, it has some damn good rockin' songs......... Hello Baby...........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm

I actually like OU812 best. All the albums have some clunkers on them but that one got played to death by me when it came out. Black and Blue is such a sensitive love song.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 12:42 pm

5150 is my fave. Just a great release from beginning to end. OU812 is just a hair behind (although it does have one of my favorite Hagar era tunes on it-Finish What You Started).
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 12:50 pm

007 wrote:
5150 is my fave. Just a great release from beginning to end. OU812 is just a hair behind (although it does have one of my favorite Hagar era tunes on it-Finish What You Started).

Thats how I feel too. 5150 gets the most play of the VHaggar era.

Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Probably F UCK
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 5:24 pm

after all, Dreams is my favorite Van Halen song of all time.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 6:30 pm

F.U.C.K. and Balance

OU812 (needs to be remastered but is a good album)

The keyboards on 5150 are worse than they were on "1984"...

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:12 pm

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, by far. It's the most fun of the sometimes boring Hagar albums.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:44 pm

probably 5150, with OU812 second. In my opinion each successsive album after 5150 was just a bit worse than the last, although the all have some good songs.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:58 pm

The reason i like the Roth albums waaaay more than the Van Hagar ones is because Van Halen was a straight up meat and Potatoes metal band before the keyboard stuff became prevelant. Half of 1984 is good too, but after that it's wussified cheese with the exception of Balance and F.U.C.K. I like the songs on OU812 but the production is really thin and the keyboards are still too upfront.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:43 pm

I must be the only Van Halen fan that did not care for 'OU812'
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:59 pm

manny wrote:

That's the most boring all. Every time I see a good review for it I'm left scratching my head. "When It's Love", "Feels So Good" and "Finish What Ya Started" (one of Van Hagar's best) are the only songs that stand out to me.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 7:18 am

For Unlawful
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 9:47 am

Quote :
the production is really thin and the keyboards are still too upfront

I think that statement could apply to plenty of 70's band that transitioned into the 80's and sort of "lost their direction" with the advent of newer technology, synthesisers and a new poppier, slicker sound that was taking over radio. Ted Nugent, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, etc.

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 9:52 am

manny wrote:

It's one of their absolute worst albums...in fact, it's a pretty good example of basic laziness & "our fans will buy anything" attitude in the songwriting department.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 9:56 am

detuned wrote:
manny wrote:

It's one of their absolute worst albums...in fact, it's a pretty good example of basic laziness & "our fans will buy anything" attitude in the songwriting department.

I thought that about Diver Down. Basically an EP with three new Van Halen songs, some silly fillers, guitar fluff and a few covers. Less than 30 minutes of music, it's basically an EP.

PostSubject: Re: Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?   Best Hagar-era Van Halen album? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Hagar-era Van Halen album?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next