Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM

Go down 
+23
mc666
akeldama
iamrockerfun
glassprison
Boris2008
ultmetal
jettafiend
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
metalinmyveins
ZombieHavoc
manny
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
MetallicSeminarian
journeyman
stepcousin
MoonChild
Troublezone
corplhicks
brokentulsa
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Empty
PostSubject: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:46 am

For me it is a toss up between Diver Down or ou812..not worth the efforts in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 1:02 am

Thought I would normally rush to say OU812, it's hard to argue against either III or Balance. And I'm going with III.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:36 am

VH III

I'll take any Roth or Hagar album over that pile.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 am

Troublezone wrote:
VH III

I'll take any Roth or Hagar album over that pile.

There goes!

That is my take as well.

VHIII ($hit)  WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM 352445 WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM 46812 Sleep don\'t know Suspect 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 3:08 am

Especially that close where Eddie tries to sing--I mean, I can appreciate his attempt at being vulnerable and going for a non-singer/Dylan vibe with his vocals, but he just sounds like shit and the whole song has an awkward flow to it.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am

VH III by a mile
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 7:12 am

I like all of the albums for different reasons, but if I had to, I'd say that OU812 is the weakest of the catalog. From my point of view, this album had the most Hagar influence.

The worst album is definitely Right Here, Right Now. This is the one Van Halen album, I hardly ever listen to. Live without a net, for me is a far better representation of the band.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 7:25 am

III. No contest. I like everything they've done, with this one exception.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:23 am

Everybody wants to shit on 'III' when, in fact, it's a strong musical record. It never had a chance since A- the whole world saw DLR come out w/ VH on MTV and made everyone want that and B- much of it didn't sound like then-recent VH. It's a deep record musically and lyrically, filled w/ some of Eddie's and Alex's best playing ever. A couple of the songs were a little weird ("Once" and "How Many Say I") but IMO that speaks to the diversity within Eddie's musical arsenal. Should Eddie have attempted to sing? Probably not. Were a couple of the songs a little long? Yeah. But 'III' is far from a throw away record.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 am

III by a mile.... Cherone is a great singer, but the songs were weak
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:55 am

III - it sucks.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:02 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Everybody wants to shit on 'III' when, in fact, it's a strong musical record. It never had a chance since A- the whole world saw DLR come out w/ VH on MTV and made everyone want that and B- much of it didn't sound like then-recent VH. It's a deep record musically and lyrically, filled w/ some of Eddie's and Alex's best playing ever. A couple of the songs were a little weird ("Once" and "How Many Say I") but IMO that speaks to the diversity within Eddie's musical arsenal. Should Eddie have attempted to sing? Probably not. Were a couple of the songs a little long? Yeah. But 'III' is far from a throw away record.

I have to agree with this, it took me a few spins to appreciate the album, but its not as lousy as everybody makes it out to be, but IMO still the worst Van Halen album in their discography.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:09 am

III.

But I don't like Extreme either.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:14 am

I one of the few Van Halen fans that must have liked both the DLR and Hagar years, I prefer the DLR era by wiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeee margin, but other then 'OU812' which I thought was ok, I liked all of their studio albums with Hagar, IMO 'Balance' is especially good and underrated.

'Right Here, Right Now' is an OK live album, but I agree 'Live Without a Net' is a better representation of this band live.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 am

Van Halen III by a wide margin. I actually revisited this album a couple of years ago to see if I was wrong with my first impression all those years ago, but I still found the album to be really boring. Second worst album would probably go to OU812 and third worst Diver Down.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:26 am

manny wrote:
I one of the few Van Halen fans that must have liked both the DLR and Hagar years, I prefer the DLR era by wiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeee margin, but other then 'OU812' which I thought was ok, I liked all of their studio albums with Hagar, IMO 'Balance' is especially good and underrated.

'Right Here, Right Now' is an OK live album, but I agree 'Live Without a Net' is a better representation of this band live.

I like both eras too. Agree on Right Here Right Now - according to Sammy's biography it's not really a live album as almost every track was re-recorded
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:28 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Van Halen III by a wide margin. I actually revisited this album a couple of years ago to see if I was wrong with my first impression all those years ago, but I still found the album to be really boring. Second worst album would probably go to OU812 and third worst Diver Down.

OU812 the production is too bone dry or something about his off putting, I am not an engineer so not sure how to describe it, plus no excuse for that tune 'Sucker In a Three Piece'

I like 'Diver Down' but too many cover tunes, thou I do like their take on the Kinks and Roy Obrision tune. I hated and still hate their version of 'Dancing in the Street'
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:29 am

thejokeriv wrote:
manny wrote:

I like both eras too. Agree on Right Here Right Now - according to Sammy's biography it's not really a live album as almost every track was re-recorded

I had forgotten he wrote that in his book, maybe that is why it sounds so stiff in parts
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:39 am

manny wrote:
I like 'Diver Down' but too many cover tunes, thou I do like their take on the Kinks and Roy Obrision tune.  I hated and still hate their version of 'Dancing in the Street'

Twelve songs, and four of them were covers. Whether one liked the covers or not, this album had uninspired written all over it. I'm sure much of it had to do with the fact that this was the bands 5th album in five years. At some point you hit a wall musically, I think "Diver Down" was their wall. They probably should have taken 1982 off.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:41 am

Speaking of Diver Down...I heard "Little Guitars" on the radio the other day. I am pretty sure that outside of their standard set of 6 or so songs that get played 72 times a day, I have never heard a random VH song pop up on classic rock radio.

Similarly, the alternative/new rock station here as been playing The Cult's "Fire Woman" on a regular basis recentyly. Weird.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 am

I'd go with III. Although I never heard the whole thing through , the stuff I did hear was not good. At all.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
manny wrote:
I like 'Diver Down' but too many cover tunes, thou I do like their take on the Kinks and Roy Obrision tune.  I hated and still hate their version of 'Dancing in the Street'

Twelve songs, and four of them were covers. Whether one liked the covers or not, this album had uninspired written all over it. I'm sure much of it had to do with the fact that this was the bands 5th album in five years. At some point you hit a wall musically, I think "Diver Down" was their wall. They probably should have taken 1982 off.

Well you are not wrong, here is a quote from Eddie Van Halen himself:

However, at the time whilst he admitted to the pressure the band was put under to record it, he was able to tell Guitar Player (Dec. 1982) that it "was fun": "When we came off the Fair Warning tour last year [1981], we were going to take a break and spend a lot of time writing this and that. Dave came up with the idea of, 'Hey, why don't we start off the new year with just putting out a single?' He wanted to do 'Dancing in the Streets.' He gave me the original Martha Reeves & the Vandellas tape, and I listened to it and said, 'I can't get a handle on anything out of this song.' I couldn't figure out a riff, and you know the way I like to play: I always like to do a riff, as opposed to just hitting barre chords and strumming. So I said, 'Look, if you want to do a cover tune, why don't we do 'Pretty Woman'? It took one day. We went to Sunset Sound in L.A., recorded it, and it came out right after the first of the year. It started climbing the charts, so all of a sudden Warner Bros. is going, 'You got a hit single on your hands. We gotta have that record.' We said, 'Wait a minute, we just did that to keep us out there, so that people know we're still alive.' But they just kept pressuring, so we jumped right back in without any rest or time to recuperate from the tour, and started recording. We spent 12 days making the album... it was a lot of fun." In addition to this, two of the original songs were around long before the album was made. "Hang 'Em High" can trace its roots back to the band's 1977 demos as "Last Night", which had the same music but different lyrics. "Cathedral" was also nothing new, being played in its current form throughout 1981 with earlier versions going back to 1980. Additionally, "Happy Trails" had been recorded for their 1977 demos as a joke.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:49 am

I never minded Diver Down (cover tunes and all). It's a fun album to listen to except for Happy Trails which is at least at the end of the cd and can easily be skipped/deleted.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:53 am

thejokeriv wrote:
manny wrote:

Yeah, you can tell it was pieced together...in the video/DVD counterpart, they're in different clothes and Ed's playing different guitars within the same song...haha!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:53 am

III without question.

If I had my way, I'd gather up every copy of that album in existence, load them into a rocket and fire it straight towards the sun.

PostSubject: Re: WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM   WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WORST VAN HALEN ALBUM
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next