Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.

Go down 
+22
Troublezone
sam
stepcousin
XYZ
nevermore
ramreb
HellRaiser
skullsmasher
Thrasher73
Tall Tyrion
akeldama
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shiney
ultmetal
the sentinel
SAHB Healer
mc666
rattpoison
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Empty
PostSubject: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 1:24 am

Hate me all you want, but I didn't grow up listening to Roth. I ike both versions of the band, but this stands out in my VH collection.

Plus, Dreams is the best song VH ever did, Hagar or not.

All my opinion of course.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:04 am

"Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-made you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? New Van Halen (Van Hagar) encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship".

- David Lee Roth

Whoops.......should probably be in the quotes thread but that pretty much somes up my opinion on the Sammy Hagar Van Halen era.......safe and vanilla.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:05 am

With less cover songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:06 am

I will say the end of the Van Hagar era is not my fave as well. I like the first 2 versions. Van Cherone did nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:10 am

DenimAndLeather wrote:
With less cover songs.

I think their cover's are pretty great.

I must admit the biggest reason i love classic Van Halen is Dave.....so Van Halen without Dave ain't going to do much for me....

.....But Sammy on the first Montrose record rocks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:11 am

I know and I like the rest of the band more than either of those 2. My fave member is Alex.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:34 am

those first 3 VH albums... man, that was some damn fine rock n roll. after that, it was hit or miss.

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:50 am

I saw them on the open for Montose and Journey mk I in spring 1978 (damn!), and then again in the late 80's with Sammy (yawn). C'mon SUC, you're just trolling for abuse here, admit it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 am

No way man. remember, I started liking rock music long after you. I wasn't raised on Roth.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 3:33 am

It's an excellent album. My favorite Vanhagar; but it ranks third behind VH2 and 1984. "Get Up" is my favorite track of the unreleased stuff, with "Dreams" as favorite single. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 4:00 am

Quote :
those first 3 VH albums... man, that was some damn fine rock n roll. after that, it was hit or miss.

No love for Fair Warning? That has always been my fav VH.

And as far as Hagar - Standing Hampton is an ALL-TIME classic that should be in every rockers collection. An all-around perfect album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 8:21 am

mc666 wrote:

BINGO!!! Although I'd say the first four VH albums. Not a fan of Van Hagar at all.

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 8:23 am

Van halen are one of the few bands that don't stand the test of time for me. I stopped listening to them in the early 90's and haven't looked back. Talented guys, just not something I wanted to continue listening to.

But as for 5150, yeah it was a favorite of mine as well. I preferred Van Hagar to the OG lineup.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 8:24 am

VAN HALEN....to me is Roth era...

After that it's HAGAR with a high profile backing band...

I loved HAGAR's solo stuff and agree woth Sax that 'Standing Hampton" is the dog's bone....

The CHERONE thing never happened....

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 8:56 am

Shiney wrote:
VAN HALEN....to me is Roth era...

After that it's HAGAR with a high profile backing band...

I loved HAGAR's solo stuff and agree woth Sax that 'Standing Hampton" is the dog's bone....

The CHERONE thing never happened....

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. 505193

This is my opinion exactly! Van Hagar is soooooo boring...every freakin' song sounds the same to me. But I love Roth-era VH and Sammy solo just rocks!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 9:37 am

I actually like both eras - prefer Roth, but I like of the Hagar stuff too. My first VH album was VH1 back in 77 and I also picked up 5150 the day it came out! I really like 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. I don't like the Van Cherone area - it;s not that he's a bad singer (probably the best range out of all three) but the songwriting was poor.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 am

Like both versions of the band (I'm not even gonna count the Cherone era), but it's apples and oranges. 2 different bands to me. Roth-era is classic. Fun party anthems. Hagar took them into different direction. Good, but not classic. 5150 is decent enough though. I haven't listened to any VH in awhile. I might have to break some out this weekend while I throw back a few cold ones at the shore.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:01 am

I was never a big fan of Hagar before he joined VH, and he was definitely not the kind of guy I would've picked as a replacement for DLR. Once Rotb left I walked away.

Of course, they went on to sell WAY more records with Hagar then they ever did with DLR so obviously they made the right decision, nevermind what I think...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:11 am

I do admire Hagar's lifestyle, especially in the post-VH years. While DLR has become somewhat of a cliche and joke, Sammy is living the life. He puts out albums when he feels like it, doesn't seem to care if it sells 5 or 50,000, chilling in Mexico with his tequila. He reminds me of a hard rock Jimmy Buffet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 am

My favorite VH albums are the debut and Fair Warning (Unchained!), like all the other Roth albums in varying degrees.

I saw the 5150 tour, it was an enjoyable concert, well-orchestrated, everything played note perfect and practiced to perfection. But if you take Roth/Hagar completely out of the equation...it just wasn't the same hungry band that recorded those earlier albums.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 am

FAIR WARNING I would say is the best Van Halen album IMO.

5150 has some good songs, only one from the Van Hagar era I'd ever get, not really too crazy about them after that.

MONTROSE is what I prefer when it comes to Hagar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 11:52 am

DeathCult wrote:
MONTROSE is what I prefer when it comes to Hagar.

humble
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Women and Children First then Fair Warning. I like some VHagar songs but not enough to buy an album.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Van Hagar all the way man. Roth wrote some stupid lyrics at times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 1:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxknORO1Vzk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.   5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5150 is the best Van Halen album, imo.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next