Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+8
rattpoison
mc666
scottmitchell74
Tall Tyrion
Stender
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
Shiney
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 2:40 pm

Stender wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
The Heart of Metal forum is Heavy Metal and Hard Rock. Where would you put it?

erh, probably its "only rock and roll".

A Forum for non-metal/hard rock-related music discussion? At the very least Mr. Rollins' music is hard rock. Black Flag was a punk/hardcore band that teetered on metal. Once again without a punk forum, it defaulted to the Heart of Metal.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 2:44 pm

I always had the impression that punk and even hardcore had more in line with traditional rock music then metal, but whichever.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 3:29 pm

That second clip, the letter to Carrot Top, is fan-freakin-tastic! lol!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 5:03 pm

Quote :
If he didn't sound like such a condescending
schmuck I'd appreciate his tales and stories more...But he always
struck me a ultra smug and I hate that.

He strikes me this way as well, and I can't get past it.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 5:34 pm

never much cared for him. i even liked Black Flag less after he joined.

Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 6:02 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
If he didn't sound like such a condescending
schmuck I'd appreciate his tales and stories more...But he always
struck me a ultra smug and I hate that.

He strikes me this way as well, and I can't get past it.

Another stop on the SAXON KICKING ASS FOR THE HONOR OF HENRY tour.....

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 6:04 pm

"I encourage intruders"

(Where's that quote from?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 6:14 pm

Well, I know MC is out by Shiney, But I hate Texas. Move back to Ohio SM - You can be my first stop.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 10:09 pm

I appreciate him from afar more than anything, i like what he does but never really got into his music.

His writing is great. One bit he wrote on Dave Lee Roth was spot on, he gets it and what the Diamond one is all about and another piece on Roky Erickson was brilliant.

Anyone who trumps and helps the incredibly overlooked genius of Roky gets a big tick in my book.

His radio show is great, he loves and plays alot of my favs like the Beasts Of Bourbon, Scientists, Hanoi Rocks, Cramps etc. So the guy has got great taste.

One bit of music i do love from him is his cover of 'Let There Be Rock' with Aussie punk legends the Hard-Ons....

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Well, I know MC is out by Shiney, But I hate Texas. Move back to Ohio SM - You can be my first stop.

Bring it on Bunny Boy. Ill be waiting :benchpress:
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Found this thread on Henry Rollins, when I listening to Black Flag little did I know that their frontman would become some sort of later day renaissance man. The dude that sang " TV Party" would one day have his own publishing company, be a demand on lecture circuit, start a trend of spoken word performance art, have his own mainstream talk show with real production values, etc incredible if you think about it.
The Rollins Band had some great musicians pass thru its ranks that never got any credit such as guitartist chris Haskett and bassist Melvin Gibbs, also the version of the Rollins band that featured Mother Superior was cool band that gave them a funky edge on songs like "the number is One". Great artist.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 pm

He was much better in S.O.A. then Black Flag. And of course as a solo artist he isn't even worth mentioning. When he left punk he left my stereo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:15 pm

manny wrote:
...also the version of the Rollins band that featured Mother Superior was cool band that gave them a funky edge on songs like "the number is One". Great artist.

That was a completely groovin' lineup, loved it!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:41 pm

I appreciate him most when he don't open his mouth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:30 am

I am going to see Henry open his mouth for 2 1/2 hours tonight at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. I'm giddy as a school girl! Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am

spectrefate wrote:
I am going to see Henry open his mouth for 2 1/2 hours tonight at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. I'm giddy as a school girl! Smile

Will you be hanging on his every word til he gets to the point? Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 am

I suppose I could listen to Republicans and Democrats toss around the bullshit ball on my TV or go hear a man who has intelligent thoughts, even if I do not agree with all of them.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:41 am

spectrefate wrote:
I suppose I could listen to Republicans and Democrats toss around the bullshit ball on my TV or go hear a man who has intelligent thoughts, even if I do not agree with all of them.

I would too but i wouldn't pay too much to see him. How much was the ticket?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:42 am

26 bucks. Not bad. I'm in the 4th row.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:44 am

spectrefate wrote:
26 bucks. Not bad. I'm in the 4th row.

Cool, have fun.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:58 am

That is cool Spec, I don't live too far away from Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center (about 15-20 minutes away), enjoy the show, if I had an extra dough I would have joined you and than would have gone for a few brews at my favorite dive the Hub.

Let us know what you think tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:32 am

So Spec how was Henry Rollins spoken show like? What were the topics he spoke about? I am curious I have never seen a Rollins spoken word performance. Give us a review, please.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:42 am

I don't review things. I have a hard enough time putting sentences together. But it was awesome. He spoke alot about the Palin lady and how Bush is his little buddy that has pretty much dictated where he has travelled in the last 8 years. Then he kind of went all over the place from Ted Nugent and Van Halen to travelling to Pakistan. He spoke for 3 hours straight. No break. No water. Just intensity for 3 hours. I absolutely loved it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:45 am

It sounded like it was a great performance I could not imagine speaking three hours straight without not even taking a break or at least a drink of water.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:50 am

I've watched his spoken word dvd's, but have yet to see him live. Would like to some day, but the opportunity always escapes me.

EDIT: Apparently he's playing my town on Nov. 2nd. From what I could find on the web, the show is either already sold-out, or tickets are $75 through a broker. Too expensive for me if I gotta buy 2 for the wife and me to have an evening out. *sigh*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread   The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Henry Rollins Appreciation Thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next