Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.

Go down 
+8
XYZ
DeathCult
EvyMetal
Shiney
Tall Tyrion
tohostudios
Troublezone
scottmitchell74
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Empty
PostSubject: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 4:14 am

I'm not sure there's been a more "Metal" author. Even though he had some personal philosophy that was idiotic/rasict/plain foolish the man could write an incredible story.

What's your favorite H.P. Lovecraft story?

Mine:

The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward - the man has many greats but this is easily my favorite. I love his fascination with antiquity, the occult, spells, etc....and tons of the elements about horror and suspense that I love are in this story.

On a side note, on of my favorite new bands - Dark Empire - has a song called The Alchemist that's about the main character of this book.

Other highlights:

Herbert West--Reanimator

The Shadow Over Innsmouth

At the Mountains of Madness

The Dunwich Horror

The Shunned House

These are just a few. Most of his stuff I love, but the above are highlights. Every couple years I cycle through all the Lovecraft I can get my hands on. I wish there was more stuff out there like it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 8:45 am

I've seen movies inspired by him but i don't know the actual story names. I like the Re-animator movies though.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 8:52 am

troublezone wrote:
I've seen movies inspired by him but i don't know the actual story names. I like the Re-animator movies though.

Same here. I've seen a ton of movies based on HP Lovecraft but I don't know that I've ever actually read him.

From Beyond
Reanimator(s)
Dagon
The Nameless
Dreams In The Witch House

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 9:01 am

The vast majority of the movies are so far off the stories (isn't that always true?).

I'm hoping modern big-budget movie people will get a hold of some of these and give them a nice treatment, especially The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward and
At The Mountains Of Madness.

(By the way, I like those movies, I just have to think of them as stand-alone and not HPL stuff)
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 9:11 am

I've read that Dagon is the most faithful Lovecraft film adaptation. It's based on Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 9:24 am

I didn't know there were so many Lovecraft film adaptations. I should check those out.

Big fan of his writing. I discovered Lovecraft in HS and never looked back. It's all good, but I prefer the stand alone stories to the Cthulu Mythos stories.

Rats in the Walls
Cool Air
In The Vault
Pickman's Model
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 10:12 am

I agree TallT, they're all good stories.

To me, most of those HPL-based movies are caricatures of his stories.

Man, if someone gave a honest treatment to his movies they'd be incredible.

I've seen one that came out in the 90's called The Resurrected (something like that) that was pretty faithful to The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward but it was low budget.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 11:01 am

Weird thing about Lovecraft is - the things he was writing about were considered fiction. But 80 years later, science is catching up with alot of his thoughts and they are turning out to be true/accurate! Way ahead of his time!!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 2:26 pm

"that was idiotic/rasict/plain foolish the man"....quote from Scott....

I love LOVECRAFT and while the above statement is intriniscally true, you must remember to view the time frame in which he lived and wrote and the common thoughts and views of that period...Not an excuse but just something one needs to do....

Sort of like editing out the BUCKWHEAT footage or MAMMY TWO SHOES vocals from TOM & JERRY...it ruins the art of it...when we attempt to rewrite the past with our current PCness, it's just bad....

That said, LOVECRAFT was exceptional in that his stories and books were fine but he created an entire mythos and back history for the populace therein...
I still love and read anything LOVECRAFTIAN and tend to write alot in that surrealist nightmare scape myself....

And I end with the following...for you fellow folks who may appreicate them:

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 2:30 pm

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Namelessdread[H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Cthulucircus

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 2:34 pm

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Recontext2
H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. 99742156_aebf3a59c7

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 2:56 pm

Those are awesome!!!

Quote :
I love LOVECRAFT and while the above statement
is intriniscally true, you must remember to view the time frame in
which he lived and wrote and the common thoughts and views of that
period...Not an excuse but just something one needs to do....

I understand this, else I wouldn't be a big fan. Still, I can't help the sick feeling in my gut when I see his way of thinking coming out in his writing. His awesome writing I think actually accentuates the fact that he was a disturbed freak.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 4:00 pm

My fave story: "Cool Air"

And as for "more stuff out there like it"

BRIAN LUMLEY great british author who mines the Lovecraftian mythos here and there...I have his short story collection which is great...and if you promise to return it unharmed, I will send it to you to read...

JAMES HAVOC...another great author but his stuff very dark and way way out there...I have one book called SATANSKIN. He went missing after it was pressed and I think never resurfaced..

One of my favorite is a book called "THE BRIDGE" by JOHN SKIPP & CRAIG SPECTOR, whoch can be obtained for cheap of ebay. Very Lovecraftian all the while retaining and individuality and vision of a modern enviromental holocaust beginning in backwoods PA...very unique... try it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 4:08 pm

Love those Cartoons. lol!

More Lovecraftian humor:

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Eated_me_first

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Autoexec-penny_to_eat

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Liz-noneuclid
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Quote :
BRIAN LUMLEY great british author who mines the
Lovecraftian mythos here and there...I have his short story collection
which is great...and if you promise to return it unharmed, I will send
it to you to read...

That's an incredibly thoughtful gesture! I am, however, hard on books. It's your call.

We should start a book-swap section.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 6:00 pm

I've read a lot of Brian Lumley. His Necroscope series is outstanding,
even if he did milk it a bit too much, IMO. Is that shory story
collection called Houses Without Walls or something similar? I have a
short story collection of his, but it's been many years since I looked
at it.

Ramsey Campbell also did some Cthulu mythos stories, IIRC.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 6:40 pm

The collection I have is entitled "Fruiting Bodies And Other Fungi"

Yeah, Campbell flirted around Lovecraftian territories before....

Another very bizarre almost HPish read is "House Of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 pm

Shiney wrote:
The collection I have is entitled "Fruiting Bodies And Other Fungi"

Ahhh.... heard of it.... never read it.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 1:26 am

My signature's got some Lovecraft in it.
VVV

My favourite stoies are of the Cthulhu Mythos.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:47 am

tohostudios wrote:
troublezone wrote:

Same here. I've seen a ton of movies based on HP Lovecraft but I don't know that I've ever actually read him.

From Beyond
Reanimator(s)
Dagon
The Nameless

From Beyond is one of my favs! What about Dean Koontz? He is my favorite writer. Check out his book Servants of the Twilight (or the movie)!
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:41 pm

troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
troublezone wrote:

From Beyond
Reanimator(s)
Dagon
The Nameless

From Beyond is one of my favs! What about Dean Koontz? He is my favorite writer. Check out his book Servants of the Twilight (or the movie)!

This is a Lovecraf appreciation thread! Not Koontz!!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 5:11 pm

I love Lovecraft. Im not too particular on his stories, they're all good to me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 6:31 pm

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Election08

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Shiney wrote:
H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Election08

And to go along with that, here are Chtulhu's Policies:

Political Positions

Q) What is your candidates stand on abortion? Will it/he/she merely outlaw human life itself and thus end the issue?
A) The Great Cthulhu cares little for mortal affairs and mortal politics. However, as a presidential candidate, it must take a stand. Cthulhu is, therefore, pro-choice because it cares little for what you do. However, it's in favor of keeping humans alive, so that it can taunt and toy with them before they go insane and it eats them.

Q) What is the canidate's position on campaign finances?
A) Cthulhu accepts any donation which a citizen wishes to make. It doesn't oppose contributions from organizations, conglomerates, or conspiracies. In fact, it accepts any and all types of financial assistance or other donations. Preferably, large quantities of currency will be sent along with human brains,other donated organs, or your first born.

Q)We were wondering what great Cthulhu's stance was on foreign policy/ foreign aid?
A) The Great Cthulhu views our foreign neighbors as equals to the United States. It encourages trade in all forms, including slave trade, child trafficking, and it will continue to give Primary Trading Partner status to the country which sells the most children worldwide. Cthulhu will provide support to those countries which do not commit any of the following acts:

• Population control. The more humans alive, the more for it to toy with, drive insane, or puree.
  • Genocide: See above.
  • Captial Punishment: See above.

Q)What would the Great Leader's position be on the U.S. Military? Would we see a shift away from cooperative multi-lateralism with the United Nations? How does the Great Leader feel about nuclear weapons?
A) Our future leader would ban a standing U.S. Military. Cthulhu does not feel that humans should have the privilege oo killing other humans, it reserves that right to itself.
The Great Cthulhu's solution to the United Nations will be to eat all current U.N. delegates. It will then build the U.U.N. (Unilateral United Nations)
Our Great Leader is greatly opposed to nuclear weapons in the possession of others, because the melting of human flesh, and mass destruction, are not mortal rights.

Q) What is Great Cthulhu's position on obvious cult fronts (such as Microsoft, Lego and most gaming companies); will he/she/it treat them as previous administrations have? (i.e. pretend they don't exist or support them/crack down on them) Also and more important will he treat all cultists equally, or give his particular thrill kill cultists preference leaving (for example) shub-niggurath disciples such as Clarence Thomas and Bob Packwood out in the cold?
A) Good question. Within the first 100 days of its reign, the Great Cthulhu pledges to destroy the following cults:

• Disney.
  • Mass Media.
  • Yuppies.
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken.
  • People who use the phrase "information superhighway".

Cthulhu cultists will be given the following priveleges:

• They will die last.

Q) What solution does your candidate have for the problem of massive overspending by the government on the poor and elderly. Does he have a way to free up this money for other important projects, like going to mars or building big guns.
A) The Great Cthulhu's solution to massive overspending by the government on the weak, will be to go right to the heart of the problem, by destroying the elderly, poor, and clinically insane. It does not need a big gun, and Mars will be eaten immediately following Earth's demise.

Q)My roommate, being a concientious citizen of the US, would like to know who wil l The Illustrious One's running mate be. And how will he solve the national deb t. I've told him, debt will no longer be a concern for his merely mortal mind t o ponder. Now, my concern, as a citizen of a foriegn country, how will Cthulhu rule my country as well. Please see to it that It is given more money for bombs and other implements of destruction. Will Cthulhu use psychic powers to drive u s all mad, or must a study be made of this?
As of yet, the almighty Cthulhu has not chosen a running mate. If you feel you know a good candidate, or perhaps you've eaten one lately, please submit your candidate suggestions to: runningmate AT cthulhu DOT org
As stated above, Cthulhu will treat all countries in the same manner as it treats the United States. No study will be needed, since to merely gaze upon it is insanity itself.

Q) What is the candidates stand on welfare? I think all of the bums should be eaten by mister cthulhu.
A) You are wise. You will be eaten second to last.

Q)How will Cthulhu deal with a strongly bipartisan Congress? How does Cthulhu plan to deal with the budget deficit? Has Cthulhu yet chosen a running mate? If so, who is it, and from whence did it come? Given that the candidate is now dead and dreaming in the Pacific, what measures will be taken to speed its awakening should it be elected president?
A) Cthulhu will have no problem dealing with Congress, as they will be the first to be eaten. The budget deficit will shrink drastically once Cthulhu cuts unnecessary spendings like Defense, Welfare and Social Security. Mass support of Cthulhu will raise the its awareness of the need to take control of our suffering country, and should lead to its return. The Great Cthulhu will awaken in time to take its presidential oath.

Q) Just what does Cthulhu think of the institution in corporate America known as the "power lunch"? Out here in California, it is often held at a Japanese restaurant and features sashimi (raw fish), tempura-fried vegetables, teriyaki chicken or beef, tonkatsu (a type of breaded pork chop) and/or sushi. Would it continue to be deductible under the IRS regulations if he were elected?
A) The Great Cthulhu is opposed to any an other such institutions. They sound way too nice. Anyone caught committing such a henious act will suffer multiple seconds of torture before being destroyed.

Q)If Great Cthulhu becomes president, we obviously would all go mad. Do we get to choose which particular pathological condition we are blessed with, or does the big C just roll a d100 and we get what we're given? Also: He's been dead but dreaming for quite a bit of time now. What's to say He's not going to be a bit sleepy when he wakes up? I mean, how's a Priest of the Old Ones supposed to destroy a world effectively if He's half-asleep for goodness sake?!
A) The Great Cthulhu will not give humans that kind of decision over their own fate. They are far too weak to be able to handle that kind of pressure. Ever notice how your potential for destruction increases when your in that state? This will only enhance Cthulhu's domestic policy.

Q) How does the Great Old One stand on the testing of nuclear weapons?
A) As long as Cthulhu does all the testing, it's a-okay.

Q)What about redundancy pay?
A) The Great Cthulhu will see to it that those receiving redundancy pay will suffer greatly, well, more so than normal.

Q)Will he, as president, go jogging? (what a nasty thought!)
A) The Great Cthulhu is in perfect health, and due to its high metabolism and steady diet of human flesh, has no pathetic human need for exercise. In fact, those humans caught jogging with be destroyed immediately.

Q) Pornography
A) Well since that isn't actually a question, Cthulhu is taking the stance that it will not read anything, just look at the pictures.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 8:19 am

EvyMetal wrote:
troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
troublezone wrote:

From Beyond
Reanimator(s)
Dagon
The Nameless

This is a Lovecraf appreciation thread! Not Koontz!!

Chill out bro. Don't get your panties in a wad! I did give a couple comments about Lovecraft not Lovecraf.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next