Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fanatic! by Henry Rollins

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Empty
PostSubject: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 3:53 pm

WARNING...THIS IS A BOOK REVIEW

Still reading this? Cool.

I just finished up Fanatic! by author, musician, actor, spoken-word artist, and sometimes stand-up comedian (really) Henry Rollins. Back in 2004, Henry had a weekly radio show on Indie 103.1 FM called Harmony In My Head which ran for 27 shows. On the show, Rollins played whatever he damn well pleased, going all over the place ranging from punk, blues, jazz, metal, hard rock, bluegrass and some spoken word stuff, mostly from his own personal collection. After each show, he posted his playlist along with his fan-boy notes about the artists.

The book is the published collection of notes with new additions & follow-ups. Rollins is very knowledgeable about obscure punk singles and little-known jazz & blues artists. This may not appeal to some of the posters on a 'metal' board, but for those of you whose taste falls outside of the 'metal realm' or if you have read some of his other works, you may find this quite enjoyable. It really opened up my eyes to other forms of music and some cool websites chock full of information.

You can check out his current playlists at: http://harmonyinmyhead.com/index.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 9:21 pm

One of the few human beings I can whole-heartedly say I completely
admire. I have been inspired by Mr. Rollins since I was in my
early teens, in the early 80's. I have every spoken word album,
music cd, various boots, dvds, a dozen of his books, and have seen him
perform numerous times.

I am happy to hear someone else on this forum also digs this artist.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 9:36 pm

While I have a few of his muiscal cd's, I'm more impressed with his books and spoken-word appearances. I've read and re-read most all of his books and have several dvd's. I have yet to see him live, but I hope to someday. Whenever he comes to Philly, he always plays very small venues that sell-out almost immediately.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 9:39 pm

i always thought Black Flag took a nose dive when Rollins joined. that's all i care to know about him.

PostSubject: Re: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 8:14 am

Quote :
i always thought Black Flag took a nose dive when Rollins joined. that's all i care to know about him.

And since you were 3 years old at the time, it must have had a HUGE impact on your opinion of BF.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 12:57 pm

how old i was when i first heard Black Flag is irrelevant. it has nothing to do with my opinion of their material.

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 3:42 pm

who is this rollin guy anyway. his name always remings me of a teacher i had at school who commited suicide becuase he hated his nose (not funny but true)

everyone who knows about him seems to worship him
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 5:39 pm

He was the lead singer of the punk band Black Flag, then leader of the Rollins Band. He's been in some movies, writes books, does spoken word/stand-up routines, and currently hosts a talk show on the Independant Film Channel. Quite the renissance man.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 6:02 pm

It should also be noted that he's very opinionated and people tend to love him or hate him. There's no middle ground.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fanatic! by Henry Rollins   Fanatic! by Henry Rollins Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fanatic! by Henry Rollins
Page 1 of 1