Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?

Go down 
+5
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
mc666
Tall Tyrion
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Empty
PostSubject: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Okay, this is a weird one; I know. But, bear with me.

There are so many truly atmospheric metal songs. Looking to the days of old, there were such epics as "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)", "Beyond The Realms Of Death", and "Sign Of The Southern Cross". With their soft/heavy contrast and intricate guitar work, these songs enable(d) listeners to transcend emotionally, intellectually, and, if conditions were right, physically.

What I've often wondered is, when in this state, are people more vulneralbe to persuasion? Have you ever woken up half asleep and revealed information to someone that you didn't want them to know? I think these songs put listeners in the same place where their judgment
is altered.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 11:15 pm

I'll try out this theory on my wife and let you know what I find out.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 12:59 am

get_the_firehouse wrote:

There are so many truly atmospheric metal songs. Looking to the days of old, there were such epics as "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)", "Beyond The Realms Of Death", and "Sign Of The Southern Cross". With their soft/heavy contrast and intricate guitar work, these songs enable(d) listeners to transcend emotionally, intellectually, and, if conditions were right, physically.

What I've often wondered is, when in this state, are people more vulneralbe to persuasion? Have you ever woken up half asleep and revealed information to someone that you didn't want them to know? I think these songs put listeners in the same place where their judgment
is altered.

Thoughts?
sure & Better By You, Better Than Me made two guys shoot themselves.

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 am

I say yes. Have you ever heard the song 'reggeta de blanc' by The Police? Not exactly metal but kind of the same sort of thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 4:16 am

mc666 wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:

is altered.

Thoughts?
sure & Better By You, Better Than Me made two guys shoot themselves.

And the prize goes to mc666! I was waiting for someone of bring that up. The thing to consider with that case is that that was subliminal. I'm talking about up-front, straight-up messaging.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 2:19 pm

I don't think it was messaging on Better By You, Better Than Me that made the kids do it. You should watch the documentary on that. I think it is their parents fault. Plus they were really troubled teens.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 3:17 pm

Um.... WHAT??

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. A Marilyn Manson song just came on the radio and now I am filled with the desire to dress all in black and go shoot up a mall.

What were we talking about?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Fixed this for you!

Fat Freddy
Quote :
Um.... WHAT??

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. A Marilyn Manson song just came on the radio and now I am filled with the desire to dress all in black and tuck my penis in between my legs.

What were we talking about?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 4:36 pm

I think any form of music can have those sorts of effects on people. It can definately set a mood or make you feel a certain way.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 5:25 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I don't think it was messaging on Better By You, Better Than Me that made the kids do it. You should watch the documentary on that. I think it is their parents fault. Plus they were really troubled teens.
i was being sarcastic

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 10:59 pm

mc666 wrote:
Lurideath wrote:
i was being sarcastic

Listen to Gary Wright lyrics at your own peril! "Dreamweaver"? "Strange Dream"? C'mon people, he's out to take over your mind while you are sleeping!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Hey, Firehouse, I don't think anyone's taking you seriously.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:38 pm

Schbopo wrote:

Yep. Welcome to the Heart of Metal message board!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:41 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

Yep. Welcome to the Heart of Metal message board!

Ya, it seems so....well then, umm.....METALLICA AND POLLS RULE!!!

That outta win them over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 3:24 am

Maybe if you took out the Metallica part. But yes, POLLS RULE!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 8:49 am

Schbopo wrote:
But yes, POLES RULE!

You'd make a perfect Navy man with that view.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 6:40 pm

lol! Heck yeah.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 7:54 pm

Hey firehouse...

ya takin' a psychology class or something ?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Listening to Priest's Grinder makes me want to go looking for meat. Is that wrong?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 2:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Listening to Priest's Grinder makes me want to go looking for meat. Is that wrong?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......Grinders
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 3:17 pm

James B. wrote:
Hey firehouse...

ya takin' a psychology class or something ?

lol, no. If you got the impression from this thread, I'm not one of those students who try and show off their learning like they're big shots. I've never even studied anything like this. I just think it's a cool topic. But, obviously, this board isn't very down with this kind of stuff. I'm beginning to get bored with the usual topics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?   Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Could atmospheric metal songs be used to assist persuasion?
Page 1 of 1