Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs

Go down 
+11
Temple of Blood
Smindas
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Chairman_Smith
MoonChild
kmorg
Hamer12
mc666
T-Roy
DallasBlack
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Empty
PostSubject: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 10:21 am

So much of my favorite non-metal music is being redone or sampled by some crappy rap, pop, or modern country band. In the past many non-metal songs have been turned into good metal songs but that seemes to die down these days (with a few exceptions).

While I was taking a trip down memory lane, I was watching The Neverending Story (a childhood favorite) and I could picture a galloping bass line, in the theme song like one found in Maiden or Hammerfall giving me the idea to make it a power metal song. However, someone beat me to it. Dragonland did a remake for a Japanese bonus track on one of their albums. This got me to thinking, what non-metal songs do you all think would be killer metal songs? What genre of metal?

My candidates are Pressure by Billy Joel (goth metal), Moody Blues-Nights in White Satin (goth metal), and Moody Blues-The Voice (progressive metal). Some may look at my songs and think I'm off my rocker, but I swear I can hear it in my head.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 10:23 am

VALCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATRAYUE!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 11:57 am

i'd love a doom version of Hanson's Mmm Bop. perhaps done by My Dying Bride.

Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 12:52 pm

Our band actually did a cool version of Elenor Rigby. I think we metalized it pretty well. We also did a metal version of the song from Star Wars they played whenever the Empire or Vader came around, I dont know exactly what it was called though.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 1:09 pm

I also have an idea to utilize the opening song from the Willow Soundtrack (Elora Danan) into an Epic metal song based on the story of that movie (also the song that plays when Madmartigan is kicking enemy A**).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 1:32 pm

I know some may laugh, but I personally feel that almost all of Depeche Mode's catalogue is 'metal worthy'.

First of all, there are already some metal versions of some of their songs and they sound great!

Lacuna Coil covered "Enjoy the Silence" and it's the best song on their latest album!

Rammstein covered "Stripped" and it was INCREDIBLE!

Depeche Mode, though they get lumped together with mainstream 'pop' are anything but! They have always remained true to themselves (which alone is a metal quality), and they have always always maintained a 'dark' sound - so much unlike the pop they get lumped with.

I think it would be great to hear:

"Never Let Me Down" covered by Paradise Lost

"Somebody" covered by Guns and Roses (by the way Axl is reportedly a fan of Depeche Mode - it's in their biography).

"Black Celebration" covered by Stratovarius

That would rule!

🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 2:03 pm

An epic metal version of Garth Brooks' "Thunder Rolls," as I discussed elsewhere.

I'd also love a metal band to cover Def Leppard's "Overture."
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 2:36 pm

You know, I was going to make this very thread today!! And now the thread is hear, I totally forgot what song I wanted to have as the example!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Paint It Black - Helloween has done a wonderful cover.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 4:16 pm

Hummm...All KISS stuff...! 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 4:20 pm

MoonChild wrote:
Bah! I'd like to never hear another cover of that damn song. Haha. It's been covered so many times before. I really like Rage's version of it. It's a little different than most.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 pm

Anvil did it too!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 4:51 pm

blackieboy wrote:
I know some may laugh, but I personally feel that almost all of Depeche Mode's catalogue is 'metal worthy'.

First of all, there are already some metal versions of some of their songs and they sound great!

Lacuna Coil covered "Enjoy the Silence" and it's the best song on their latest album!

Rammstein covered "Stripped" and it was INCREDIBLE!

Depeche Mode, though they get lumped together with mainstream 'pop' are anything but! They have always remained true to themselves (which alone is a metal quality), and they have always always maintained a 'dark' sound - so much unlike the pop they get lumped with.

I think it would be great to hear:

"Never Let Me Down" covered by Paradise Lost

"Somebody" covered by Guns and Roses (by the way Axl is reportedly a fan of Depeche Mode - it's in their biography).

"Black Celebration" covered by Stratovarius

That would rule!

🤘

Actually I would love to do a version of Enjoy the silence as a goth metal song in the vein of Type O Negative. I had that idea about six years ago but unfortunatly I don't have the means to do it (I'm a vocalist without a band). I shall have to hear Lacuna Coil's version first.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 5:44 pm

Hey Dallas, I'm a band without a vocalist!!!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 10:27 am

Hamer12 wrote:
Our band actually did a cool version of Elenor Rigby. I think we metalized it pretty well. We also did a metal version of the song from Star Wars they played whenever the Empire or Vader came around, I dont know exactly what it was called though.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIvUZWd09yc
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 10:41 am

Eyesore wrote:
MoonChild wrote:
Bah! I'd like to never hear another cover of that damn song. Haha. It's been covered so many times before. I really like Rage's version of it. It's a little different than most.

WASP did it too!

I love the doom metal cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 10:46 am

kmorg wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MoonChild wrote:

WASP did it too!

I love the doom metal cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'.

Anvil did a cover of "Paint It Black" too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 11:16 am

Glenn Tipton did a cover of "Paint It Black" on his first solo album (BAPTIZM OF FIRE) back in '97... it was one of the few listenable songs on that cd...

The German metal band Squealer has also covered Depeche Mode's "Enjoy The Silence" ...

And of course, REALM's speed metal version of the Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby" can never be topped! 🤘

Some oddball songs that I'd like to hear "metalized":

I always loved "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes, for some reason I can imagine this being done by someone like Def Leppard

David Bowie's "Heroes"

Anything by Duran Duran (just cuz I think it would be a hoot)
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 5:35 pm

I maintain that a metal version of The Safety Dance would kick bunghole. Just make the synths chugging guitars and you've got a power metal classic on your hands.

I will make it happen, one day.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 5:38 pm

Mike and the Mechanics - "Silent Running"
Survivor - "Burning Heart" (Manowar could cover this)
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 6:15 pm

Eyesore wrote:
An epic metal version of Garth Brooks' "Thunder Rolls," as I discussed elsewhere."

I don't know about an 'epic metal' version. Epic metal bands don't generally sing songs about relationships. They are too busy singing about war and dragons and stuff like that. I could hear a glam metal band covering it though.

Temple of Blood wrote:
Mike and the Mechanics - "Silent Running"

Those two are perfect!!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 6:16 pm

"Sign O' The Times" by PRINCE

"One Thing Leads To Another"- THE FIXX

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 9:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

German power metal band Seventh Avenue did a cover of that on their album, Between The Worlds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 9:57 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
German power metal band Seventh Avenue did a cover of that on their album, Between The Worlds.
Magnum covered it, too, but they called it "Brand New Morning." Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 12:31 am

I just thought of a killer cover.

Berlin - Take My Breath Away covered by Nightwish.

That would rule!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs   Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Non-Metal Songs That Would Make Good Metal Songs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next