Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deep Purple...

Go down 
+18
Addy
MetalGuy71
AngelRipper16
journeyman
DallasBlack
sam
TheGooch
Troublezone
skullsmasher
Pontus
the sentinel
manny
spiritoradio
James B.
XYZ
DeathCult
Olafsto
MetalH
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:25 pm

...Is the current band getting the most plays from me lately. I've been listening to Burn quite a bit. My favorite song is Sail Away. Right now, I'm into Coverdale and Whitesnake too so I've been listening to the early stuff. What's your favorite DP? And What's your favorite lineup?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:30 pm

In Rock is my favorite. Gillan and Blackmore when they are on are unstoppable, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:42 pm

Hard to pick one favorite album, so many great ones...
Perfect Strangers is one of my all time fav albums, so i`ll go with that one.
As for line ups, there is no competition, the classic mark II is in a class of it`s own!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 5:48 pm

...RULES! I love DP, mainly the Gillan era, such a great voice along with Blackmore's excellent guitar playing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 6:32 pm

spectrefate wrote:
In Rock is my favorite.

Same here. Speed King got me hooked. 🤘
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 7:08 pm

I am partial to the first Gillan era, played lots of Purple tunes in the keg party band era of my youth. The Coverdale / Hughes / Bolin stuff is pretty good too. Saw them a few years back with Morse and it was good stuff. Though I have to say that I was most impressed with Ian Paice at that particular show.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:19 am

Machine Head all the way!!! Fantastic from front to back. I might even go as far as to say, perfect album?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:24 pm

Deep Purple one of my favorite bands, in my personal top ten, favorite line up Mark II line up but I like all the line ups, favorite albums by DP are In Rock, Perfect Strangers, Fireball, Burn, and Come Taste the Band the most unrated Purple cd featuring the great Tommy Bolin on guitar.
Steve Morse era is also excellent, and I am glad he didnot go in trying to sound like Blackmore. Deep Purple no matter which line up is a class act.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:26 pm

All Deep Purple, all the time!!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 132

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:34 pm

Their first albums are pretty weird. But In Rock, Fireball and Machine Head are some of the greatest albums of all times! And Made in Japan must be one of the greatest live albums. Burn are great as well! I love the co-op between Coverdale and Hughes, they both got fantastic voices!
Back to top Go down

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:38 pm

I think Hughes sang like crap live back then. He didn't mesh well with Coverdale on stage. Watch their performance at The California Jam in '74 for evidence of this. But on the albums he was OK. But the 2 vocalist thing was unecessary, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 132

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:41 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I think Hughes sang like crap live back then. He didn't mesh well with Coverdale on stage. Watch their performance at The California Jam in '74 for evidence of this. But on the albums he was OK. But the 2 vocalist thing was unecessary, IMO.

I got the California Jam DVD and I can't find anything wrong about Hughes/Coverdale actually. I think it's a great show and they're doing well, expect Ritchie's classic stage slaughter at the end.
Back to top Go down

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Hughes sounds like an injured bird in parts of that DVD. His screaming is shrill and very annoying. Give me Roger Glover any day.

Blackmore is Blackmore. If I were as good as him, I'd be Over the top as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:05 pm

I don't find Glenn Hughes singing on " California Jam" as annoying as spec does, but you have to admit Coverdale and Hughes voices didn't always blend so well live, in the studio perfect, live not always, but the concert is so good I just go with it, and enjoy the fact that live Deep Purple no matter what line up always owned that stage.
Spec if you haven't had a chance check it Glenn Hughes solo albums I think you would enjoy those albums very much.
Back to top Go down

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Don't get me wrong, I dig Glenn Hughes. Just not in Purple. I love him on Seventh Star and the song he did on the last Quiet Riot album was solid as well.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 9:13 pm

I saw Steve Morse On the Tonight Show Several years ago and the dude blew me away. I hope to see him live some day
Back to top Go down

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 9:29 pm

I saw him live July of 2007. Didn't impress me much. But then I'm a big Blackmore fan.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 11:52 am

I also like In Rock the best.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Listening to Deep Purple live album "In The Absence of Pink: Kive In Knebworth 85", Blackmore's playing nothing short of genius.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 10:32 am

manny wrote:
I don't find Glenn Hughes singing on " California Jam" as annoying as spec does, but you have to admit Coverdale and Hughes voices didn't always blend so well live, in the studio perfect, live not always, but the concert is so good I just go with it, and enjoy the fact that live Deep Purple no matter what line up always owned that stage.
Spec if you haven't had a chance check it Glenn Hughes solo albums I think you would enjoy those albums very much.

i saw footage of them playing play burn at the cal jam somewhere and they had an amazing chemistry
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 10:42 am

I have the California Jam DVD, and I like the show alot, the band sounds great, excellent song list etc, but I do feel at points during the concert Hughes and Coverdale voices didnot blend well. I donot know if it was due to the equiment or whatever the case maybe, but it was a great show. In the studio those two men's vocals sound perfect together, live Hughes at times seem to sing slightly off key.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 1:12 pm

great band, child in time is one of my favorite songs of all time
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:03 pm

Pretty much any Deep Purple is alright in my book.

The first 3 albums with Rod Evans have quite a few classic tracks, Hush being a definite standout.

The Mark II lineup is peerless, they could have played any kind of music they wanted to and pulled it off beautifully. Fireball is my absolute favorite from this era.

The Mark III lineup I think worked best on Burn, but I'm a Gillan nut so I'm not as enamored with Coverdale...I actually wish Glenn Hughes had been the full-time singer.

The version with Tommy Bolin is probably the least successful but there are still some good moments.

Gotta love the re-formed Mark II lineup that did Perfect Strangers/House Of Blue Light/The Battle Rages On.

Not that crazy about the album with Joe Lynn Turner, it's an okay album on it's own but not really Deep Purple I.M.O.

Now, the Steve Morse lineup...this is a GREAT band and unfortunately underrated. Morse has been the lead guitarist now for 13 years and proved to be the perfect addition to the band. As much as I love Blackmore, they have been able to grow and try new styles with Morse that they could have never pulled off with Richie in the band.
Back to top Go down

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:10 pm

detuned wrote:

The Mark II lineup is peerless, they could have played any kind of music they wanted to and pulled it off beautifully. Fireball is my absolute favorite from this era.
Gotta love the re-formed Mark II lineup that did Perfect Strangers/House Of Blue Light/The Battle Rages On.

I love Fireball as well. Alot of people, even the band do not like that one. The reformed Mark II was great because of the tension. They made some great records with that lineup.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:11 pm

DP is one of those bands that I will buy everything from- all remasters, rereleases (with or without bonus tracks), live albums, imports, etc. Although I am a huge David Coverdale fan, I prefer Gillan era DP to Coverdale/Hughes era, but only slightly. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Deep Purple... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple...   Deep Purple... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep Purple...
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: