Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Later day DEEP PURPLE

Go down 
+6
Lurideath
GrandNational
akeldama
nevermore
manny
ultmetal
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Later day DEEP PURPLE Empty
PostSubject: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 am

What would you say are some of the better Deep Purple studio albums from 1990 to current?

1. Purpendicular
2. Rapture of the Deep
3. Abandon
4. Bananas

Purpendicular and Rapture of the Deep are vastly underrated Purple albums IMO.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 am

I love them all but I would vote for Purpendicular, IMO just as good and even better then some of classic Deep Purple albums featuring Mark II and Mark III line up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 am

All of those albums are excellent, I think I'd rank them exactly the same as you have.

Here are the main reasons I love this era of Deep Purple:

1. They continue to develop their sound and record challenging new material. The sound of a group that is so confident in their identity they don't feel the need to re-create their "classic" era.

2. Steve Morse brought in an entirely new palette of sounds to choose from, this in turn truly inspired the rest of the band, who sound reborn. I love Blackmore, but I really think Steve has allowed them to mature musically to a level that they probably couldn't have reached without him.

3. Ian Gillan's writing is better than ever, the tongue in cheek element is of course still ever present, but he continues to develop as a story teller.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:07 pm

I agree with your statement detuned regarding Steve Morse and Deep Purple, as much as I like 'The Battle Rages On', at that point in their career, Blackmore was forced to work with Ian Gillan again, which he clearly didnot want to do and they wrote a safe Deep Purple album, a good album but not an album that band was very pleased by, and an album where the band stayed within the Purple sound. Steve Morse allowed the band to grow and also rebuild their audience internationally, if Blackmore had remained I think we would have seen the band in decline especially due to Blackmore's attitude regarding Ian Gillan.

Also like the fact that Steve Morse didnot try to play like Blackmore came into the band with his own identity.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:16 pm

manny wrote:
especially due to Blackmore's attitude regarding Ian Gillan.

I think it's probably just Blackmore's attitude in general.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:
especially due to Blackmore's attitude regarding Ian Gillan.

I think it's probably just Blackmore's attitude in general.

That maybe a more accurate statement, also his heart was not in it anymore, after leaving Deep Purple he formed a new version of Rainbow (worth looking into btw) and than after a short whirlwind tour broke that band up and did Blackmore's Night with his gal, people have even reported sightings of Ritchie Blackmore smiling.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 pm

I haven't heard Abandon or Bananas. But Purpendicular And Rapture Of The Deep are both really good albums.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 3:08 pm

I like them all and in the same order as you. I put off listening to/buying Bananas because the cover art really looked lame. I usually don't let that affect me when I buy a CD but it did on Bananas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Bananas is a really good album. If classic rock radio paid any attention to new albums by artists like Purple, then "Walk On" should have been a hit.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:12 pm

The first two albums with Steve Morse are super great.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:13 pm

detuned wrote:
Bananas is a really good album. If classic rock radio paid any attention to new albums by artists like Purple, then "Walk On" should have been a hit.

Another reason radio sucks, with the expection of Aerosmith and AC/DC, radio for the most part ignores newer music from older artists.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:42 pm

I've never heard any of the songs or albums with Steve Morse on guitar. Not that I didn't want to, just lost interest in the band. Guess I need to check them out.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Perfect Strangers is the newest purple album I own.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:58 pm

The Morse lineup is even better live than on the studio albums. I recommend "Live At The Olympia '96", "Total Abandon" & "We All Came Down To Montreaux 2006".
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 8:56 pm

7thSecond wrote:
Perfect Strangers is the newest purple album I own.

I'm one up on ya, "House of the Blue Light." Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I agree detuned, but I think maybe I'd place Bananas at the top if for no other reason than the song Haunted. Ian Gillan really shows his enormous talent and is perfectly complemented by Steve's consumate playing. My respect for the band has grown with the release of each album. It's too bad that radio ignores them. The world could use a little more purple.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Purpendicular
Abandon
Rapture

In that order for me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:25 pm

1. Rapture
2. Bananas
3. Purpendicular
4. Abandon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:35 pm

The song '69 from Abandon has one of my favorite Ian Gillan witticisms:

"Your Mama said you slept real good in your food last night"
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:37 pm

detuned wrote:
The song '69 from Abandon has one of my favorite Ian Gillan witticisms:

"Your Mama said you slept real good in your food last night"

I love that song, oh hell I love that whole album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 1:47 am

The only recording after Perfect Strangers that I'm familiar with is Rapture of the Deep, and me likey. The first half at least. The first half sounds like a total comeback. It's a very admirable outing, despite the fact that Blackmore and Jon Lord are absent. And, they're the two dudes who basically forged the patented DP sound. But, Airey and Morse come in and do their business like it's their house and they're the ones who invented the DP sound. That middle-eastern line from the title track is hardcore, vintage DP. I saw them on some live video or another and that Morse character completely rips it on his twanger.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 1:56 am

Marc Mason wrote:
The only recording after Perfect Strangers that I'm familiar with is Rapture of the Deep, and me likey. The first half at least. The first half sounds like a total comeback. It's a very admirable outing, despite the fact that Blackmore and Jon Lord are absent. And, they're the two dudes who basically forged the patented DP sound. But, Airey and Morse come in and do their business like it's their house and they're the ones who invented the DP sound. That middle-eastern line from the title track is hardcore, vintage DP. I saw them on some live video or another and that Morse character completely rips it on his twanger.

I actually like that whole album, my favorite song is the last one: Before Time Began. Very cool track.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:04 am

Maybe daddy needs to dig a little deeper into the deep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Later day DEEP PURPLE   Later day DEEP PURPLE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Later day DEEP PURPLE
Page 1 of 1