Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning

Go down 
+8
SAHB Healer
krokus
Olafsto
ultmetal
kmorg
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Empty
PostSubject: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 11:59 pm

What are some bands that sound like this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 12:19 am

you could try his solo album, Twist of Fate. I am not much of a
fan, so I won't give ya my 2 cents on it. He does have a pretty
cool voice, though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 10:37 am

Vintage Crimson Glory (the s/t from 1986 and TRANSCENDENCE from 1988) would probably be up your alley.

A more recent band in that vein would be Onward. They're broken up now but they released two CDs in the early 00s that were quite good.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 11:50 am

Crimson Glory's first two albums are AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 1:37 pm

John Arch solo material.....

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 2:12 pm

I agree with Kmorg. If you haven't already picked it up, be sure and pick up John Arch's solo CD. Incredible!

Also Crimson Glory isn't a bad pick.

I would also recommend WARLORD.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Crimson Glory for sure
You might also wanna try out the latest from Norwegian
SCARIOT- Momentum Shift, the singer is very inspired by John Arch. Steve DiGiorgio of Sadus plays bass on it. Good album!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 10:11 am

STEEL PROPHET would be the band you should check out. Specialy their album DARK HALLUCINATIONS with even a FATES WARNING cover song on it.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 3:28 pm

What song do they cover?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 8:00 pm

This gives me another opportunity to plug the French band "Sortilege" and their Metamorpose album.
Also I might consider Barren Cross to be in that neighborhood. As for Crimson Glory; that is what you are looking for, but avoid the "Strange and Beautiful" CD; as they had abandoned their classic sound by then.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Another band with that 80's classic metal meets epic metal sound is
CIRITH UNGOL, however the vocals are quite different than John Arch. He
has a very unique style.

Another band I remembered that may qualify is Veni Domine. "Fall
Babylon Fall" and "Material Sanctuary" should be right up your alley.

ult

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 8:20 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
This gives me another opportunity to plug the French band "Sortilege" and their Metamorpose album.
Also I might consider Barren Cross to be in that neighborhood. As for Crimson Glory; that is what you are looking for, but avoid the "Strange and Beautiful" CD; as they had abandoned their classic sound by then.

I'll check out Sortilege.

I heard they sold out on Strange and Beautiful and it has more in common with Poison, Bon Jovi, Winger, and Warrant than anything. Is this true?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 9:48 pm

Required Fields wrote:

I heard they sold out on Strange and Beautiful and it has more in common with Poison, Bon Jovi, Winger, and Warrant than anything. Is this true?

I wouldn't compare "Strange & Beautiful" with bands like Poison, etc... but it is definitely a departure from the other C.G. albums. It sounds more like Led Zeppelin with a slightly spacier edge. Not exactly an album that makes me think "sellout," more like "what the heck were you guys thinking?"

I actually like a couple of songs on "S&B" but it definitely ranks at the bottom of the pile in Crimson Glory's discography.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 12:09 am

Yeah, Crimson Glory Strange and Beautiful was more along the lines of Kingdom Come and Whitesnake. Zep lite. Some people like it.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 9:10 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
Yeah, Crimson Glory Strange and Beautiful was more along the lines of Kingdom Come and Whitesnake. Zep lite. Some people like it.

Count me in as one who likes it. Indeed the band did move from the epic heavy metal style to a slightly more blues based style of metal/hard rock, but I'd hardly call it a 'sellout'. I think more than likely the band just wanted to try something different. I thought they were successful at it myself. Comparing them to Poison, Winger and Bon Jovi is WAY off.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40551

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2007 8:00 am

Required Fields wrote:
What song do they cover?

The Apparition
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2007 9:29 am

I thought of another band that might interest you... Icarus Witch. Their ROSES ON WHITE LACE ep and CAPTURE THE MAGIC full length are quite good. And as a matter of fact, Frank Aresti from Fates Warning makes a guest appearance on the track "The Ghost of Xavior Holmes" on CAPTURE THE MAGIC.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2007 10:24 am

007 wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
What song do they cover?

The Apparition

Yes, that is the answer🤘 🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2007 8:51 pm

SCREAMER - "Target: Earth"
DEADLY BLESSING - "Ascend from the Cauldron", "An Eye to the Past"
TALISPHERE - "3 song demo" (vocalist Chris Cronk was the original replacement for John Arch)
MYSTIC FORCE - "A Step Beyond"
CAULDRON BORN - "Born of the Cauldron", "And Rome Shall Fall"
STEEL PROPHET - "Dark Hallucinations"
Back to top Go down
fishingd
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
fishingd

Number of posts : 297

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Kiler two album here... Love Ski vocals on this album..good power metal!

By the way welcome to Heart of Metal Jim...

Last edited by on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2007 9:02 pm

not sure if this is a perfect match but I suggest a band that Saxon turned me onto called CONDITIONED RESPONSE.

killer vocals!!!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 5:02 pm

Here's another band that might fit the Fates Warning-ish bill... Zion's Abyss, a Canadian band from the early 90s.

Their lone album, TALES, was only released on cassette (remember those?) back in 1991. Sadly, the band broke up shortly afterwards because the guitarist was killed in an auto accident. The album is about to be reissued as a limited edition CD (only 1000 copies) by Steel Legacy Records in Greece:

http://steel-legacy.com/b/?page_id=3

I'd say fans of Fates Warning, Crimson Glory and vintage Priest would enjoy this one. I got a copy of it some time ago from a friend of the band and I dig it immensely 🤘

Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Zionsabyss1991talescoveet7
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 6:22 pm

I'll need to check out Zion's Abyss, then.

I noticed Temple of Blood mentioned Screamer. Excellent band, check out their site if you've never heard them.

http://www.screamertargetearth.com
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 6:27 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
TALISPHERE - "3 song demo" (vocalist Chris Cronk was the original replacement for John Arch)

Ohhh, i realy love that first DEADLY BLESSING album. Pure US METAL the way i love it. CAULDRON BORN were great too(are they still around?), specialy GOD OF METAL in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 6:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Ohhh, i realy love that first DEADLY BLESSING album. Pure US METAL the way i love it. CAULDRON BORN were great too(are they still around?), specialy GOD OF METAL in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning   Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for bands in the vein of John Arch-era Fates Warning
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next