Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders

Go down 
+9
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
Tall Tyrion
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
rattpoison
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Empty
PostSubject: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 6:47 am

Music over the years is littered with these, bands/artists that came and layed down a great full length record and then are gone as quickly as they came. Some of my favourite bands/records fall in this category, which is sad but good because it keeps the mystery of the band and your not oversaturated with poor follow ups (See Guns N' Roses).

Anyway some of my favourites:

1. The La's - The La's (1990)
2. Nymphs - Nymphs (1991)
3. Sea Hags - Sea Hags (1989)
4. Crash Street Kids - Little Girls (1982)
5. NY Loose - Year Of The Rat (1996)
6. The Loveless - A Tale Of Gin & Salvation (1995)
7. The Front - The Front (1989)
8. Candy - Whatever Happened To Fun (1985)
9. Mother Love Bone - Apple (1990)
10. Scarce - Deadsexy (1996)
11. Wendy James - Now Ain't The Time For Your Tears (1993)
12. Sugarbomb - Bully (2001)
13. Rene Berg - The Leather, The Loneliness, And Your Dark Eyes (1992)
14. The Hutchinson's - Plastic Fruit & Popcorn (1997)
15. The Wanderers - Only Lovers Left Alive (1981)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:22 am

I got one: PRINCESS PANG (1989)

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Ffd9bc70_2

This NYC band was dismissed as "Female fronted GNR clones" because of the outfits, but they weren't quite as hard edged as Axl and crew. Lead singer Jeni Foster had a killer voice and the band had hooks a-plenty. They were kind of an oddball band for Metal Blade Records, but I guess at the time every label was trying to get a piece of the sleaze/glam rock pie. Highlight tracks were the video singles "Find My Heart A Home" and "Trouble In Paradise."

Apparently this disc is quite collectible nowadays, luckily I came across it in a used bin for a mere 99 cents about ten years ago!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:23 am

Smashed Gladys
Tuff Darts

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:30 am

The Electric Bungholes

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders EBRTW

Last edited by spectrefate on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:33 am

You're making that up...

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:36 am

tohostudios wrote:
You're making that up...

Nope. Look it up.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:39 am

yeah I remember Princess Pang,FF.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:41 am

thrasher73 wrote:

Good stuff, if you dig the early Aerosmith albums, mixed with a hint of Johnny Thunders and NY Dolls style 'tude.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:42 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Good stuff, if you dig the early Aerosmith albums, with a hint of Johnny Thunders and NY Dolls.

That sounds like something I'd like. But I ain't paying $35 for it (Amazon's price)

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:45 am

tohostudios wrote:

That sounds like something I'd like. But I ain't paying $35 for it (Amazon's price)

Ouch. Yeah, like I said, I got lucky and found it for 99 cents. It wasn't till a few years later that I found out about the crazy prices it fetches on eBay and so forth.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:49 am

Axtion.

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Axt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:33 am

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders 18179
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 11:34 am

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Heavens

These guys were local favorites and were promoted as the "next big thing" out of Philly, after Cinderella and Britney Fox made their mark. Unfortunatley for them, they kinda got lost in the shuffle on all the other hair/glam bands coming out at the time. There was a popular rumor circulating at the time that MTV was looking for another band to promote and it came down to these guys (east coast) and Warrant (west coast) and for whatever reason, Warrant got the push, got into heavy rotation and as they say, the rest is history. I have no idea if any of that is even remotely true, but as fans of the band, it certainly seemed logical to us at the time. As time went on, the band members went seperate ways and a 2nd album of demos and unreleased material was cobbled together, but this was their only official studio release. They re-united one or twice for benefit shows, but the lead singer Marc Evans basically wants nothing to do with the other members anymore, or so I've heard.

Last summer, these guys were playing a benefit show for a guy with cancer with a bunch of other local bands and a buddy & I went to see them. Since they were the 2nd "biggest" name on the bill (the 1st being Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers, remember them?), we assumed they'd be going on later. Turns out, they went on early, played 3 songs and as soon as they were done, the singer walked right out the door. We missed them by about 10 minutes. Afterwords, we talked to the guitarist, Reggie Wu, and he told us about Marc and his "not wanting to live in the past".

Anyway, as far as the album goes, it's melodic hard rock in the vein of Dokken, White Lion, the aforemntioned Philly bros, etc. Anyone into that style would be sure to enjoy this.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 1:37 pm

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders 51Qd0ibKBtL._SL500_AA240_

Blind Illusion: The Sane Asylum
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:23 pm

The Throbs - The Language Of Thieves and Vagabonds

I also liked Gilby Clarke's pre-GnR band Kill For Thrills and their one album "Dynamite From Nightmareland"

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Or how about this one:

Life Sex & Death - The Silent Majority

The band fronted by a mentally impaired homeless person

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 3:03 pm

Rage of Angels - st
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders H29536arnrp Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders C57949d65y5
Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders D13341821h6 Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders C40997ht2hi
Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders G54352arnrp Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders F44708p1e9h
Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders D78336qq1vg Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Odyssey-OdysseyEP
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Temple Of The Dog
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 6:40 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Rage of Angels - st

Great CD! I have the original pressing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders 415_01_12_2008_12_32_06_fearnot

This is a pretty solid hard rock disc by former members of the Christian band Love Life (whose GOODBYE LADY JANE album would also qualify for this thread, as that band was "one album and gone" too.) Sound wise it was kinda like Skid Row's first album. Unfortunately by the time this album was released the hair metal ship had pretty much sailed away, leaving this band dead in the water.

Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:42 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Smashed Gladys

They had 2 albums - a s/t came out a couple of years before Social Intercourse. Some songs from 'Social' actually came from the s/t but were re-worked.

The s/t has a great cover of T Rex's Metal Guru too. Anyway, both are great listening to music

My pick is the Hollywood Brats.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:27 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:
Rage of Angels - st

Great CD! I have the original pressing

You have an uncontrolable compusion to send that cd to me.

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders 223203138_91b870f27a_o

It is useless to resist. YOU WILL OBEY!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Fear Not is a great choice!

Red Sea was another superb one-cd band.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:29 pm

No one else on the BLIND ILLUSION?! Shocked

You all can go suck a railroad spike
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders   Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hit N' Runs: Greatest One Album Wonders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next