Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)

Go down 
+27
MoonChild
MetallicSeminarian
exact33
Dark Horseman
adrian
metalinmyveins
SpectreFate
Lurideath
Boris2008
Thrasher73
Wurthless
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
EmoElmo
SideShowDisaSter
Leatherface
Troublezone
Gilbert
DallasBlack
jettafiend
mc666
stormspell
corplhicks
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Feel the Fire
Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_lcap10%Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
Taking Over
Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_lcap38%Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_rcap
 38% [ 15 ]
Under the Influence
Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_lcap13%Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_rcap
 13% [ 5 ]
The Years of Decay
Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_lcap18%Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_rcap
 18% [ 7 ]
Horrorscope
Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_lcap21%Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Vote_rcap
 21% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 39

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Empty
PostSubject: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:53 am

So I did some digging and couldn't find this anywhere, so here we go. Overkill is my favorite thrash band and it's very, very difficult for me to choose the best album between Fire and Horrorscope, so I wanted to see what you guys think. I usually lean towards Taking Over, but then I always lean somewhere else eventually. Thanks for participating.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:56 am

Tough choice. It went down between first 4, and after flipping a coin "Feel the Fire" got the chalk

Last edited by stormspell on Thu May 16, 2013 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:57 am

They are all very good, but The Years of Decay is my particular favorite.

jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:01 am

I went with Under the Influence as that is the only one of the earlier albums that I have listened to with any kind of frequency.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:08 am

stormspell wrote:
Tough choice. It went down between first 4, and after flipping a coin "Feel the Fire" got the chalk

Pretty sure I'll have to flip a coin as well lol.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:54 am

I have all those except Taking Over and of the ones I have, I like the music on Feel the Fire more than the other three.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 2:25 am

Taking Over gets the nod from me. It was the first Overkill album I purchased and is a sentimental favorite. They probably had more solid albums after, but this is one lean, mean record.

Deny The Cross, Powersurge, Electro-Violence, Wrecking Crew...

I would actually not include "Horrorscope" with this initial batch because I think the 2-guitar lineup was a significant change in their approach. They became more technically proficient but I think they also lost a little bit of the "grit" they had on the first 4 albums.

I'd rank the first 4 albums this way:

1. Taking Over
2. Years Of Decay
3. Under The Influence
4. Feel The Fire

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 2:59 am

I hesitated before adding Horrorscope to the bunch; only reason why it's here is simply because I wanted to discuss Overkill before they injected more modern groove into their sound.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 3:02 am

corplhicks wrote:
I hesitated before adding Horrorscope to the bunch; only reason why it's here is simply because I wanted to discuss Overkill before they injected more modern groove into their sound.
It could be argued, that Horrorscope was where they added the Groove element.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 3:13 am

It could, but Horrorscope is moreover pure thrash compared to efforts that followed (I think of them as hybrids. Very good, but hybrids nonetheless). This of course excludes WFO.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 3:39 am

Horrorscope, simply because it is a masterpiece headbanger
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 4:15 am

The Years of Decay has always been my favorite. It was my introduction to the band and in my opinion, has never been surpassed.

But like mc said, they're all good!
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 5:59 am

Taking Over for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 6:01 am

I'm pretty much right there with SD. Taking Over was the first Overkill I bought and listened to. Nostalgia may play its part, but it's also an incredibly strong album top to bottom.

That said, you can't really go wrong with ANY of those albums listed!!

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 6:39 am

Horrorscope is a bit overrated IMO (but still gooood!)

Years of Decay for me hands down

but I prefer the thick-sounding modern Overkill though ....
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 7:11 am

Taking Over by far!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 8:17 am

FEEL THE FIRE dammit!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 9:11 am

I went with Taking Over because it was the album that made me a fan. You can't go wrong with any of those records IMO.

As a matter of fact, I like Taking Over so much that "Powersurge" from this album was one of my picks when Ultimatum was choosing songs for our covers album.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 9:23 am

Everyone of them is fantastic, but I went with Taking Over. It was my first Overkill cd and it just shreds from beginning to end.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 9:37 am

Horrorscope was my first Overkill album, so I voted for that one. They're all good though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 10:26 am

I enjoy all five of them, but I voted for The Years of Decay. Under the Influence is very close, however.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 10:29 am

Taking Over. It's the only one that really holds my attention. For some reason, I've never been a huge fan of Overkill.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 11:07 am

All very good albums but I went with Under the Influence for nostalgia reasons.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm going to have to go with Taking Over because I listened to it recently and it's a great record,but I'll always have a soft spot for Feel the Fire as that was my intro to the band.

Also, it has Sonic Reducer!!!!!! headbanger
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Good to see Taking Over at top spot. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Overkill Album (First Era)   Greatest Overkill Album (First Era) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next