Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review question...

Go down 
+10
AchrisK
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
scottmitchell74
thejokeriv
Thrasher73
tohostudios
Rex
mc666
ultmetal
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 8:44 am

When it comes to album reviews, do you prefer short reviews that give a quick overview of the album, style, production, etc. or do you prefer lengthy reviews that go into every detail of the album, or break the album down song by song?

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 8:53 am

quick overview. i'm usually just looking for an general opinion of the album.

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 8:58 am

mc666 wrote:

Ditto from me.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 9:00 am

I don't care for super long song by song details usually. I prefer a review that hits on the highlights and bad points of an album myself.

After re-reading your first post, I do like to read about how the production/sound quality of an album is, but I don't care to read ultra specific nit-picky stuff.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 9:08 am

Quick overview with maybe a few song highlights.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 9:10 am

I like for them to be short and sweet.Haha.If the reviewer rambles on,it loses my attention.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 9:22 am

I like detailed
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 9:23 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I like detailed

How detailed? Song by song review? Extremely detailed review of production, lyrics, music, etc.?

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 9:32 am

Detailed but general feel. Not song-by-song for me. As a matter of fact, I like how you do it. I get a good feel for albums based on your reviews and the vast majority of ones I've picked up based on your reviews have been keepers.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 10:15 am

ultmetal wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
I like detailed

How detailed? Song by song review? Extremely detailed review of production, lyrics, music, etc.?

Not a five paragraph essay - I like song by song thoughts (quick thoughts), and impression of overall producation, lyrics, etc. Of ocurse, sometimes a CD is so bad, all you can say is this CD sucks!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 10:24 am

Ideal review IMHO: Start with a quick summary of what you thought, end with a quick summary of what you thought ... and discuss the details of how you arrived to that conclusion in length in the middle. Say who would enjoy the album, who probably wouldn't. Things the album excels at and what they could improve on in the future.

I've written a few reviews on the web and I probably should've gone in more depth or written while the album was playing in the background, to help me put more specifics in.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 11:58 am

spectrefate wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Ditto from me.

Yea, same here.

Although I should also add that I like to know what the band members look like so I can be narrow-minded and superficial. It makes it easier to label people and their music. I don't have time to listen to the music, so if I know that the band members have short hair or wear baggy clothes, I know they must suck harder than my sister on prom night.
Back to top Go down

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I know they must suck harder than my sister on prom night.

Does your sister have a phone number and some missing teeth?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:17 pm

spectrefate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I know they must suck harder than my sister on prom night.

Does your sister have a phone number and some missing teeth?

If you check the local service stations in the tri-state area, you can find her number scrawled somewhere in the bathrooms. She goes by the name "MetalGal69"
Back to top Go down

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
"MetalGal69"

Denise?

Wow, I haven't thought about her in awhile. I had no idea you guys were related! Here's a picture of us last time I was in PA, when I had hair and weighed 100 lbs lighter and looked totally different......

Review question... 1ug
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Yup, that's her. She's blond now, though. Ever since she heard the song "Whole Lotta Rosie", she's taken up the bigger-the-cusion-the-better-the-pushin mentality. She gets allot of repeat business from what I understand, so I guess she's doing something right.
Back to top Go down

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
She gets allot of repeat business from what I understand, so I guess she's doing something right.

I think alot of guys come back because they accidentally left a watch or their car keys in one of her crevices. That may be interpreted as "repeat business".
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:34 pm

You guys are making fun of a BBW? Shame.
Back to top Go down

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:37 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Shut your big beautiful piehole. angry
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

"sigh"...I wish it was a piehole. I may throw in the towel and "Make it so!"
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:44 pm

spectrefate wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

Shut your big beautiful piehole. angry

"...so the other guys says 'If we find my car keys, we can drive out of here'". HI-Yoooooooo!!
Back to top Go down

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:54 pm

Sorry, ult. You can have your thread back. It's just a little soiled.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:56 pm

I like mid-length reviews. If I had to pick between very brief and very long, I would pick the brief. Song-by-song always loses my attention. I prefer facts about general style/genre classification, general description of the music and how the reviewer feels about it. Very general idea of production, or it could be left out if there is nothing noteworthy about it, either good or bad. Definitely want to know if it is bad in some way. Though I know it can be overused, I appreciate some comparisons to other bands. I like some idea of general lyrical content, but this can be very brief. I kinda like how Metal Archives just gives a few one word descriptions of this.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 1:04 pm

I like a medium sized overview. I like a ham sandwich review, not a tri tip review! Or something like that...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 1:54 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Sorry, ult. You can have your thread back. It's just a little soiled.

I wonder how many even remember what this thread was about by this point!!

Review question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review question...   Review question... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review question...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next