Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...

Go down 
+13
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
jstate
rattpoison
ultmetal
Shiney
tohostudios
SAHB Healer
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
XYZ
scottmitchell74
MetalRob331
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:24 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think it's official.There isn't one person on this forum that knows genres. lol!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when describing bands, genres are only minimally useful. I think it's much more helpful to use band comparisons.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:24 pm

tohostudios wrote:
And I completely disagree with the concept of "alternative rock" being born out of punk.

To me that term simply represents a style of music that the mainstream ignores.

What about REM?

Hugely successful 'Mainstream' band, yet one of the leaders of Alternative Rock in the 80's.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:25 pm

Ahhhh, but they didn't start as hugely successful. Their initial releases were totally ignored.

Same with other bands like U2, the Clash and The Alarm.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Add to that list:

Violent Femmes
Simple Minds
Jason and the Scorchers

...all bands that had a modicum of success eventually but were initially ignored by mainstream radio programmers.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:31 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Ahhhh, but they didn't start as hugely successful. Their initial releases were totally ignored.

Same with other bands like U2, the Clash and The Alarm.

True but they can't have gone from Alternative Rock to Mainstream over night because the mainstream moved to them.

They were still the same band.

Alternative Rock is about doing something different and unique to what is the status quo, regardless of success.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:32 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I think it's official.There isn't one person on this forum that knows genres. lol!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when describing bands, genres are only minimally useful. I think it's much more helpful to use band comparisons.
I agree, especially with genres like alt-rock, which, like I said before, is a catch-all genre. Just look at all the bands people have listed in this thread that they say are alt-rock yet sound nothing even remotely like each other.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:41 pm

I don't like doing this but lets see what Wikipedia has to say about this topic. I agree and disagree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 10:13 pm

another band i like is

Gin Blossoms

and imo most of the bands mentioned are Alt Rock. Alt rock to me is bands that arent pure rock that have other influences in there music that gives them a popular vibe.

It seems like we all pretty much are naming bands that sound similar except for a few but you will have that if you name bands from different era's of music
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 11:48 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I love Weezer anyone hear the red album?
Yep - I picked it up when I picked up the new def leppard. Sounds like Weezer. They have a song that mentiones Maiden in a good way.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 9:55 am

rattpoison wrote:
I don't like doing this but lets see what Wikipedia has to say about this topic. I agree and disagree.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock[/quote[/url]]

We've already been down that path in this thread rp. Remember that list from wiki a few pages back? Practically every band mentioned here is on it.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 9:57 am

I'll say Soundgarden, although I do consider them metal somewhat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 10:54 pm

[quote="tohostudios"]
rattpoison wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock[/quote]

We've already been down that path in this thread rp. Remember that list from wiki a few pages back? Practically every band mentioned here is on it.

I'm aware of that list, but this tries to explain what Alternative Rock is and the trends and movements in Alternative Rock over the past 20 odd years rather than that list that was posted of bands in ABC.

Give it a read, you may be enlightened.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 11:42 pm

rattpoison wrote:
It's Wikipedia! Anyone that is enlightened by reading that site might very well find themselves dumber than they were the day before.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
It's Wikipedia! Anyone that is enlightened by reading that site might very well find themselves dumber than they were the day before.

True but it doesn't harm to read another opinion dressed as fact.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 10:38 am

Wikipedia is accurate a lot of the times, and i think that list is pretty accurate. But putting Creed on the Nu-metal list shows you how inaccurate it can be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 2:53 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Wikipedia is accurate a lot of the times, and i think that list is pretty accurate. But putting Creed on the Nu-metal list shows you how inaccurate it can be.
I have put things on Wikipedia that I know for a fact to be true. Then I'll notice at some point in the future, while looking up a discography or whatever, that nearly everything I had added has been changed, and much of it is wrong.

Take the band Roadhouse, for instance. There was nothing about this band outside of something like "Roadhouse was a rock band featuring Def Leppard's Pete Willis." I added a history, a discography, and little factoids and whatnot. A few months later, it was all changed, and most of it was wrong or flat out speculation.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Yes i have seen that before, i would go on there to see the history of a band and then i would go back a few days later and it would either be gone or it was a whole new biography
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Alice Donut
Alice in Chains
Band of Susans
The Batfish Boys
Beat Happening
Big Black
The Church
Cocteau Twins
Concrete Blonde
The Cure
the dB's
Dinosaur Jr.
The Dream Syndicate
Faith No More
The Feelies
Fishbone
The Go-Betweens
The Godfathers
Green River
Guadalcanal Diary
Gun Club
Helmet
Husker Du
Julian Cope
L7
The Lightning Seeds
Live Skull
Los Illegals
Mudhoney
My Bloody Valentine
New Math
Nirvana
The Pixies
Rapeman
Red Kross
R.E.M.
The Replacements
Robyn Hitchcock
Shop Assistants
Smithereens
The Smiths
Sonic Youth
The Sugarcubes
Therapy?
The Wedding Present
XTC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 1:21 pm

That's way more than one. Smile
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:52 pm

decapitate wrote:
Alice Donut
Alice in Chains
Band of Susans
The Batfish Boys
Beat Happening
Big Black
The Church
Cocteau Twins
Concrete Blonde
The Cure
the dB's
Dinosaur Jr.
The Dream Syndicate
Faith No More
The Feelies
Fishbone
The Go-Betweens
The Godfathers
Green River
Guadalcanal Diary
Gun Club
Helmet
Husker Du
Julian Cope
L7
The Lightning Seeds
Live Skull
Los Illegals
Mudhoney
My Bloody Valentine
New Math
Nirvana
The Pixies
Rapeman
Red Kross
R.E.M.
The Replacements
Robyn Hitchcock
Shop Assistants
Smithereens
The Smiths
Sonic Youth
The Sugarcubes
Therapy?
The Wedding Present
XTC

Looks like my record collection.

The Batfish Boys? Thought i was the only one who knew them.

And the godly Go-Betweens, wow.

Not to mention the Godfathers as well, what a great band.

Heard of the Triffids?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 3:47 am

This genre business is starting to grate on my nerves, it's just too damn confusing for me. I will go ahead and sit this one out.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:32 am

ultmetal wrote:
Not sure what Alt/Rock is...

King's X, Galactic Cowboys, Atomic Opera count?

I agree with ult but i think GC is considered alt/metal though.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:34 am

Alice in Chains
Helmet
Soundgarden
King's X
Nirvana (bleach record only)
STP
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 2:18 pm

Since there is a dispute involving whether "Grunge" is considered part of the equation, I will do my best to leave those bands out.

Some of my favs would be:

1. The Replacements/Paul Westerberg stuff
2. The Refreshments
3. Feeder
4. Black Lab
5. Sloan
6. The Counting Crows
7. Rusted Root
8. The Gin Blossoms
9. Radiohead (The Bends/O.K Computer)
10. Better Than Ezra

Solo Artist

1. Elliott Smith (Depressingly good)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Rusted Root! Hells yeah!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next