Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...

Go down 
+13
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
jstate
rattpoison
ultmetal
Shiney
tohostudios
SAHB Healer
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
XYZ
scottmitchell74
MetalRob331
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Quote :
All those bands are Alt/Rock just because they're mainstream has no affect on the music they play. BB borders metal.

In that case, they're STILL not Alt Rock...they're Melodic Hard Rock/Metal...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 2:09 pm

Wow. Reading over most of these lists, the only thing I got that comes close is STP and a Soundgarden disc or 2. And to whomever listed Social Distortion can't be serious. Social D alt/rock? Punk or rockabilly, yes, but alternative? Not in my little close-minded world.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 2:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Wow. Reading over most of these lists, the only thing I got that comes close is STP and a Soundgarden disc or 2. And to whomever listed Social Distortion can't be serious. Social D alt/rock? Punk or rockabilly, yes, but alternative? Not in my little close-minded world.

Depends on which album you listen to. Recent stuff like Sex, Love and Rock n Roll is much less "countrified" IMO.

Also depends on your definition of "alt rock". To me, that term is so generic that it encompasses anything that's rock and alternative. In other words, I discount industrial, punk, goth etc bands but something like Social D doesn't fit neatly into any one category in my book so I lump 'em in with "alt rock".

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 3:44 pm

tohostudios wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Depends on which album you listen to. Recent stuff like Sex, Love and Rock n Roll is much less "countrified" IMO.

Also depends on your definition of "alt rock". To me, that term is so generic that it encompasses anything that's rock and alternative. In other words, I discount industrial, punk, goth etc bands but something like Social D doesn't fit neatly into any one category in my book so I lump 'em in with "alt rock".

Ahhh, I see. By your definition, I can see your point. I don't see it that way, but hey, you know what they say about opinions...Every one is wrong but mine.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:04 pm

Others i forgot to mention and totally forgot about are

Candlebox and Silverchair

For A LIST OF aLt/rock artists click on the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_rock_artists
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:06 pm

Wow, I find a lot of debatable ones in that list.

Not the list of which is including a lot of punk and power/punk and synthpop bands.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:10 pm

LOL! I just noticed Social D is in that list!

I take it back; that list rules!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:34 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Not the list of which is including a lot of punk and power/punk and synthpop bands.

Same here. Going from that list, there are still only a handful I bands that I own something by. If I had to pick a fovorite of those listed, I'd go with Alice in Chains, although, by my definition, they're grunge, not alt/rock. But hey, whatever.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:37 pm

That list even includes Sisters Of Mercy for cryin' out loud. AND Stabbing Westward.

I do have a ton of stuff off that list though.

And I agree with classifying AIC as grunge.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Well alt/rock bands in the 90's are a lot different then the ones that you have around nowadays. A lot of the Alt/rock bands out there now are the majority of what you hear on the radio. IMO alt/rock is a genre that was placed on bands that werent quite just your hard rock band say like The Black Crowes and Pearl Jam but bands that are too hard to be labeled just alternative and are too soft to be labeled metal they are in between. So i call it more Alt/Metal then rock nowadays...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:46 pm

AIC, Silverchair, Nirvana, and Soundgarden all can be labeled grunge i guess, and thats what i would label it, but they very well could also be Alt/rock bands as well based on a lot of there songs..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:47 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Some of you turds like Therapy?? 🤘

Boy, that sentence looks odd. Laughing
Yuh. I loved Nurse. Saw them tour that with Kings X.
Wow! Pretty cool show to see.

And if you've not heard anything since Nurse, I suggest you do. Every album is a bit different, but also still great. Love this band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 4:49 pm

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 6:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Same here. Going from that list, there are still only a handful I bands that I own something by. If I had to pick a fovorite of those listed, I'd go with Alice in Chains, although, by my definition, they're grunge, not alt/rock. But hey, whatever.

AiC did get the grunge lable when grunge took off, but Soundgarden and AiC were conisder metal when they first came out - both bands had no problem with being called grunge because it sold more albums in the early 90's.

I should add Weezer to this fav alt/rock bands list!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 7:15 pm

I love Weezer anyone hear the red album?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 7:16 pm

Grampa's historical revisionism. Since the term "Alternative" was coined in the late 80's; "Alternative" has become mainstream and Metal has become, uh, alternative.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 1:30 am

I see Alternative Rock as something that started after punk (but not post-punk) around the early 80's. It encompasses college rock, indie, grunge, britpop and so forth right up till today.

Of course those 4 labels are simplistic and there are alot of bands in and around those.

Toho i don't know how you could say Sisters Of Mercy are not Alternative Rock but the Georgia Satellites are. Puzzles me for sure.

Also i don't consider bands that are derivative of the Grunge scene alternative rock. Bands like Silverchair, Bush, Stone Temple Pilots and right through to Creed, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down are not Alternative Rock. Their modern hard rock bands taking a direct tunnel visioned influence from Seattle, theres nothing alternative about them.

"Loud Rock" anyone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 2:24 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
I love Weezer anyone hear the red album?
Chris Crocker is in their new video; thus they deserve to be shot repeatedly.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 8:09 am

Quote :
Toho i don't know how you could say Sisters Of Mercy are not Alternative Rock but the Georgia Satellites are. Puzzles me for sure.

Sisters are goth rock; Satellites aren't.

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 8:30 am

Alice In Chains is Metal.

Georgia Satellites is Southern Rock.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 8:32 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Alice In Chains is Metal.

Georgia Satellites is Southern Rock.

Satellites are sort of Southern Rock. They sound a lot different than Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws or Lynyrd Skynyrd to my ears though.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 pm

The "Goth" tag is a pretty redundant term, stupid even. Sisters Of Mercy were definately an Alternative Rock band in the 80's, along with Bauhaus, Flesh For Lulu, The Cure etc.

If you were to use the tag "Goth" on these bands then they would fall under the banner of Alternative Rock, just like other terms i dislike such as Grunge, College, Indie, Britpop, Paisley Underground (Worst umbrella term ever) etc all fall under that banner.

Georgia Satellites are completely removed from Alternative Rock, Alternative Rock i see is something born out of punk/post-punk that was bit different to what came before it. The closest the Georgia Satellites got to punk was a like of the Ramones but they really played straight down the line no nonesense traditional roots rock n' roll in the vein of Chuck Berry, Little Feat, Faces etc with no surprises or alternative twists.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:18 pm

We all have our own definitions of genres.

Mine are just right. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:20 pm

I think it's official.There isn't one person on this forum that knows genres. lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:22 pm

And I completely disagree with the concept of "alternative rock" being born out of punk.

To me that term simply represents a style of music that the mainstream ignores.

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...   Your Favorite Alt/Rock band... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite Alt/Rock band...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next