Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.

Go down 
+8
XYZ
DeathCult
EvyMetal
Shiney
Tall Tyrion
tohostudios
Troublezone
scottmitchell74
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Even befoe that...the whole tentacled face look of the demonoids in that movie...in the museum...he sewers the subway tunnels...very CTHULU-esque....

Which is not a bad thing....

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 7:51 pm

I agree, and the previews I've seen of the new one conjure more such Lovecraftian feelings.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 6:41 pm

I got about a 1/2 dozen Lumley books from the library...and they seem to be a part of a series. Where do I start?
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 8:48 pm

If it's the NECROSCOPE series....I'd start with that one..but it's a rather tedious series in my opinion...

he did a few other series I never followed...

But his one off novels and short story collections I dig the best..

It's almost all big nod to Lovecraft...so I'm sure you'll dig it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 9:26 pm

The Necroscope series is great, even if he did milk it too long. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 1:08 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
The Necroscope series is great, even if he did milk it too long. Cool

I was only able to stick with the first 3 books and then ZZZZZZZZZZZ....
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 1:29 am

Been reading some of his works lately. Very compelling, but I could do without his bigotry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:08 am

XYZ wrote:
Been reading some of his works lately. Very compelling, but I could do without his bigotry.

Well, I chalk it up to the era, not that uncommon. He was a weird cat, but what a great writer when he was firing on all cylinders!

I just re-read some Lovecraft recently, some of my favorites include: At The Mountains Of Madness, The Dunwich Horror, The Colour Out Of Space, The Outsider, The Cats Of Ulthar, The Shadow Out Of Time, In The Vault, The Rats In The Walls, etc.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:33 am

WOW!!! I didn't know that this thread exsted until now! Cool!!! I'm doing to have to read his stuff that I have again.

Maybe I'll start A Clark Ashton Smith Appreciation Thread.... Maybe
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 8:34 pm

The Nameless City.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 7:39 am

I was just thinking the other day that it's time for me to cycle back around to some H.P. Lovecraft. I have a collectible NYPD firetruck and I was dusting the other day and I saw that it said Red Hook on the side. First thought was..."coolm Lovecraft."
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 10:42 pm

Time to resurrect my H.P. Lovecraft thread. I've been letting him lie fallow for at least 3 years now, but I've been itching to get back to him. I've got a few books to get through first, but after that it's time for eldritch, unnameable horrors.

With some new blood around maybe this will spark more conversation...and I'm very interested in suggestions of Lovecraftian books/authors that I haven't read yet.
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 12:26 am

I should fit in just fine.

My Dad introduced me to Lovecraft, gave me the collection "The Doom That Came To Sarnath and Other Tales" for my 9th birthday.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 9:37 am

Nice! I can see by your handle and avatar that you're deep into the realm.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 10:14 am

I do enjoy Lovecraft tales very much ... some of my favorites would be The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Dunwich Horror and At the Mountains of Madness (but what's been bothering me about this one is that the main character is able to understand all those facts of race's history just by observing the writings on the wall while he's running through ... - I'm I the only one here?).

Also, I tend to like him more and more after multiple readings, I wasn't that impressed at first read to tell the truth.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 10:52 am

sovdat - That always struck me as well. That guy is an awesome archaeologist/linguist to be able to interpret the bas-reliefs on the fly like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3