Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+7
akeldama
kmorg
Neuropete
tohostudios
manny
Schbopo
Mglaffas81
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Let's all pay respect to Jim Steinman - In my opinion, THE greatest songwriter in Rock music....

The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread JimSecondNight
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 2:13 pm

I only know him from the first Meat Loaf record. But it's a good album, so I guess Jim's fine with me.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 3:21 pm

I won't go as far as the greatest songwriter in rock music, but I do think he is among the most unique and I wish he was more prolific and write more albums for Meat Loaf the both of them together are brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 4:36 pm

manny wrote:
I won't go as far as the greatest songwriter in rock music, but I do think he is among the most unique and I wish he was more prolific and write more albums for Meat Loaf the both of them together are brilliant.

I agree - All right, "THE GREATEST" may be a bit much, but certainly UNIQUE - that was the instant attraction for me....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Yeah, I like his compositions. Outside of Meat Loaf his music has been performed by artists as diverse as Air Supply, Sisters Of Mercy and Bonnie Tyler.

I'd just once like to see the guy write a song that clocks in under 5 minutes though. I just don't think he can.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Let's all pay respect to Jim Steinman - In my opinion, THE greatest songwriter in Rock music....

...certainly one of the snappiest dressers!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 pm

I think this is the first time I've seen a picture of him.

I remember listening to one of Celine Dion's albums years ago, and the opening track sounde so familiar. I told my wife that this has to be a Steinman composition, and I was right. So he has a unique style, that is very recognizable.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 2:50 pm

I think he is a great songwriter and yes like kmorg says his style is unique and immediately recognizable. I like his work on the movie Streets Of Fire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 4:55 pm

His style is unique and totally identifiable...but personally, I can't stand it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 4:59 pm

Quote :
Let's all pay respect to Jim Steinman

Why? Did he die? The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_scratch

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Let's all pay respect to Jim Steinman

Why? Did he die? The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_scratch

No, I just think he is a bit forgotten and overshadowed by the artists who perform/sing his stuff.....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:24 pm

You definitely know a Steinman song when you hear it; always "epic-sounding".

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Outside of his work outside on Bat Out Of Hell, I don't really know the man. But I'll raise a pint in his honor. Why not. Guy's got talent. He's like a more rocking version of Bernie Taupin. Cheers, Jim.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:52 pm

His song "More" is one of my favorite Sisters Of Mercy songs.

Who knew Steinman could write goth tunes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuW3NvjqJY

Even though it's goth, you can still hear the Steinman songwriting.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 8:54 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Who knew Steinman could write goth tunes?

Bat Out Of Hell was quite "Gothic" in all it's pomp!

Steinman produced two songs on Floodland, of course they were also the two longest and most epic sounding songs on the album........"Dominion/Mother Russia" and "This Corrosion".
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 pm

The first time I heard 'This Corrosion' I did not know Jim Steinman wrote that song and remember thinking that sounds like it could be a Meat Loaf track, but I just dismissed the thought. I thought that Sisters of Mercy would be too cool to ever cover a Steinman tune, I had no idea he worked them as a producer til years after I heard the song.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Steinman didn't write the song, he gave it his epic producers touch namely the addition of an orchestra. Eldritch wrote it about Wayne Hussey (The Mission), more bitter aftermath of their messy split and legal band name wranglings!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 6:47 am

rattpoison wrote:
Steinman didn't write the song, he gave it his epic producers touch namely the addition of an orchestra. Eldritch wrote it about Wayne Hussey (The Mission), more bitter aftermath of their messy split and legal band name wranglings!

Thanks for clearing that out, I thought he also wrote the song. Great song anyway and is over the top production style fit the song perfectly.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 8:54 am

But he did co-write "More".

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 9:06 am

tohostudios wrote:

Another great track and one of my favorite Sisters of Mercy tracks.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 9:08 am

manny wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Another great track and one of my favorite Sisters of Mercy tracks.

Same here.

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 am

Jim Steinman almost produced Hysteria by DEF LEPPARD...wonder how that would have sounded...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 10:50 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Jim Steinman almost produced Hysteria by DEF LEPPARD...wonder how that would have sounded...

Terrible. He would have taken a great up-and-coming NWOBHM band and stripped them of their jacobs and put out a slick, radio-friendly pop album. Luckily, they got Mutt Lange, who took a great up-and-coming NWOBHM band and...uh, well, nevermind.

The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_razz

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 10:56 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Terrible. He would have taken a great up-and-coming NWOBHM band and stripped them of their jacobs and put out a slick, radio-friendly pop album. Luckily, they got Mutt Lange, who took a great up-and-coming NWOBHM band and...uh, well, nevermind.

The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_razz

The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Lol

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 11:08 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:

One of my all-time favorite songwriters! He's written monster hits for the likes of Meatloaf and Celine Dion! 10/10 The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread 877540
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread   The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Jim Steinman Appreciation Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next