Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.

Go down 
+8
XYZ
DeathCult
EvyMetal
Shiney
Tall Tyrion
tohostudios
Troublezone
scottmitchell74
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Quote :
I love LOVECRAFT and while the above statement is intriniscally true, you must remember to view the time frame in which he lived and wrote and the common thoughts and views of that period...Not an excuse but just something one needs to do....

As I continue on my recent HPL binge, I've really noticed (perhaps taken note) of his thoughts on race, culture, status, etc...I've actually come to believe that TONS of his writing stems from hatred/disgust and also a massive insecurity complex. Nearly all of his stories revolve around or have some mention of class, caste, race, inbreeding, mixed-breeding (for lack of a better descriptor) or such idea.

He also seems to hate NYC massively. He has nothing good to say about it.

That's all! Just some observations. It's a shame, really, because his writing otherwise is simply outstanding, even when he's using an overflow of way-out-there words.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 4:56 pm

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Horrors%20Beyond%20-%20lg

H.P. was a very insecure man...I used to have a bio on him...he suffered from lots of ailments in that arena...paranoia and the like...He was quite reclusive and alot of that comes through in his work...And while I don't stand behind the hate and thoughts either...still a brilliant fantasist...the depth with which he thought out the entire mythos for backstory in his work is fantastic....

I recently bought this book and rec it to you Scott, as it's newer short sorys with a Lovecraftian flair...very good (imo)

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 12:33 pm

I will look into that, Shiney. Thanks.

Another irritation I have with HPL is how many of his characters (who are 99% dudes) end up screaming, shrieking, fainting, quailing, etc....Where are the manly- men???
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 2:32 am

He was in love with the 1800's and earlier, old English times. There were no manly men.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 7:20 am

True. He loved the wealthy, book-worm, gentrified, aristocrat man who never has to lift a finger for himself.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 10:57 am

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Rightmer-spawn
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 2:03 pm

Wow! Is that a mole-rat? It's beautifully hideous!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Yes, a Naked Mole Rat. Twisted Evil

Also, the offspring of Shub-Niggurath. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 3:21 pm

Ia! Ia!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:16 pm

If my penis had legs....and buck teeth.....

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Speaking of Lovecraft, that avatar there Shiney is making me think of Wilbur Whateley somewhat.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks....it's not...but good thinking anyway.

It's from a series of surrealist art films by a dude named MATTHEW BARNEY....very unique and bizarre stuff..along the lines of JODOROWSKY...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:41 pm

Jodorowsky.

That's the guy who did the armless mother and her Oedipus complex son movie, right?

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:51 pm

SANTA SANGRE...one of Shiney's top 10 coolest movies evuh!!!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 9:02 pm

Really strange flick that I have on VHS. I need to check into getting it on DVD.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Alas it was nevr released...officially.

There was a great box set of earlier JODOROWSKY films came out last year...it included EL TOPO, FANDO Y LIS, HOLY MOUNTAIN and a documnetary thing...but sadly SANTA SANGRE was not included...

I so wish JODOROWSKY and HR GIGER could have gotten their late 70's film version of DUNE off the ground....

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 9:13 pm

Shiney wrote:
Alas it was nevr released...officially.

There was a great box set of earlier JODOROWSKY films came out last year...it included EL TOPO, FANDO Y LIS, HOLY MOUNTAIN and a documnetary thing...but sadly SANTA SANGRE was not included...

I so wish JODOROWSKY and HR GIGER could have gotten their late 70's film version of DUNE off the ground....

Wow! A Jodorowsky/Giger collaboration on Dune would have been great!!Q

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 11:32 pm

Shiney wrote:
If my penis had legs....and buck teeth.....

Thatd be a very bizzare movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 4:25 pm

you know you'd watch it, ya bastid!!

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 12:08 am

I haven't read much Lovecraft so I could be way off base here but did the gods or whatever they were from the first Hellboy seem Lovecraftian to anyone else?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 2:15 am

What does the HP stand for?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 6:41 am

Horny Penis
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 7:15 am

Howard Phillips (although he went by Horny Penis in his decadent college-age years.)
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 5:27 pm

There was a severe LOVECRAFTIAN influence that permeated the HELLBOY film

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 7:31 pm

Very true!! That's what I thought at the end with the tentacled things coming from the sky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.   H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next