Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warrant is king.

Go down 
+12
iamrockerfun
DallasBlack
zombiewalkin
Required Fields
Muloc7253
DeathCult
rattpoison
the sentinel
Thrasher73
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Warrant is king. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 9:29 am

Jani Lane is an underrated vocalist & writer. Very talented in both arenas.

Their album Dog Eat Dog was one of the BEST Melodic Hard Rock albums of the 90s...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 9:30 am

Quote :
Heck I cant lie, I have Cherry Pie on cd. The version with "Ode To Tipper Gore" on it. I do like that album and the first one wasnt that bad. I havent heard anything from their other albums.

You really need to get Dog Eat Dog.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 10:48 am

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
Quote :
Heck I cant lie, I have Cherry Pie on cd. The version with "Ode To Tipper Gore" on it. I do like that album and the first one wasnt that bad. I havent heard anything from their other albums.

I'll second (or is it third) that.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 10:50 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Quote :

I'll third (or is it fourth?) that. Great album.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 10:57 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Quote :

I'll third (or is it fourth?) that. Great album.

Really? I had it on cassette back when it was a new release and thought it was terrible. From what I remember, it was an attempt to be taken seriously and didn't have any of the fun of their 1st 2 releases. Maybe I should give this one another shot? I see it in the used bins all of the time (which instantly tells me I'm not the only one that thought it was poop) and my tastes in music have certainly matured over the years, even if I haven't.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 11:01 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Really? I had it on cassette back when it was a new release and thought it was terrible. From what I remember, it was an attempt to be taken seriously and didn't have any of the fun of their 1st 2 releases. Maybe I should give this one another shot? I see it in the used bins all of the time (which instantly tells me I'm not the only one that thought it was poop) and my tastes in music have certainly matured over the years, even if I haven't.

Well, yea, it's a bit darker/heavier than "Cherry Pie" for sure, I guess they saw the writing on the wall that the hair trend was over and that they should try to be a bit more "metal" but came to that realization a little late.

My fave tracks on it are "April 2031," "Hole In My Wall," and "Inside Out," which is almost ike Warrant attemtping thrash. Sounds bizarre but it's a damn good song.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 12:12 pm

If you look at what Jani Lane has written since Cherry Pie I think he wanted to be more then that early pop metal writing about eyecandy only kind of rocker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 12:45 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
If you look at what Jani Lane has written since Cherry Pie I think he wanted to be more then that early pop metal writing about eyecandy only kind of rocker.

Absolutely. The song "Cherry Pie" was an afterthought, written AFTER the album was finished. The original album title was Uncle Tom's Cabin. The label wanted a song like "Cherry Pie" (something fun/sexy/like "Pour Some Sugar...") written, and Jani wrote it (being a smart ass) as a joke. He turned it in, and the next thing he knows the LABEL changed the album title and the artwork & told WARRANT that their album was now called Cherry Pie.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 12:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Absolutely. The song "Cherry Pie" was an afterthought, written AFTER the album was finished. The original album title was Uncle Tom's Cabin. The label wanted a song like "Cherry Pie" (something fun/sexy/like "Pour Some Sugar...") written, and Jani wrote it (being a smart ass) as a joke. He turned it in, and the next thing he knows the LABEL changed the album title and the artwork & told WARRANT that their album was now called Cherry Pie.

Yep, and if you have ever seen the VH1 documentary "Heavy: The Story Of Metal," Jani Lane sez that every time he hears "Cherry Pie" now he wants to shoot himself in the head.

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon May 05, 2008 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I know this is the story that's told, however I believe it all except that Jani Lane just threw the song together as a joke. I really think at least he if not the entire band stood behind that song for a long time.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 1:24 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I know this is the story that's told, however I believe it all except that Jani Lane just threw the song together as a joke. I really think at least he if not the entire band stood behind that song for a long time.

I think he's even gone back on saying how much he hated it on the VH1 doc. He claims that he was hungover and in a pissy mood when they interviewd him. When they asked about Cherry Pie, he just went off on a tangent and of course, that's the part that gets used in the film.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 2:08 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I think he's even gone back on saying how much he hated it on the VH1 doc. He claims that he was hungover and in a pissy mood when they interviewd him. When they asked about Cherry Pie, he just went off on a tangent and of course, that's the part that gets used in the film.

I'm sure he was hung over. His sobriety is one of the things that has helped him come to terms with his fame for this song. The band appeared "behind it" when it was new because they had the major label PR machine "behind" them and I would bet money they were told what to say and what not to...plus enjoying the money in the moment is always nice.

I 100% believe he wrote it as a joke. I also 100% believe that the label flipped the record from being called Uncle Tom's Cabin to being called Cherry Pie. The label obviously knew what they were doing cuz the album/song was huge...but it doesn't mean that it was what Jani (the principle songwriter in the band) wanted.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The band appeared "behind it" when it was new because they had the major label PR machine "behind" them and I would bet money they were told what to say and what not to...plus enjoying the money in the moment is always nice.

I say that if you sell out, which this is such an instance, then you don't get an opportunity to complain about it later. You either get to count your proceeds from a goofy song or have artistic integrity. Better to stand up for yourself at the moment then to whine 15 years later that a gag song ruined your life.
I don't know what I would have done if I were in their shoes, but you make the bed you lie in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 2:21 pm

True. They were "owned" by their label, in every sense of the word. I doubt standing up would have changed the label's mind. But I agree, suck it up and be glad someone liked something you did, even if you didn't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 8:51 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

You beat me to it. He wrote it, and he was happy when he and Bobbi Brown were rolling around in the video together. Then one day he must've woken up and realized what he had done. It was one of the worst hair metal songs of all time, imo.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 3:05 pm

i doscover Warrant maybe 4 yrs ago but today is the day i start to listening them in albums, live shows, dvds, bootlegs ...
man

WARRANT RULEZZ !

i saw Jani Lane so many times on Vh1 but never really get into Warrant till today.
damn ! they are/were good band. perfect albums. pitty that thay dot only 2 yrs. they should be more famous that they are now.

didn't know that Jani Lane have solo album in 2002.

now i'm listening
Warrant is king. - Page 3 C76687oy1xy
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 3:32 am

🤘 I wanna go where the down boys go 🤘
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:59 am

YngwieDokkenfan wrote:
🤘 I wanna go where the down boys go 🤘

yea baby ! listening to music
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 8:09 am

I am surprised how many Warrant fans are on this board, I have always hated Warrant. Never liked their songs, always thought Jani Lane was a terrible singer. IMO one of the worst bands of hair metal scene.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 8:17 am

manny wrote:
I am surprised how many Warrant fans are on this board, I have always hated Warrant. Never liked their songs, always thought Jani Lane was a terrible singer. IMO one of the worst bands of hair metal scene.

humble
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 2:55 pm

manny wrote:

you got to be kidding me :kickbutt:
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 pm

iamrockerfun wrote:
manny wrote:

you got to be kidding me :kickbutt:

You are right I am kidding I meant to say the worst band that came out of the hair metal scene.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 am

disagree pirat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 am

I'll always have a soft spot for Warrant. Enjoyed the heck out of their first few cd's and saw 'em live a few times. Good times. I can think of many worse bands of that era.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 4:48 pm

They had very vulgar flyers EVERYWHERE.... taped to street light poles and stapled to telephone poles. Always lots of chicks at the clubs and they were the last hurrah of the scene.

I always joked that Jani was the best musician in the band
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warrant is king.   Warrant is king. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warrant is king.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next