Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin

Go down 
+20
Orion Crystal Ice
jstate
Eyesore
ultmetal
DallasBlack
the sentinel
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
Am I Evil?
rattpoison
James B.
tohostudios
mc666
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Shiney
Troublezone
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Empty
PostSubject: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 3:17 am

I'm not a big Warrant fan at all but this song is cool. The video plays like a mini movie about a backwoods murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te1iSbyaR9I&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 11:16 am

I like WARRANT, unapologetically. I think Jani Lane is a great songwriter...he has his share (and a big one at that) of problems...but as is evidenced by a listen to wither the SAINTS OF THE UNDERGROUND album or his solo disc, you see who wrote the material.

"Uncle Tom's cabin" is a great story song and awesome live.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 11:48 am

I like select songs from their first two albums. Big Talk from the first album is cool too...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 11:54 am

Another thing about the song Uncle Tom's... a lot of people actually think it's about a book regarding the infamous black slave. It was a trick for publicity.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 12:59 pm

Great song.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Great song.

Yeah, it's not what someone would expect from a pop metal band. The lyrics tell a story and they beefed up their guitar sound heavier too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 2:36 pm

My fave Warrant track. It actually got me into the band. I hated what little I heard off their first release, but when "Uncle Tom's Cabin" started getting major MTV play I remember thinking "Damn, that's actually a pretty good song." Years later I finally bit the bullet and bought a used copy of CHERRY PIE. There's some good stuff on there. The DOG EAT DOG and ULTRAPHOBIC albums aren't bad either.

Speaking of Warrant, I read on Blabbermouth earlier this week that Jani Lane got arrested for D.W.I. in Los Angeles ... that dude's a train wreck.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 2:57 pm

I saw him a few weeks ago at M3 festival, and he was on it. Great performance. He is a good showman...and he current bands is ferocious!!!

Sad that he has these off stage problems, as he is a talented fellow...

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Shiney wrote:
I saw him a few weeks ago at M3 festival, and he was on it. Great performance. He is a good showman...and he current bands is ferocious!!!

Sad that he has these off stage problems, as he is a talented fellow...

Is that the place where he said "i am warrant"?
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 3:46 pm

I don't recall him saying that...Howveer It's essentially true.

I saw him with WARRANT last summer and solo the other week...and both were great...so what's that say?

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 6:13 pm

i prefer the Cherry Pie video.
Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin La6fb118ad8cec0dd127aa8

yummy

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 6:16 pm

Whenever i see your avatar i think doro is the one speaking. She wants cherry pie. Razz
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 6:39 pm

The solos are cool too.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 7:08 pm

My favorite Warrant song as well.

Whenever someone says Warrant is just a "typical hair metal band", I challenge them to listen to "Uncle Tom's Cabin".

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 8:00 pm

I got burnt out on Warrant way before they got signed. Guess having to "pay to play" on the night they headlined and the folks I sold tickets to got turned away cause the club was already packed had something to do with it ? They never paid nothing to the promoters and the other bands footed the bill.
Yes, I believe Janey Lane can write a great tune. It just brings up lame memories of bands that already have the pull to fill a club to the brim and the promoters still make the other bands pay in advance for a certain amount of tickets to play and then not have the tickets those bands sold honored at the venue.
I am still angry after all these years angry

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 10:43 pm

James B. wrote:
I got burnt out on Warrant way before they got signed. Guess having to "pay to play" on the night they headlined and the folks I sold tickets to got turned away cause the club was already packed had something to do with it ? They never paid nothing to the promoters and the other bands footed the bill.
Yes, I believe Janey Lane can write a great tune. It just brings up lame memories of bands that already have the pull to fill a club to the brim and the promoters still make the other bands pay in advance for a certain amount of tickets to play and then not have the tickets those bands sold honored at the venue.
I am still angry after all these years angry

James you should listen to Motorcycle Boy's pay to play rant "I Hate The Sunset Strip" .........

http://www.myspace.com/francoismotorcycleboy
Back to top Go down
Am I Evil?
Metal student
Metal student
Am I Evil?

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 11:23 pm

makes me think of a rapist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 11:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
...I challenge them to listen to "Uncle Tom's Cabin".

It's definitely a challenge to listen to Warrant.

lol!

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 12:45 am

Best Warrant song!!!! I saw an interview with Jani Lane was saying he wishes that he was known for Uncle Tom's Cabin instead of Cherry Pie and that he is sick of having to play it and wishes he never wrote it. Of course, that was probably until he started counting his royalities!!!!!

BTW - Cherry Pie is a blatant rip off of pour some sugar on me.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 4:23 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Best Warrant song!!!! I saw an interview with Jani Lane was saying he wishes that he was known for Uncle Tom's Cabin instead of Cherry Pie and that he is sick of having to play it and wishes he never wrote it. Of course, that was probably until he started counting his royalities!!!!!

Monty from the Galactic Cowboys said he met Jani and the subject came up about that song and Jani shrugged and said "at least it bought me a house."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 7:10 pm

I've always said if you get rid of a couple radio hits Warrant was better then a lot of hair bands and this song proves it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 7:25 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

I don't really like the song "Cherry Pie" but while I hear some similarities to "Sugar", I don't think it's a blatant ripoff.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Great Song for sure.I always liked Warrant.Even from the very start.Down Boys was a cool song.

You take an album like Dog Eat Dog.and that shows they werent just another hair band.Its a very mature album with lots of good songs.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 9:19 pm

Quote :

If memory serves, Jani sez in his infamous "I hate Cherry Pie" interview in VH1's "Heavy: The Story of Metal" that the record label told him flat out to write a single in the vein of "Pour Some Sugar..." or "Love in an Elevator" and "Cherry Pie" was the result.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 11:04 pm

detuned wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
...I challenge them to listen to "Uncle Tom's Cabin".

It's definitely a challenge to listen to Warrant.

lol!

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin   Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next