Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Iron Maiden Progressive?

Go down 
+19
kmorg
TheGooch
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
Smindas
Muloc7253
sovdat
mc666
DallasBlack
rattpoison
shamgar75
White_Mage
XYZ
the sentinel
exact33
Thrasher73
ThrashedOutCobra33
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Empty
PostSubject: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 9:32 pm

On a boxing forum I post at, a bunch of idiots love to act like music experts. You know, Quiet Riot weren't influential, Guns N Roses is the greatest band ever, Dimebag sucks, etc...

Well, now they're saying that Maiden is a progressive metal band. Their justification:

1. Long songs.
2. Time changes.
3. Going from heavy parts to melodic.
4. Progressive lyrics (whatever that means).

I find those reasons to be laughable. So, is Iron Maiden progressive? I say absolutley not. They may have some progressive-leaning tunes, but I see them as a straight up heavy metal band.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Idiots like this keep me laughing for weeks - I bet none of them are over 15, and they shop at Hot Topic regularly.

- Check out some of the "Dave Mustaine vs. Kirk Hammet", "Dimebag vs. Mustaine" debates at YouTube - That had me rolling for weeks!!

Stuff like "Scru u, u f*cking idiot, Dimebag is tha man, n u kno it, u looser" ..just the funniest drivle ever
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 9:51 pm

I'd say that Maiden have become more progressive over the years (especially on the albums since Dickinson re-joined the band) but they're still not what I would consider a full-on "progressive metal" band.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 pm

hell no
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:07 pm

I've always considered them more classic metal.Some of the tunes could lean toward progressive but all in all I'd say straight up metal.
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:08 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
I've always considered them more classic metal.Some of the tunes could lean toward progressive but all in all I'd say straight up metal.

i agree with you
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:26 pm

ThrashedOutCobra33 wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

i agree with you

Thank you kind sir Smile
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:27 pm

You are so dearly welcome lol!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:36 pm

I would say sometimes they lean prog but they are no prog metal band. To me they are classic heavy metal. Long songs dont make one progressive and maidens arrangements are not even close to being in the prog camp.

Alex

the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:40 pm

They have changed and progressed over the years, but thay are certainly not a progressive metal band.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:41 pm

Those people make me laugh. No, Iron Maiden is not a progessive metal band.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Lots of bands have prog elements Maiden is one of them but take a listen to Killers or Piece of Mind it don't sound like prog-metal to me

Oh and what does song length have to do with being progressive
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:52 pm

If you compare Priest and Maiden, Maiden looks progressive, but if you compare Maiden and say Dream Theater, you see Maiden are def. not prog metal.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:56 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Idiots like this keep me laughing for weeks - I bet none of them are over 15, and they shop at Hot Topic regularly.

- Check out some of the "Dave Mustaine vs. Kirk Hammet", "Dimebag vs. Mustaine" debates at YouTube - That had me rolling for weeks!!

Stuff like "Scru u, u f*cking idiot, Dimebag is tha man, n u kno it, u looser" ..just the funniest drivle ever

ha those youtube punks make me laugh for some reason the best insult they can ever come up with is "ur gay" or "u want a dudes dick" they don't seem to understand the phrase "To Each His Own"

Thankfully Youtube introduced the "Spam" button so when ever I see one of those arguments I just mark as spam
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 11:01 pm

thrasher73 wrote:

I totally agree. Well put.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 11:37 pm

I consider A Matter of Life and Death to be prog. Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time are prog-leaning. Other than that, perhaps the odd tune is prog. But, for the most part Maiden is, as Eyesore said, straight-up metal.

One thing to note: even those albums that might be considered prog are still heavier and more direct than bands like Dream Theater. I'd say those albums are a blend of prog and traditional.

Either way, Maiden rules!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 2:13 am

I remember reading an old interview with Steve Harris and he said that he thought Iron Maiden were a "dark/heavy progressive rock band" more so than a heavy metal band.

Take from that what you will!

No doubt Iron Maiden has a huge leaning towards all things Jethro Tulled and Spooky Toothed!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 3:08 am

They are more progressive these days but definatly not prog. Maiden is Maiden and thats all that needs to be said 🤘 .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 3:21 am

spectrefate wrote:
If you compare Priest and Maiden, Maiden looks progressive, but if you compare Maiden and say Dream Theater, you see Maiden are def. not prog metal.
you basically summed up my thoughts.

sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 3:48 am

Hallowed be thy name, hallowed be thy name, hallowed be thy nameeeeeee
caught somewhere in time, caught somewhere in time, caught somewhere int timeeeeeeeee
seventh son of a seventh son, seventh son of a seventh son, seventh son of a seventh soooon

That much about Iron Maiden being progressive - nice chorueses indeed.

Can Dream Theater be a progressive band just because they're technical? What kind of "progress" did they establish? Did they move the music forward like Atheist or Cynic did for example? Don't think so.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:41 am

They're very much influenced by prog ala Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, Rush (by Dickinson's own admission) but an actual progressive band they are not. Admitting so also admits that regular heavy metal is very simple, basic, straight forward 3:50-average music. Maiden's song lengths, time changes, heavy/melodic changes and "progressive" lyrics (i.e. not the usual beer & pentagrams stuff) is just the same as Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath...heck, even Slayer...are they progressive?

Infact, those four elements are nearly what defines a lot of heavy metal and makes it unique.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 7:22 am

They definitely have progressive leanings at points, especially with some of their more recent output, but they're far from being Dream Theater. They're still just balls out, heavy metal.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 12:25 pm

Smindas wrote:
They definitely have progressive leanings at points, especially with some of their more recent output, but they're far from being Dream Theater. They're still just balls out, heavy metal.

Yea, what he said!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:10 pm

Quote :
They may have some progressive-leaning tunes, but I see them as a straight up heavy metal band.
Roger that, captain.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:13 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
Quote :
They may have some progressive-leaning tunes, but I see them as a straight up heavy metal band.
Roger that, captain.

True dat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Iron Maiden Progressive?   Is Iron Maiden Progressive? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Iron Maiden Progressive?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next