Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Sword

Go down 
+54
Andy
corplhicks
Runicen
bgsully
deathisgain
DeathCult
Boris2008
journeyman
Thelemech
Chairman_Smith
The_Jayroh
mr.electric39
Lari
Wurthless
chewie
Sutekh
Witchfinder
Metal Misfit
Joe
Wargod
sheets
troublemagnet
Eyesore
Hamer12
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalH
chucksteak
mez
Gilbert
thejokeriv
the sentinel
SuprimuS
metalinmyveins
manny
nevermore
IHATEGENRES
sam
Tall Tyrion
Troublezone
jstate
Stender
scottmitchell74
TheGooch
MetalGuy71
Mglaffas81
Muloc7253
SAHB Healer
brontotex
White_Mage
ThrashedOutCobra33
Thrasher73
tohostudios
candlemass
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Also, Eye, those guys are tools over at that other board. I am amazed at how personally people take it when a band they don't like makes it big or gets some props. It makes me relish all the more the tight community and overall maturity we have here at the HoM. Peace.
Personally, I think deep down they see themselves as failures. Therefore if they trash everyone, make like they're somehow keeping it "true," then they can continue deluding themselves and avoiding what really is true. To them, anyway.

Those dudes from the Gates of Slumber trashed me over there. Funny how I can buy their latest album in mainstream retail stores like Newbury Comics, FYE and Hot Topic. Rolling Eyes Guess they've sold out.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 pm

I got to see these guys live last weekend. Very good. I was especially impressed by the drummer. He had a pretty minimal kit, yet he was creating some real thunder back there. The drums had a very tribal feel to them. It reminded me of some of the old Sabbath recordings and Bill Ward's thunderous, tribal drumming. I've been a fan of these guys from their debut and they just keep getting better. Glad I got to see them live now too.

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Yeah, the albums are excellent, but live they take it to another level. The comparison with Bill Ward is astute.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 1:58 pm

detuned wrote:
Yeah, the albums are excellent, but live they take it to another level. The comparison with Bill Ward is astute.

Wow. I've been called lots of things over the years, but "astute" was never one. Thanks. I will hold my head up high for the remainder of the day. cheers

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 9:06 am

I caughtthem when they opened for Metallica - pretty good! I plan to pick up both albums
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 12:16 pm

What's their style like? I'm not familiar with them at all...
Back to top Go down

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Gilbert wrote:

NWOBHM inspired.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 12:25 pm

detuned wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

NWOBHM inspired.

with a hard rock edge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 12:37 pm

I think these guys are great and offer something new. I love both albums but the first was better imo. Either way they both are highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 8:36 pm

I am on a business trip, so I bought the albums online (so I can listen to them on de plane!) - on first listen, reminds me of Trouble Meets Sabbath Meets NWOBHM Meets Megadeth meets Metallica
Back to top Go down

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 10:22 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I am on a business trip, so I bought the albums online (so I can listen to them on de plane!) - on first listen, reminds me of Trouble Meets Sabbath Meets NWOBHM Meets Megadeth meets Metallica

They also have a knack for that Thin Lizzy style harmony guitar sound.
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 10:25 pm

Never heard of this one here. But why use the name when a great band already used it before???
Back to top Go down

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 10:30 pm

chucksteak wrote:
Never heard of this one here. But why use the name when a great band already used it before???

I always thought that, but I'd bet they have never heard of the Canadian band.
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:15 am

well I checked out a few songs of them. I had forgotten that I had heard this band before. As soon as I heard the first song it all came back to me because they sound exactly like Tummler. Of course there was a 1000 other bands that all had that sound back in the late 90s stoner rock wave. I like that old dirty analog sound though.
Back to top Go down

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 am

There are some elements of stoner, but they are much more of a straight-ahead old school metal band in my opinion.

The key to the guitar sounds are Gibson Guitars and Orange Amplifiers.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:55 pm

I just picked up Age Of Winter. Love the tone, love the stoner feel. After a while though, every song starts to sound like a groovey jam. I'll have to pick up their newest disc. Hopefully, they expand their sound just a little bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:20 pm

What's wrong with groovy jams?
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Nothin' I guess. I guess I was looking for slightly more depth. Oh well, I still like the cd. Still need to get their latest one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 9:53 pm

chucksteak wrote:

I'm assuming the new band has the "The" in front of their name in order to differentiate them from the old Canadian band.

I only caught one of The Sword's songs at the Metallica show the other night... by the time we got into the damn arena, got our tickets at the will-call window, and found our seats, they were just starting their last song. Sounded pretty good to me. So what would be a good CD of theirs to check out? I'd like to hear more.

Quote :
THIS BAND IS FRIGGIN' GREAT! Why the hell have I ignored them all this time. Oh yeah! Because I'm a dick!

I bought Gods of the Earth on a whim tonite from WalMart of all places and have been blown away!

Sounds like Spec is recommending "Gods of the Earth" and I trust his judgment, soooo... will look into that one next chance I get. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:04 pm

The 1st cd, Age of Winters, has more of the stoner/Sabbathy/jam vibe to it. The 2nd disc, Gods of the Earth, is more up-beat. Both are real good though. Can't go wrong with either one as far as I'm concerned.

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:05 pm

I got my Gods of the Earth CD at Walmart, so you should be able to find it all over, Freddy.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I got my Gods of the Earth CD at Walmart, so you should be able to find it all over, Freddy.

Yea, I believe I got their 1st disc at Target for under $10 bucks. I lucked out and found Gods...used for $3.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanx for the tips, fellers. 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:22 pm

That settles it. With my limited money, I was looking for a CD at Wal-Mart (not the greatest selection obviously) trying to decide what to get. I gave up but I think I'll go back and get Gods Of Earth. The only other one I was thinking about gettin' was the last Lordi album (another band I haven't explored yet). This thread (and the myspace samples) has convinced me to give these guys a try.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 11:08 pm

Before you buy the individual discs, you can get both CDs together in a box set for $14.99 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Box/dp/B001HY3BMW/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1233633998&sr=8-3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Sword - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sword   The Sword - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Sword
Page 3 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next