Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!

Go down 
+10
A Handful of Wayne
Temple of Blood
Stender
MetalGuy71
kmorg
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
Tall Tyrion
Smindas
powermacho
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 5:36 am

Funny thing about that concert video (and album). Alex is in it, but it's mostly Chris Caffery you hear!! That concert is so overdubbed, it's not even funny! And on HoR, it's Jon that does most of the guitars. Alex was just a member on the pictures, almost....

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 8:30 am

Eyesore wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYfFY00n_4

There's Zak doing an outstanding job on one of Savatage's most famous tracks. Not intense and passionate?

Hey, I have the same C.O.C. shirt! I acutally have the album, unfortunatly it doesn't have that song (but it does have Sirens and a duet with Jon on Gutter Ballet). Look, you will find nobody else here who holds Zak as in high regard as I do (he's my favortie vocalist of all time) but the passion of Jon, IMO, is unmatched by any vocalist in metal. Zak has passion and intensity but just not as much as Jon (Zak does beat him in range, power, and in my own personal tastes which is why I'm a bigger fan of his).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 4:29 pm

I love that clip of "Hall of the Mountain King" from the Live '94. I originally saw it years ago, and Zak does such a fantastic job on it.
kmorg wrote:
Funny thing about that concert video (and album). Alex is in it, but it's mostly Chris Caffery you hear!! That concert is so overdubbed, it's not even funny! And on HoR, it's Jon that does most of the guitars. Alex was just a member on the pictures, almost....
I always found it weird that the concert video was overdubbed by Caffery - it really demeans Skolnick's present, doesn't it? Also, as far as I know, nearly everything on HoR was Jon. The writing, the bass, the rhythm guitars, the piano... can't remember who was on drums and Skolnick did the leads., and of course Zak on vocals. Everyone else was in the photos just so it didn't look like the "Jon Oliva Experience".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 5:05 pm

Smindas wrote:

I always found it weird that the concert video was overdubbed by Caffery - it really demeans Skolnick's present, doesn't it?

I was always a little ticked about that to tell you the truth. No reason for it, IMO.

Quote :
Also, as far as I know, nearly everything on HoR was Jon. The writing, the bass, the rhythm guitars, the piano... can't remember who was on drums and Skolnick did the leads., and of course Zak on vocals. Everyone else was in the photos just so it didn't look like the "Jon Oliva Experience".

Jon did the drums as well. When Skolnick was called in, he recorded a few leads and assorted guitar parts, but a lot of the leads are Jon's. Zak recorded the vocals based on Jon's scratch tracks and that was it.

I would LOVE to get ahold of HOR with Jon's vocals, but I've never heard that those tracks still exist. Probably they don't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Jon is the awesome songwriter who established the SAVATAGE style.

Zak is the singing pro.

There's a guy with a good head on his shoulders.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 12:05 pm

Quote :
Funny thing about that concert video (and album). Alex is in it, but it's mostly Chris Caffery you hear!! That concert is so overdubbed, it's not even funny!

Shocked I had no idea...I used to watch that concert a lot...I could detect some overdubs, but I assumed that the guitar overdubs were Alex overdubbing himself...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Let's just say that Chris sounds more Savatage then Alex....

It's even more weird though, as Chris never really recorded with the band 'til after the Doctor Butcher album. But he had been a member of the band for years!!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Yeah, I've always found Chris' involvement in the band very odd. I don't get why he wasn't a full fledged member from when he was first brought in. I remember reading that when he was first hired for live rhythm, he was offstage when playing! What!

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 3:40 pm

I don't even own that Savatage live dvd. That ain't savatage.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:10 pm

I love all Savatage all the time! 🤘

(the Jon/Criss era slightly more though) Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3