Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!

Go down 
+10
A Handful of Wayne
Temple of Blood
Stender
MetalGuy71
kmorg
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
Tall Tyrion
Smindas
powermacho
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:08 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Zak blows Jon away. Jon might fit the music
better, but if Zak is second tier, Jon is about fourth. And I'm not
hating on Jon here.
Yeah, I agree. Ironically, Jon's vocals got much better on the later
albums as he adopted some of Zak's vocal stylings (listen to Poets and Madmen for proof here).

There are some songs that I could not see Zak improving, though,
particularly Gutter Ballet and When The Crowds Are Gone. Jon slays on those songs.
Jon definitely got better on later albums. There are certain older Savatage songs that are almost hard to listen to when Jon is screaming. It just hurts. Either way, he definitely does some songs better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:08 pm

thewalkofman wrote:
One word, overated.
That's not a word.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:50 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Stender wrote:
Even though Zak may be vocally superior

I realize you are saying "may" and not saying "is". But....
Zak is pretty second tier when it come to vocals, methinks. Oliva always sounds better, even on the emotional stuff. Listen to Streets and tell me Zak would sound better on those songs.

I dont know dude....sure some songs wouldnt sound good with zak on vocal duties if he was the main vocalist from the beginning. I say this because like Dallasblack, I think Jon has way more heart that goes in his songs then Zak. And even though I still think Zak is better vocalist, Jon takes my vote because of that "human" factor he adds. I agree with your remark about Streets also.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Jon has such character to his voice. I think Zak is a great singer, but he wouldn't do justice to something like Streets. Also, Jon's version of "All I Bleed" - fantastic. Literally one of my favourite vocal performances ever.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 12:13 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:
Zak RULES!! 🤘

I'll second that. Zak is my favorite vocalist of all time and EOT is probably one of my favorite albums of all time. I like ALL Savatage to death and could never say a cross word about them.

Quote :
I wonder how good is the music from Circle 2 circle

If ya don't like Savatage with Zak, then you won't like CIIC.

Sorry for being a bit ruff with my commend, Savatage is one of my favorite bands along with metal church, Alice cooper and judas priest, and EOT was my first cd from Savatage. But I only have Edge of Thorns and Death Winter Death from Zak, and I like both albums.
I have a question. Is there any official dvd of a savatage concert?
someone send me a video from a savatage concert where Zak sings, It was around the Handful of rain tour
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 12:56 am

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
You look like Sam Kinison.

Haha,He does!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 12:15 pm

Jon is def. the voice for Savatage. But I have always loved Zak too.

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 1:43 pm

spectrefate wrote:
C'mon the beginning of the end of Savatage was when Zak took over on vocals.....Jon Oliva along with Criss were the soul of Savatage, IMO. I think Criss, if he lived (God rest his soul) wouldn't have stayed with Savatage if his brother wasn't doing it anymore.

No, Savatage lost it's original soul after Chris passed away. His guitar playing and sound along with the songwriting (which Jon always had a hand in anyway) were the main ingredients that made the band so great. In fact, I think Edge of Thorns was his best album as a player and he got let to rip more after the very piano-heavy Streets.

I still like post- Chris Savatage, but it was more of a project thing after that, and the sound was different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 2:04 pm

Eyesore wrote:
thewalkofman wrote:
One word, overated.
That's not a word.

It is in my dictionary.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 2:17 pm

question....

what about the other Tage' singer ? Damond Jiniva ?

Seen him live with them at a very small club here in Sacramento and was left really wanting to hear him do an album with them.

People talk about the difference in zak and Jon with the vocals, but you never hear mention of the different vibe, groove and feel of the drums after Steve left.
Big difference to my ears, but I guess to alot of folks it went un-noticed. Criss got overlooked for his talent and ability, but so did Steve.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 2:57 pm

All I've seen of Damond is an admittedly not great quality clip of him on Youtube. But from what little I did see, he seemed a very fitting replacement and somewhere between Jon and Zak stylistically. I'd have liked to hear him on something recorded.

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:39 pm

Funny thing is, JOP and CIIC seem to have more stable lineups than Savatage had the last decade of their active existence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:42 pm

thewalkofman wrote:
One word, overated.

let me know when you're 18, so I can beat you up and not got to jail.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:42 pm

Haha. You'll be awaiting a good long while. I hope you forget by then though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:45 pm

YOU KEEP RAGGING ON SAVATAGE, AND I'LL NEVER FORGET. ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 811939
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:46 pm

HEY, Never was I ragging on Savatage. I love Savatage. I just don't think Zak Stevens is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 4:23 pm

thewalkofman wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
thewalkofman wrote:
One word, overated.
That's not a word.
It is in my dictionary.
Bet it's not. Let's make a lifetime ban bet. =)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 4:25 pm

St Patrik wrote:
Funny thing is, JOP and CIIC seem to have more stable lineups than Savatage had the last decade of their active existence.
And they're all writing songs with each other still! It lends more truth to Kmorg's theory that Paul O'Neill owns the Savatage name.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 4:26 pm

thewalkofman wrote:
HEY, Never was I ragging on Savatage. I love Savatage. I just don't think Zak Stevens is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
You're clearly "overating" sliced bread. Zak is awesome. Sliced bread is not.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 5:54 pm

I think Zak is a great singer. However, I prefer Jon singing for Savatage.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 10:07 pm

power + range = Zak
intensity + passion = Jon

The songs that Jon sung on would not be the same with Zak due to his passion. The songs that Zak sung on would not be the same with Jon because at the time Jon no longer had a passion for singing (which I believe is why he stepped down as vocalist at the time) and would not sound as convincing as Zak who has the power and the range for most of the songs written at that time.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYfFY00n_4

There's Zak doing an outstanding job on one of Savatage's most famous tracks. Not intense and passionate?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 12:22 am

Jon is the awesome songwriter who established the SAVATAGE style.

Zak is the singing pro.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 12:22 am

Eyesore wrote:

There's Zak doing an outstanding job on one of Savatage's most famous tracks. Not intense and passionate?

That was an awesome concert.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 12:26 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

That was an awesome concert.
It was. But I hate it when singers hold the microphone like it's a lolipop. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!   ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ZAK STEVENS PROBABLY SUCKS!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next