Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal a lifestyle or a fad?

Go down 
+25
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
metalheaded
kmorg
TheGooch
ghost
ThrashedOutCobra33
stepcousin
Troublezone
Stender
James B.
mc666
exact33
EvyMetal
krokus
GrandNational
Selvmord
Wargod
juanmiguel
Chairman_Smith
tohostudios
ultrametal
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultrametal
Metal student
Metal student
ultrametal

Number of posts : 192

Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Empty
PostSubject: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Ok heres a situational question I get asked in a non confronting way from some co workers and a few "conservative" christians. Its usually a question of why I listen to the music I do or why I dont like mellower music or why I play in a Metal band. Sometimes its is a bit persoanl and Ill get someone brave enough to ask me why I havent grown out of my music yet or I need to "exspand" my music taste.
So I just tell them its a lifestyle its more than just music for me. I mean I do like other styles of music but Metal will always be in my blood.

So is it in your blood? Are you living the lifestyle or is it just something you think you might grow out of someday? Maybe your someone who was into metal in your youth and now your grown and youre now "Mature" and like somehting else.

Chime in here give you thoughts on that..
Back to top Go down
http://www.burnlounge.com/desertriomedia
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 2:54 pm

I say it's neither.

I don't live the metal "lifestyle" at all. My hair is short, I work in IT and I'm not really into going to shows anymore.

On the other hand, I've listened to heavy music since I was a pre-teen and while my tastes have broadened as I've gotten older, they certainly haven't gotten mellower.

So I say metal doesn't have to be a lifestyle or a fad. It's simply a style of music some people prefer.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 2:58 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I say it's neither.

I don't live the metal "lifestyle" at all. My hair is short, I work in IT and I'm not really into going to shows anymore.

On the other hand, I've listened to heavy music since I was a pre-teen and while my tastes have broadened as I've gotten older, they certainly haven't gotten mellower.

So I say metal doesn't have to be a lifestyle or a fad. It's simply a style of music some people prefer.

Or even an attitude about life.
Back to top Go down
juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 3:04 pm

It's my freakin' RELIGION!!!

haha! yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh \m/

seriously now, based on my physical appearance I can't pass for someone into the metal lifestyle. I'm sure some of my friends would, but not me. Oh, and it sure as hell ain't a fad for those special people who have the preference for heavy music in their blood.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 3:19 pm

I've actually grown into the metal music scene over the years and don't see myself changing at all it's in my blood always has been. I usually try to dress metal, shirts, tats.......

A number of years ago someone asked me when I would grow up and listen to some descent music, I said what's your description of descent they had no comment.

To me music grabs each individual differently for me metal and blues are where I'm at! Most of my friends I hang around with would never in a million years like what I play or own that's why metal and true metal has a select company!

Wargod48

NP: Battlecry - Keeper Of The Light
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 3:48 pm

One other thing I've noticed about people my age; they may not have gotten mellower but many are stuck listening to the music of their past. I have several friends who only listen to Priest, Maiden, Kiss, etc.

Me? I love discovering new bands. I still listen to older bands but I really revel in finding bands I've never heard of before that light a new fire under me. (latest example is The Dogma)

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 3:50 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Me? I love discovering new bands. I still listen to older bands but I really revel in finding bands I've never heard of before that light a new fire under me. (latest example is The Dogma)

That is the greatness of heavy metal so much out there not so refined but enormous amounts!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:13 pm

Lifestyle to me says, long hair, metal spikes, holy jeans, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's what it says to me. Having said that, it's not my lifestyle. I no longer have long hair, I work in an office, and I do go to SOME shows, but not as many as I did when I lived at home.

It's not a fad with me either. My first metal tapes were Quiet Riot's Metal Health, and Def Leppards Pyromaina back in 83. So it's not a passing fad because my tastes have gotten hevier as I get older. I do like to listen to more mellow stuff from time to time, but I always go back to metal. It's the music I love, and that I will always love. I don't need to "look the part" in order to be a fan of metal.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:39 pm

I've never looked like a guy that would listen to metal, and most people who meet me and ask me what I like to listen to usually trip out when I mention metal. Just ignorant people who have a herd mentality and no personal knowledge about themselves.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:46 pm

For me its a lifestyle. I listen/buy only stuff thats part of our metal movement, i have long hair, elastic jeans, metal spikes and chains when i dont work, etc...total metal dedication.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:48 pm

METAL IS LITERALLY IN MY BLOOD!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:53 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I say it's neither.

I agree. I too have short hair, have a desk job and dont get to go out to many shows. I think it is more what you enjoy. I like metal because it is fun, entertains and meets my taste in music. I like the aggression in power/thrash and love the melody and time changes in prog. It just simply makes me happy. I think we have a community around metal here but I am not sure there is a definitive lifestyle that one can point to.

Alex

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:59 pm

it's neither a lifestyle or fad. it's a form of musical entertainment.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:06 pm

Asking a musician means something else than asking a listener (IMHO)

A lifestyle doesn't always have something to do with appearance.

One day you'll see me and I'll look like an old hippie in tie dye and barefoot, the next day, perhaps it will be me in boots and a leather vest riding a scooter round town. Both of those things are a big part of my life but neither define me. I can sit behind a kit and jam with whatever most folks wanna play, but metal takes me to that higher level. No matter how I may look, that fact of what the music does inside of me will never change.

my .02
Laterz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:20 pm

I think this is an issue that plaugues all groups. There are people who believe that in order to be a member you have to do this and that, which is bull.

In the case of metal, it's really a matter of principles: I think a true metalhead is one who doesn't let others step over him/herself because of their musical tastes (same with a true rocker). You don't have to know every note or word from every Sabbath song; you don't have to have hair down to your ass; you don't have to wear denim and leather all the time; you don't have to pick fights with Simple Plan fans (as tempting as it may be). The metal and rock'n'roll lifestyle is truly loving the music, not the concept.

Take me for example: although I do have long hair, it's only around (just past) my shoulders; and with the rusty jeans, retro shirts, and occassional trucker hat I wear, I look more like a member of Deep Purple. I've never worn leather and studs. However, I appreciate metal foe the music; until I joined this forum, I've never known of anyone else who actually buys albums and sits down and listens to them start to finish. It's the love of the art. That's the lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 6:08 pm

well put firehouse! Love of the music is at the heart of it for me!

Alex

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 1:13 am

Definately lifestyle, because its not a fad, and my liking of metal goes far beyond just musical enjoyment or preference. My entire Stender cash capitol goes: 90% metal albums, 10% food. The majority of my time is dedicated to this music and I have actually been told by a member of a alt rock that I do sound work for that they want to play harder/faster when I am in the room!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 2:05 am

I'll disagree with MC on this one. It IS a lifestyle for me. I crave the unity. I crave the rage. I crave the descention toward the boring, typical American Dream BS that the media has crammed down my throat since I popped onto this forsaken rock. All these things are what have "styled my life" - Metal is the soundtrack to that lifestyle. But not merely metal. Reggae, Ska, Punk, old Country, hell, basically any music that makes me feel it is trying to show a different way than the norm. And the hair? It just so happens I like the way it slaps on my back after I take a shower. That, and with my profession, I need an appearance where people will think twice before messin' with me. So it an all-encompassing lifestyle for me, even in the professional world.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 2:16 am

Been listening to metal since junior high and i've never "grown out" of it. On the other hand i don't go walking down the street looking like Manowar or someone trying to get attention either. What is a metal lifestyle? Other than going to metal shows and owning cd's everyone does ordinary chores in the day and work day jobs etc...
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 5:58 am

tohostudios wrote:
I say it's neither.

I concur exactly. I dont even know what a metal lifestyle is. To me being "metal' is going against the grain of the world's way of thinking. In that way, I suppose I am because most people I know who are my age arent into metal anymore. I'm into metal more than ever. Also, most "metalheads" dont listen to some of the non-metal that I like as well. So I dont live by the rules of the world, be it "normal" people or metal people. I listen to what I want, when I want and I dont care what the world thinks.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 6:01 am

If you only feel good around metalheads, if its hard to have a good time with people outside our movement. If you need to dress metal when you are not working. If you need to talk and listen to heavy metal all the time and you want to go to metal concerts to bang your head till you are death. Or if you love heavy metal battle lirics of your fave metal bands. etc......then its a LIFESTYLE to you.
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 6:06 am

Metal for me is a lifestyle
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 7:01 am

It is lifestyle but that does not express itself in appearance it is more in the heart. I knew a lot of people who listened to Metal in the 80s because it was popular and cool. But Metal never reached their hearts and I knew a lot of people where at a certain point Metal reached their hearts and they will always love Metal.

When I was around 18, one of my buddies asked me what we will do when we are 60 years old, what music will we listen. And what the hell will we do with all these Metal vinyl discs. I looked at him very surprised and said to him “Man, we will always listen to Metal independent from the age, because Metal has reached our hearts”. Then 2 years later I moved, and we did not met anymore until two years ago. We met by chance on a Motörhead concert and I am sure that it could be possible that we meet again in 20 years on a Metal concert.

When my son started listening to music it was Metal, maybe because he knew this style from me. Then later in school all the kids listened to Hip Hop, and so he started listening to Hip Hop and sold his few Metal CDs. But after a year or so, he came back to Metal and told me that Hip Hop sucks. He listens to Metal for about four years now after his Hip Hop period; he has a Metal CD collection of approximately 80 CDs. No one of his friends or classmates listens to Metal, but he doesn’t care about that. I’m sure he will always listen to Metal, because it has reached his heart. And that is the lifestyle that I mean.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 7:33 am

GHOST, of course you are right. For many people in the 80s they just listen to metal because it was popular. Then a few, like you and some others realy lived it and thats why you are on this forum today. I lived metal since the late 80s and it was hard to see how nearly all my friends changed with grunge and later alternative/nu metal(between 93 and 96) but i kept the fire burning and today their are again many young metalheads fighting for our movement. Many of them will not be part of it in 2015 but people like you and me GHOST will be here even in 2045 if we dont die before lol
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 8:44 am

i no longer have long hair anymore but and i do not go to a million and one shows but it can be a lifestyle i think although i dont like some of its aspects like the tatoos and smoking a lot of people i knew associated with metal. i like the drinking though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal a lifestyle or a fad?   Metal a lifestyle or a fad? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal a lifestyle or a fad?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next