Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical

Go down 
+16
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
Louder
James B.
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
T-Roy
stormspell
Olafsto
mc666
candlemass
Thrasher73
XYZ
DallasBlack
Troublezone
Stender
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Empty
PostSubject: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 9:58 pm

If you listen to christian metal, the lyrics can be one of two styles. Turn or burn is the aproach that bands like Vengeance Rising, Believer, Deliverance, and Mortfication used, while bands like Extol, Becoming the archetype, Veni Domine, and Eterna tend to use a not as straight forward metaphorical style. I like Turn or burn because it has "take no prisoners", dont care attitude. Some would say this defeats the purpose of "reaching out" but I say its just getting peoples attention.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 10:04 pm

To use your terminology, I prefer the turn and burn. People are generally stupid and need to be beat over the head to get it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 10:16 pm

I like both but i'm more familiar with turn or burn.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 10:30 pm

Both have their places. IMO, metaphoracal is best for power, progressive, goth, and other less extreme metal forms while the more extreme ones (black, thrash, death, and doom) is best for the turn or burn. In the end whichever one they feel like using, the imortant thing is getting the message out there.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:08 am

spectrefate wrote:
People are generally stupid and need to be beat over the head to get it.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:15 am

Turn or Burn for me.People need to hear it like it is.Vengeance said it best in the song "Beheaded"-"And then you will Fry!!!"
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:17 am

The eclectic pragmatic approach is best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 2:33 am

i'm not a christian, so therefore it didn't matter what they sang about. it all came out as gibberish to me. it's the music that matters to me.

Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 3:28 am

Personally I prefer methaphorical by far!! Makes it a lot more interresting and challenging, and will also reach out to more people i think, maybe light a spark and make them look further into christianity.
Turn or burn lyrics really makes me feel uncomfortable, speaking as a very liberal christian. And imo will only make non christians listeners feel the artist is underrating them, and push them further away instead of scaring them into listening.
But I may be wrong, maybe most people are as stupid as Spectrfate, and needs to get the message shoved down their throates just kidding
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 3:42 am

mc666 wrote:
i'm not a christian, so therefore it didn't matter what they sang about. it all came out as gibberish to me. it's the music that matters to me.

Me two.

Although, the really aggressive preaching lyrics annoy me sometimes. The brutal approach "people are stupid and need to be told in what to believe" doesnt click well with me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:29 am

stormspell wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Me two.

Although, the really aggressive preaching lyrics annoy me sometimes. The brutal approach "people are stupid and need to be told in what to believe" doesnt click well with me.
Dude, that is the STUP....oh sorry lol!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:36 am

I like 'em both. I like the brutality of turn or burn, but metaphorical makes for far more deep and intersting lyrics. I think Olafsto has some good points. I myself, usually require a good whack upside the head with a 2x4 however.

TURN OR BURN!!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 10:58 am

Turn or Burn doesn't neccessarily bother me, except for the fact that alot of the Turn or Burn bands usually have somekind of fundamentalist-style message behind them, and can also have some rather insipid lyrical themes to go along with them.

I personally prefer the allegorical lyrics alot more. They make for more intresting lyrics, and frankly show better songwriting skills.

Though to be perfectly honest, I much prefer a christian song that is just genereally positive and uplifting, like a Stryper or Narnia song.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:45 am

Whether one believes this are not ? We are accountable for everything we say. Even if you are a person who doesn't buy into Christianity, this principal still applies. Try going up to someone and say something derogatory or offensive, the odds of getting chin-checked are pretty high. You can have a whole cd full of tunes that have no metaphor or allegory type lyrica and still stray far from any turn or burn content. The true message of Christ is love and you can use that to convey lots of biblical and / or spiritual principals.

I really dig allegory as opposed to either metaphor and turn or burn. Though you can approach a topic quite nice with any of them.
Back to top Go down
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:59 am

I like both styles, as long as they're well-written lyrics.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 pm

I don't mind either style, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably say metaphorical. When the band leaves things open to interpretation, it makes for a more interesting song, I guess. Sometimes the "turn or burn" stuff can come off a little too heavy handed or cliched (sp?).

Overall if the music/vocals are good enough, the lyrics are secondary, so it really doesn't matter all that much to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 1:09 pm

I mostly prefer allegory but if it's something straight out of say, Revelation, turn or burn seems to fit more. I notice that Christ spent most of his ministry being about love though he had fits of just being straight up in your face.
I wonder if those that are turned off by the turn or burn message are as turned off by the uber satanic message of many black/death bands?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 1:44 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
I mostly prefer allegory but if it's something straight out of say, Revelation, turn or burn seems to fit more. I notice that Christ spent most of his ministry being about love though he had fits of just being straight up in your face.
I wonder if those that are turned off by the turn or burn message are as turned off by the uber satanic message of many black/death bands?

Thats what I always wonder. As the old saying goes, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 3:38 pm

If the music is good, it don't matter. I won't pay attention anyways.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 7:02 pm

You can express "turn or burn" as a metaphor too.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 8:19 pm

As long as the lyrics are intelligent dont mind either. there is room for more explicit lyrics and those that are more allegorical in nature. As long as they dont get cheesy they are ok with me!

Alex

UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 12:25 pm

Oh, please not another thread about christian metal. Not a week goes by without someone trying to start a thread about christian metal.

I have always believed that it is the music that counts, particularly with the more extreme metal music as the lyrics will be unheard with a lot of vocal styles. I don't care what a band sings about.

On a christian metal note the only artist I have ever listened to that could be called christian metal is Rob Rock, man can that guy sing.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 1:18 pm

UltraMagnus007 wrote:
Oh, please not another thread about christian metal. Not a week goes by without someone trying to start a thread about christian metal.
this forum serves as the main forum for the christian metal band Ultimatum, it is also run by christian guys. therefore, you better get used to seeing threads concerning christian metal. you always have the option of not opening those specific threads, if you have nothing to offer to them. Wink

UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 3:32 pm

mc666 wrote:
UltraMagnus007 wrote:
this forum serves as the main forum for the christian metal band Ultimatum, it is also run by christian guys. therefore, you better get used to seeing threads concerning christian metal. you always have the option of not opening those specific threads, if you have nothing to offer to them. Wink

Well, seems I've been told.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 3:42 pm

indeed

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical   Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christian lyrical themes: Turn or burn vs. Metaphorical
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next