Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Lyrical themes

Go down 
+2
scottmitchell74
Chairman_Smith
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Metal Lyrical themes Empty
PostSubject: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 11:09 am

I am Catholic by choice. I have my relationship with God and am content with it. I accept people on who they are regardless of political or religious views and don't impose mine upon them.
I listen to alot christian metal because the genre has some really excellent music and I find the lyrical themes to often be enjoyable and educational to read. But I also love bands like Akercocke, Deicide, and All Out War which have blatent anti-christian lyrical themes which I don't particularly care for. The music is what is most important.

Are there any of you that are automatically turned off by a band's lyrical theme without even hearing them?

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 11:13 am

spectrefate wrote:
I am Catholic by choice. I have my relationship with God and am content with it. I accept people on who they are regardless of political or religious views and don't impose mine upon them.
I listen to alot christian metal because the genre has some really excellent music and I find the lyrical themes to often be enjoyable and educational to read. But I also love bands like Akercocke, Deicide, and All Out War which have blatent anti-christian lyrical themes which I don't particularly care for. The music is what is most important.

Are there any of you that are automatically turned off by a band's lyrical theme without even hearing them?

Thoughts?

Cheesy Sexual lyrics always kind of annoyed me, except for Kiss's case for some reason.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 11:40 am

I don't mind occassional references to just about anything....it's when it gets pervasive, repetitive, or purposely mean-spirited.

That being said I avoid bands like Deicide which is OVERTLY and Purposely anti-Christian. I LOVE Minor Threat but I can't listen to them any more because they cuss so much. I don't mind the occassional sprinkling but when it's over and over it's bound to get stuck in my head (music does that!) and I just don't want that. Overtly and repet1tively sexual lyrics are basically a no-go for me as well. There's nothing wrong with sexual type lyrics in a song that even gets a little graphic as long as it's contextual and - maybe - in a song to a wife/girlfriend/lover. But songs that are needlessly or childishly sexual just do nothing for me. I don't want to be humming in my head "c#ck, c@ck, C*ck, my c$ck is a rock" or something along those lines. Just don't need that...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 11:44 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

I don't want to be humming in my head "c#ck, c@ck, C*ck, my c$ck is a rock" or something along those lines. Just don't need that...
Boy, talk about a recipe for a bad day. Smile
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 11:58 am

Even though I'm a Christian, most satanic lyrics don't bother me at all. I listen to a lot of black metal, and obviously most of the bands of that ilk are pretty big on satanic lyrics/imagery. I do pick and choose however, and there are some satanic bands that I wont listen to because of the lyrics (acheron is one). There's a lot of black metal that's big on norse mythology, jewish mysticism, folk tales, sumerian mythology, hp lovecraft, etc, and that doesn't bother me in the least. I'm actually bothered by racist lyrics more than anything. Over the top sexploitation type lyrics bother me as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 12:05 pm

outofstep wrote:
I do pick and choose however, and there are some satanic bands that I wont listen to because of the lyrics (acheron is one).
I was in a band with one of the millions of former Acheron guitarists, Stacey Connelly, years ago. Recently, I've heard him talk about his time in Acheron. Those guys are a bunch of goofballs. They ooze cheese. I dislike them as well.
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 12:14 pm

spectrefate wrote:
outofstep wrote:
I do pick and choose however, and there are some satanic bands that I wont listen to because of the lyrics (acheron is one).
I was in a band with one of the millions of former Acheron guitarists, Stacey Connelly, years ago. Recently, I've heard him talk about his time in Acheron. Those guys are a bunch of goofballs. They ooze cheese. I dislike them as well.

Yeah, the "rites of the black mass" album was too over the top for me. When a band (any band, not just acheron) is performing actual rituals and invocations, I just can't listen to it, even thought I agree, they (acheron) are really cheezy.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 12:23 pm

Most of the time I will listen to just about anything except the overly satanic, anti-Christian, or overly sexual lyrics. I just feel that people that hate me and my beliefs are not worthy of my time or money. Pagan lyrics like Therion, Borknagar, and the like do not bother me in the least. The occasional cuss word (Strapping Young Lad) is tolerable as are lyrics that cast doubt about Christian faith (Theatre of Tragedy). In the end it is between you and God what you listen to. If you feel that God does not want you listening to certain music and you do, then you are sinning. However, if you feel that God does not care and your faith is strong, then go for it.🤘
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 12:31 pm

I choose not to listen to anything Satanic or ANTI Christian however
cheesy or lame they may be. However, I appreciate all the music and all
the great friends here that enjoy both! Even though their not nearly as
Holy and righteous as me! Very Happy

Last edited by on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 12:32 pm

Quote :
There's a lot of black metal that's big on norse
mythology, jewish mysticism, folk tales, sumerian mythology, hp
lovecraft, etc, and that doesn't bother me in the least.

Exactly....I like Viking metal and such. I understand/recognize that they are singing about religions different than mine ( or a lack of religion) but it's not hate filled, disrespectful or just plain stupid. In school we learn about different religions and belief systems. I have no problem hearing about them in my music..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 1:02 pm

Stay away from Slayer
You'll make it to heaven
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 1:31 pm

Slayer arent that bad lyrically,IMO.You have to read between the lines sometimes.Mostly politically and social stuff there,but Deicide on the other hand I dont care for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Lyrical themes   Metal Lyrical themes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Lyrical themes
Page 1 of 1