Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Social Distortion

Go down 
+5
Tall Tyrion
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Shiney
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Social Distortion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 2:42 am

I highly recommend Cheating At Solitaire by Mike Ness. This album gives you exactly what Social Distortion is built upon. Stip away the punk overtones and Social Distortion has always had country, rockabilly, blues, and even some bluegrass running right below the surface.

THE DEVIL IN MISS JONES 🤘

That picture I posted above was taken on his solo tour back in 1999. He played at Juanita's in Little Rock, AR. That night changed my entire perspective of Mike Ness. I think I mentioned this here before, but I'll say it again. I went with a friend, Neil (also in the photo). Neil was born in Memphis, and basically raised as a racist by racists. He grew up hating blacks, Mexicans, Jews, etc. A typical southern racist. And he had tattoos to prove it. (I learned all this over the course of becoming great friends with him.) Then he joined the Air Force.

His first base was Little Rock, Arkansas, not too far from home, or that way of thinking. But it was far enough. Deep down, he was a good guy, with a good heart, and the Air Force, of course, enlists people of all colors and religions, as long as they're American citizens. This seriously messed with his head, because up until then he encountered very few people outside of that close-minded culture in which he was raised. He worked as a Combat Arms Trainer, so he was outside, way at the back end of the base, pretty much his entire shift every day. He was skinny, and the extreme heat of Arkansas often got to him and he'd find himself dehydrated. One day he collapsed in his dorm room from severe dehydration—luckily with his door open.

He was found by another cop walking down the hall. His name was Santiago, clearly not the name of a white guy. Santiago—whom we both became great friends with—called an ambulance, got Neil to the hospital, and even stayed there for a few hours until Neil woke up. They had never met previously, as Santiago was new to the base. When Neil found out his life had been saved by a Mexican, that seriously messed with his head. He was taught to hate this guy, and here Santiago was, a stranger, saving Neil's life. And he would have died, too, had his door not been open. No doubt about it; he would have died.

So that was basically the first thing that got Neil questioning his entire way of thinking about life and the people in it. And he struggled with it. It tormented him. Similar incidents happened, where he would simply encounter the kindness of another, a person he was raised to hate. All that pushed him closer to enlightenment, you could say. Then a short while later, Social Distortion, his favorite punk band, released White Light, White Heat, White Trash. The song "I Was Wrong," many of you know. This song was about Mike Ness's addictions and how he always blamed everyone else for his shortcomings and mistakes. But in reality, he was wrong, not someone else. This song was basically what finally made Neil shed his skin. He knew what the song meant to Mike Ness, but he turned the words into something positive for himself and finally admitted that he was simply wrong, the way he was raised was wrong. He then went through a process of getting his racist tattoos covered up, and you'd never know they had been there. He was a new man, basically. It was a dramatic and moving thing to watch. It taught me a lot.

A few years later, Ness rolled through town on his solo tour, and we of course didn't miss it. The best thing about the show: he played "I Was Wrong." It was one of the most powerful moments in my life. The best thing about the night, however, was after the show. We waited by the tour bus, but no one came out. We were the only people waiting. A female (his tour manager, I think) came out and told us that Mike was still inside, but he's pretty private and doesn't often meet with fans. That sucked because I was hoping Neil could meet him and thank him. So I walked back toward the door with the lady, pulled her aside, and sort of gave her a quick version of what I just said above. I think she understood that it would have meant a lot for my friend to just shake this guy's hand. A few minutes she came out and let us back in the club.

Not only did Mike meet with us, but he let us stay for over an hour. We all (about ten people) sat around chatting like old friends. Neil told his story. He had a hard time getting through it all, but everyone was patient and they were moved by it. You could just tell. Mike was appreciative; he even thanked us for being in the Air Force and serving the country and all that. Eventually everyone had to go, so we got up, shook hands with everyone, and snapped that photo above (we both have it blown-up and framed). As we got to the door, I turned around, walked back, shook Mike's hand one more time and said, "I just wanted to thank you again. You have no idea what you have done for him." And Mike replied, "Hopefully the same that he did for me." I thought that was pretty kick ass!

And that's my Mike Ness story. Some people say he's a dick; but I think he's the frickin' man.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 4:49 pm

Gonna see these guys tonight. They're the opening band for Pearl Jam. Don't like PJ, only going to see Social D. Hopefully they've got something new in the works. Been too long since their last album.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 5:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Gonna see these guys tonight. They're the opening band for Pearl Jam. Don't like PJ, only going to see Social D. Hopefully they've got something new in the works. Been too long since their last album.

Excellent band you will love it, BTW stick around for Pearl Jam, I have seen them live and they are 100x better live, may even convert you into a fan.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 6:32 pm

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Excellent band you will love it, BTW stick around for Pearl Jam, I have seen them live and they are 100x better live, may even convert you into a fan.

Eh, not likely. I've heard their debut cd (my wife is a fan) and it's not bad. But something about Eddie Vedder really bothers me. I can't like him or his band. I liked him on Temple of the Dog, but that's about it.

I've seen Social Distortion before years ago, they were AWESOME!! One of my most memorable concerts. I was so excited to hear they were opening for PJ and I'd get to see them live again (for free too). Mike Ness is a bad mofo.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 am

Social Distortion was good, but not great. I suppose it was 'casue they were just an opening act. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great, but the "show" was pretty bland. They came out, had very little stage banter, played the songs. I was hoping to hear something new from them, but it was not the case. The set-list was more-or-less a greatest hits thing. The oldest song they did was 'Mommy's Little Monster'.

The one highlight of their set was before they played the song 'Ball & Chain', Eddie Vedder and one of PJ's guitarists came out and played with the band. Eddie & Mike each took a verse of the song. Eddie sounded his usual over-emoting, warbling self. Kinda cool I guess, but I wasn't overly impressed. I don't like Eddie Vedder.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 8:57 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have never really investigated this band though I've been told they'd be right up my alley as I'm a huge Ramones fan and Social D. have a rep for being "L.A.'s version of the Ramones."

Back in '92 or '93 I thought I'd finally get a chance to find out for myself cuz Social Distortion opened a Ramones show I was going to in New York. Unfortunately, my buddy and I had endless amounts of trouble getting to the venue, got there seriously late, and walked in just in time to hear "Thank you New York, we're Social Distortion, good night!" -- damn!!

Looks like I shall finally get a chance to hear Social D. after all this time - a co-worker just loaned me their self titled album from 1990. Is that a good one?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 9:08 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I have never really investigated this band though I've been told they'd be right up my alley as I'm a huge Ramones fan and Social D. have a rep for being "L.A.'s version of the Ramones."

Back in '92 or '93 I thought I'd finally get a chance to find out for myself cuz Social Distortion opened a Ramones show I was going to in New York. Unfortunately, my buddy and I had endless amounts of trouble getting to the venue, got there seriously late, and walked in just in time to hear "Thank you New York, we're Social Distortion, good night!" -- damn!!

Looks like I shall finally get a chance to hear Social D. after all this time - a co-worker just loaned me their self titled album from 1990. Is that a good one?

Personally I think it is a great album and has their version of Johnny Cash's "Ball & Chain" which was a radio hit.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 6:06 am

I like 'em. Ness is a good songwriter... He is like a modern day Johnny Cash.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 9:23 am

So I listened to that Social Distortion disc a couple of times yesterday and then gave it back to my co-worker. It was OK. I liked the cover of Cash's "Ring of Fire." The rest kinda went in one ear, out the other. Not my style I guess.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 10:55 pm

Brand new track by the mighty Social Distortion. The track is off of some new movie called Free Birds...

But let's be honest for a minute here, who cares about the movie, it's a new track by Social D and it is a fantastic cover as well. Social Distortion - Page 2 25679 Social Distortion - Page 2 25679 Social Distortion - Page 2 25679 

oh, and the person that posted the song put the wrong title up. angry
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 am

A so-so cover by Social Distortion is better than nothing at all. Looking forward to something new from these guys. Their last album was a little bland. Mike needs to be pissed off or drunk or something again.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 11:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
A so-so cover by Social Distortion is better than nothing at all. Looking forward to something new from these guys. Their last album was a little bland. Mike needs to be pissed off or drunk or something again.
lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Social Distortion   Social Distortion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Social Distortion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: