Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Here Is A Cool Thought!

Go down 
+2
HellRaiser
rattpoison
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Here Is A Cool Thought! Empty
PostSubject: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 1:50 am

my and my fellow mage were eating breakfast at some forgotten restraunt and a billy idol video came on the air (stay with me) and we were listening to his voice and we had the thought that he might sound kinda cool if he sung with the Misfits just because he has a close matched voice. It's not like its ever gunna happen but its a cool thought
any opinions?
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 2:01 am

Love Billy Idol. Don't know about him fronting the Misfits though. Although you should check out Generation X, Billy Idol's glam punk rock n' roll band from the late 70's. They rocked hard and are the imo the greatest original UK punk band from the original era of 76-79.

Found this video of them performing Wild Youth, wanted to get Night Of The Cadillacs but couldn't find it. Night Of The Cadillacs is one of the greatest Heavy Metal songs i've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA59V8f1Svk
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 2:12 am

Haha RP beat me to the Generation X recomendation.

Definitely worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 2:16 am

Valley Of The Dolls smokes, one of my fav albums. I wouldn't be to far off saying Hanoi Rocks copped a bit of inspiration from that album. Even down to getting Ian Hunter to produce Two Steps From The Move.
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 2:36 am

Been meaning to get Valley of the Dolls forever - unfortunately I only have a 'greatest hits' comp at the moment, which focusses hugely on the first album with only a very small handful of tracks from the other two.

English Dream is an awesome tune though.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 2:37 am

the Misfits woulda kicked Idols ass.

rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 2:38 am

Billy Idol's Generation X smokes those second generation punks the Misfits.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 2:39 am

HellRaiser wrote:
Been meaning to get Valley of the Dolls forever - unfortunately I only have a 'greatest hits' comp at the moment, which focusses hugely on the first album with only a very small handful of tracks from the other two.

Does it have Night Of The Cadillacs on it?
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 2:47 am

rattpoison wrote:
HellRaiser wrote:

Does it have Night Of The Cadillacs on it?

Nope. The only tunes from Valley... are English Dream and King Rocker. About 2/3 of the comp come from the 1st album.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 2:57 am

That's a shame. Cadillacs is a heavy metal blitzer of a song. Valley Of The Dolls is a must, produced by Ian Hunter as well. Blurs the lines between glam, power pop, punk, heavy metal, and this being 1978 as well. Sleazy guitars and sunny melodies.
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 3:13 am

There - just ordered it haha.

Like I said, I've been meaning to get this for awhile, so now's a good a time as any Laughing

I actually only got that comp to get the GenX version of Dancing With Myself (so much better with the extra guitars) - of course right after that, I found out about Valley and that it was produced by Ian Hunter and had big glam leanings, but I just kept forgetting about ordering it.

Thanks for the reminder Very Happy

(and I think this thread might have been highjacked What a Face )
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 5:28 pm

Mage wanted Billy Idol singing for a punk band, well he got it with our little chat about Generation X.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 8:52 pm

I don't like Billy Idol, but I like the Misfits. So it's not a 'cool' thought for me.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Eyes without a face...face...face... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 1:13 am

You guys really ain't hip to Billy Idol and Generation X, Gen X would of been an influence on the Misfits so Billy Idol influenced the Misfits.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 3:09 am

I'll defenetly check out that Genaration X band, Thanks RP

And I dont really see why more metallers arent into Billy Idol
He's written alot of heavy tunes yea some were a little more pop-metal/glam but none the less there still good IMO

Anyway the idea of Idol fronting The Misfits came to me when i watched the video for "Rebel Yell" i think his voice would be nicley matched with The Misfits music

Of course thats just what I think. I'll probally never get to hear it but I thought it'd be cool to see what other people thought about it
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 3:24 am

This thread prompted me to go back and listen to my aforementioned Generation X compilation (it's been a little while) and it's actually quite amazing how diverse this band was, even on tracks from their first album (which is typically considered their 'most punk'). Just from the self-titled you have a John Lennon cover (Gimme Some Truth), a song that sounds like a punkified Slade (Wild Youth - it even has the hand clap/boot stomp thing going), a song with a 2+ minute guitar solo (Youth Youth Youth), a ballad (Kiss Me Deadly) and a handful of more standard punk tunes (some of which have huge pop hooks).

Damn good stuff - and that doesn't even cover the stuff they did after. Can't wait until Valley Of The Dolls arrives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here Is A Cool Thought!   Here Is A Cool Thought! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Here Is A Cool Thought!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: