Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS

Go down 
+6
sovdat
scottmitchell74
KissinMaiden
ultmetal
Required Fields
Shiney
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 4:38 pm

If you want to take the controls and set it up, go for it. I'll sticky the post for you. You can still see the pairings from the first and second rounds in the review section.

I'd do it, but I've got some serious university work right now, so I'm doing internet searches and writing like mad lately!

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 4:48 pm

I'm in whenever the next round happens..seems to be some falling apart this last time...things not reviewed....

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 5:16 pm

Shiney wrote:
I'm in whenever the next round happens..seems to be some falling apart this last time...things not reviewed....

Shiney I'd be happy if you were doing the next one again, I mean you did it well the last time and you know the ropes.

It is a bit of a dissapointment when the discs that you send are not reviewed, and you go to the bother of doing them and posting them off and here nothing.

I actualy forgot to type out the tracklist for my comps when the discs were being sent so I sent them by PM & posted them in this thread a few pages back.

Hail king Shiney humble
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 5:31 pm

Actually I boogered it up last time...there was a second page to the thread and I didn't notice it and some names were not put in the hat...I felt bad.

I no oneelse tkaes t reigns I can do it again..but only as a last resort....

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 5:58 pm

I'll join Round IV when it comes around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 6:08 pm

Shiney wrote:
Actually I boogered it up last time

I know you did but I was trying to make you feel better lol!

ahh go on shiney, you'll check the second page this time I bet !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 6:50 pm

Yup...as I said, I'm game for Round IV...

)+(
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 7:39 pm

lol, I'd be afraid of what you'd send, Stig!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 7:42 pm

Fear not...

I assure you, if you see anything marked "anthrax" in an envelope from me, it is probably John Bush era... ;)

)+(
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 9:03 pm

I mean musically! No A.C. or "let's bathe in babies' blood with the devil".

lol..I don't know how much of the truly wicked you listen to, but you do have a wicked sense of humor that might just spill over into a comp IV
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 10:50 pm

Stig-ster has always come off pretty opened minded to me. But I
am guessing his trade-mate will be getting some VERY underground
tracks! ha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2007 1:05 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Stig-ster has always come off pretty opened minded to me. But I
am guessing his trade-mate will be getting some VERY underground
tracks! ha

Damned straight, they will! :)

)+(
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2007 11:07 am

OK, I'm finally writing the review of ScotMitchell's compilation!!

1. MORTIFICATION - Razorback

The only Mortification thing I've heard till this was The Silver
Cord ... so this was a VERY NICE surprise!!! Especially as it is from
their latest album - killer song in a early 90s death metal vein!

2. ELVENKING - The Wanderer

Italian folk power metal band. I have heard their first album
Heathenreel few years ago so I knew what to expect here, and it is
pretty similar to it (although this one is from their latest album).
Solid melodic metal!

3. AXEL RUDI PELL - Fly to the Moon

Now this is a name that I'm familiar with for almost 10 years now
and yet this is the first Axel song that I've heard!! How to say, I was
expecting this to be more "hard-rock-ish", due to all his "Ballads"
albums, but it turned out as a GREAT modern power metal song! One of
the best from the compilation!

4. ROB ROCK - Slayer of Souls

Another one that I've heard a lot off, but yet it was my first
exposure to it. I remember Rob doing a great job on "The Code of Life"
by Warrior and he does the same here! Very cool power metal song!

5. ASTRAL DOORS - Cloudbreaker

Again, a band that I had heard of in the past, but haven't heard the
actual thing yet, until now. Again, a very solid heavy / power song
with great vocals!! (Is this Dio singing or is it just a guy with a
voice just like him?!)

6. FIREBALL MINISTRY - Flatline

OK, this is four in a row now, yet another "familiar" band that I'm
hearing for the first now! This one sounds like Ozzy Sabbath era with a
modern touch - maybe a bit too modern, but still a nice song!

7. NEVERMORE - The River Dragon Has Come

Finally a band and a song that I've heard before Smile. One of Nevermore's finest!

8. BRIDE - Evil Dreams

I must admit that I'm really lost when it comes to a Christian metal
scene - I know some of the more known thrash bands and that's about it.
So, this was another band that I knew only through sites like NLTM.
However, this one didn't do much for me, it's OK, but
that's bout it, sorry! Smile

9. BRAINSTORM - Lifeline

I'm familiar with their early stuff (up to 2000), but I kinda lost
contact with this band in the past years. Cool to hear that they're
still doing good music - gotta check their early material now haha! Smile

10. FIGHT - Into the Pit

My first exposure to Fight, but the song sounded so familiar Smile
Well, I've heard it on "Live Insurrection", but it's even more deadly
as a studio version! I've heard that Rob was very fascinated by Pantera
at that time, but that's not really in a Pantera vein, if you ask me Smile

11. VENGEANCE RISING - Cut into Pieces

A song / band that I was familiar with before. However, I never
understood why exactly VR got the most attention in the Christian metal
scene, since there were certainly better bands. A decent song with
hysterical vocals Smile

12. KORPIKLAANI - Happy Little Boozer

Haha Smile A band that is pretty famous in our metal scene, I think
that they play here each year. A very funny folk (?) song with
harmonica in it and a very nice listen, but I doubt that I'd be able to
listen to the entire album at once Smile

13. TOURNIQUET - Ark of Suffering

Contrary to Vengeance, Tourniquet are probably my favorite Christian
band! A song from their (musically) best album, if you ask me - Stop
the Bleeding! One of the highlights (on StB and on this comp)!

14. IMPELLITTERI - Fly Away

Ahh, another "heard of" band here Smile This is Rob Rock behind the
mix, if I'm not mistaken! A monster chorus and overall a great track!!

15. IRON FIRE - Iron Head

OK, and here comes first of two bands here that I've never even
heard of before! Smile Good song, and the vocals sound very familiar (I
did a little research and I saw that they have the same vocalist as
Force of Evil, but oddly, the vocals remind me on some other band Smile ).

16. MORTIFICATION - Butchered Mutilation

Apparently song from the early Mortification era, but it's inferior
to "Razorback"! Smile This one sounds like a typical average death metal
song from 1994 or so Smile

17. STEEL DRAGON - We All Die Young

Among with Iron Fire, this was the band that I knew absolutely
nothing - at least I thought so! So, the song is from that movie which
was supposed to be a Judas Priest movie - Rock Star! Solid hard
rock/heavy metal ballad here - is this a real band or was it just a
movie project?

18. ENSIFERUM - Iron

A band that is given a lot hype recently, although I never really
got into them. Not my style probably, - hmm, some kind of melodic death
metal maybe? Well, certainly better than bands like Children of Bodom,
and same as with Korpiklaani - a cool listen (for me at least Smile ) for
1 or 2 tracks instead, but I couldn't do the entire album. Smile

19. PRIMAL FEAR - Light Years from Home

One of my favorite Primal Fear tracks - enough said! Smile

Overall, a very well and very diverse compilation, thanks SM74!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2007 11:52 am

Very Happy I'm just glad you finally got it! Isn't it funny how sometimes mail gets to us in 2-3 days and other times it's 2-3 weeks?!!?

That Astral Doors singer is also the Wuthering Heights singer. He does sound a lot like Dio, which is why I like it so much. I don't mind the Dio-worship since he's not an exact clone and he does it so well...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2007 12:07 pm

Looks and sounds like a great compilation!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Quote :

movie project?

I believe this was done strictly for the movie. It was the singer from Steelheart (Mike something), Zakk Wyld guitar, and Jeff Pilson (Dokken/bass). I'm not sure about the drummer. Might have been Jason Bonham from the movie. They did a few songs for the soundtrack of "Rock Star"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 12:34 am

Sorry it's taken so long to get this review in. I've been so busy with my regular reviews I haven't had time to finish this. Plus, Shiney wasn't cheap with the material, so I had a lot to write. Haha. He sent me a disc of rock/metal tunes (80s, sleaze, glam, etc.), and he named it Songs You Can Finger My Poo Hole To, which I thought was odd. Anyway, here goes:

1. CHYLD - TRAVELER

Not a big fan of this song. It sounds really weak with its thin guitar tones and whiny vocalist, and then it's just kind of goofy and way too upbeat during the verses. It lacks balls. And I don't find the hook to be there, really. It's not a terrible song, but I don't think it's very good.

2. DAMN CHEETAH – IF U LIKE WHAT U SEE

This one is better. It starts off with a standard drum beat—which reminds me of Cinderella's "Shake Me." I just recently reviewed an album by a band called Overloaded, and I'd swear that singer is the same one here. Is this vocalist's name Chris Gillen? They sound identical—like a cross between Todd Lewis of the Toadies and Sammy Hagar. Anyway, this song has a nice groove and a killer chorus. The perfect formula for me! Great song.

3. SOLDIER – WHERE HAVE THE CHILDREN GONE

This song is a classy, uptempo rock ballad. I really love this song. Like most of the bands on this CD, I've never heard of Soldier before, so this gives me yet another band to look for (donations welcome!). Anyway, great song, killer chorus.

4. GOAT – BENEATH THE SKIN

I hate this song. Haha. It's awkward and annoying. I know the band is trying to be funky, as the bass player is doing his best Fishbone, but the song flops like a wet titty. Terrible.

5. HOLY SOLDIER – VIRTUE & VICE

A brilliant song! Man, I really love this one. Again, never heard of the band, but I'm on the lookout now. This one has a great mid-paced 80s rock groove (reminds me of Babylon A.D. during the verses) and an amazingly catchy chorus. The vocalist has a great range, nailing some pretty decent upper range notes. Definitely a killer song!

6. IRON BOSS – HOT SHOE

Groovy, blues-based rock. Decent song. Nothing special, really. I wouldn't turn it off, but I probably wouldn't consciously turn it on, either. Middle of the road.

7. PURE RUBBISH – JOHNNY ATTITUDE

Too Poison-ish for my tastes. The riff total borrows from Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me" and the verse sounds like "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones. Not a terrible song; decent but kind of weak in the same way Poison is decent but kind of weak.

8. ROXANNE – OVER YOU

Finally! A band I've heard of. Haha. Roxanne is just one of a countless number of great, overlooked rock bands. This one is a typical 80s rock ballad, but it's a great one. Not their best song, but definitely an excellent tune.

9. SLEDGEHAMMER LEDGE – SALUTE THE TRASH

Another killer tune; it has that pounding "Rock You Like A Hurricane" drum vibe in the beginning, and some great fist-pumping gang vocals during the verses and chorus. I really, really, love this song. Once again a band I've never heard of. I gotta me some of this. Real catchy, this one is. It plays on my Def Leppard heartstrings. Haha.

10. BLAZ-ON – I WANT YOUR LOVE

I'm really digging this tune, as well (plus the CDR Shiney has sent me since). The main riff sounds like Motley Crue's "Too Young To Fall In Love." The vocalist has a raspy but strong voice, and it fits the music great. A nice chorus rounds things out, along with a nice solo.

11. THE REGIME – SPEED DEMON

A little more metal than most everything else on this CD; this is more like early Testament and Overkill. Shiney sent me two CDRs by The Regime as well, and they're both killer. It always amazes me that I could own over 6,000 CDs, have ridiculous knowledge of all eras of music (in the last 50 years or so, at least), and I really still know very little. There's just so much great music out there! Anyway, this is a killer song by a seemingly killer band! Awesome stuff.

12. DEAD END JANE – DIRTY MARY SUE

Dead End Jane kind of falls into the same category as Iron Boss: groovy, bluesy rock. Though this song is much better. The build up to the chorus sounds like they're gonna start singing the KISS classic "Rock And Roll All Nite," but they churn out their own decent chorus. I actually like this song.

13. BASHFUL – DOWN FOR THE COUNT

A decent song that is sort of ruined by the vocalist. He's not bad, really, but the music is very bass-heavy and the vocalist sings in a higher tone, so they don't seem to fit well together. The song is otherwise good, if not a little on the weak side.

14. COWBOY PROSTITUTES – JOY

Ah, the soundtrack to Brokeback Mountain. Uh…anyway, gay band name aside, this song is good. A little upbeat and happy, more AOR than 80s rock, but a solid song. I dig it. But that name is retarded.

15. HOSTAGE – STAY

I must have heard this song before, or I know a song very similar. I was nearly singing the song on first listen. Either way, it's not a particularly hard-hitting song, but it's catchy in a Beverly Hill 90210 soundtrack kind of way. Haha.

16. ROYAL TRAMPS – LOVE WON'T YA NEED IT?

A nice uptempo rock song, good chorus, but nothing mind-blowing. Just a good solid song. And no one is requesting this album on lala.com! Whoohoo! Is it me, or does that song title make no sense?

17. BAD LOVE – DEDICATION

Whoa! I almost added Brad Love to my lala Want List. That would have sucked. Haha. Anyway, decent enough song. Not a band I'd search high and low for, but definitely something I'd love to own. This is just a typical rock song, nice chorus, standard all the way around, but not bad.

18. HAIR THEATRE – SEX KILL

Another band trying to be mix rock with something a bit more funky. Not my thing. They sound a bit awkward, though I dig the harmonica and bass lines.

19. AGENTZ – STICK 2 YOUR GUNS

I know this band and song from Metal Mayhem Records. I still own nothing by them, but they're on my list. They have a little 80s synth pop sound to the drums, which I'm not sure if it'll work well over a whole album, but it works for this song. The vocalist is kind of…"warbly" with his vocals, but he's solid. A nice chorus punctuates things. Good tune.

Anyway, a nice compilation here. Lots of good stuff for me to look for now. Though 80s rock is my favorite genre, I didn't start listening to music until around 1987. Since I was around 12 years old then, I missed out on a lot of bands from that time. Of course, by the time I was working and able to feed my music addiction, my tastes were so broad that it's simply impossible that I'll ever make up for lost time unless I turn into a downloader or win the lottery. I personally hope it's the latter! Haha. I don't want to be a downloader! Dammit. Haha. But yeah, great compilation for the most part.

Thanks, Shiney!

Last edited by on Sat May 19, 2007 5:23 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 12:35 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

movie project?

I believe this was done strictly for the movie. It was the singer from Steelheart (Mike something), Zakk Wyld guitar, and Jeff Pilson (Dokken/bass). I'm not sure about the drummer. Might have been Jason Bonham from the movie. They did a few songs for the soundtrack of "Rock Star"
The song is actually on Steelheart's third album, Wait.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS   Comp.  Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp. Swap III: Share The Love - THE PAIRINGS
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3