Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your guiltiest musical pleasure

Go down 
+23
jettafiend
seconds2silence
Fat Freddy
metalinmyveins
stevegarveyfan
stepcousin
Hamer12
Schbopo
akeldama
XYZ
thejokeriv
manny
Trial by Fire
jstate
SAHB Healer
DallasBlack
EvyMetal
MetalRob331
rattpoison
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

Your guiltiest musical pleasure Empty
PostSubject: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:53 pm

Let's discuss our guilty pleasures when it comes to music......you know, the type of stuff a metal head wouldn't be caught dead listening to.

I have two.

The first is Toto. You know, that AOR group made up of a bunch of soft-rock studio musicians who decided to start a band. I own about five Toto albums, although my favorite is TOTO IV (that's the one with "Rosanna" and "Africa"). Some of their music is just so damn CATCHY. I absolutely DARE you to not sing "Africa" in your head after listening to it once.

But my second, and biggest guilty pleasure?

Journey.

No, not the early progressive fusion rock stuff. I'm talking the stuff with Steve Perry, Johnathan Cain, the whole 9 yards. I am such a Journey freak it's enough to make a man question his masculinity. I own every single Journey album that Steve Perry is involved in (including the soundtrack album they did for some Japanese movie). Escape is one of my favorite albums EVER. Songs like "Don't Stop Believin'", "Open Arms", "Faithfully", "Seperate Ways (Worlds Apart)" and "Stone in Love" make me scream in such girlish affection you'd think I was.....well, a girl. I even love that sappy Raised on Radio album (the one where the rythmn section jumped ship)!

I love Journey so much I even own both of Steve Perry's solo albums, PLUS his greatest hits package!

......I am so ashamed. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:54 pm

Believe it or not, we've done this one before. Smile

http://www.heartofmetal.net/heart-of-metal-f1/cheesy-pleasures-t2059.htm
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Kind of a long list.

Bruce Hornsby
Elton John (early)
Steely Dan
Sade

and one not-so-guilty pleasure but definitely not metal at all:

Blackmore's Night

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Your guiltiest musical pleasure Blackmoresnight

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:57 pm

BTW, that looks like a different topic to me. That was guilty METAL pleasures; this is guilty pleasures period.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:06 pm

The Jackson 5/ Early MJ
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:09 pm

Oh man Scott, you need go to into hiding!

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:13 pm

It's a guilty pleasure!! Full disclosure. I'm not scared!! Your guiltiest musical pleasure 505193
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:25 pm

I thought I was bad with the nasally vocals of Bruce Hornsby. But at least he plays a mean keyboard. MJ? Puh-leeze!

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:29 pm

tohostudios wrote:
BTW, that looks like a different topic to me. That was guilty METAL pleasures; this is guilty pleasures period.
Then it's in the wrong forum. lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Which one is in the wrong forum?

Non metal guilty pleasures would seem to me to belong in the non-metal forum. No?

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:47 pm

The Outfield
Mr. Mister
Shocked
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:53 pm

I don't really have guilty music pleasures, as in i'm not guilty about liking them.
But i guess people might turn their noses up at my Bay City Rollers, Monkees, Transvision Vamp, Cyndi Lauper, Gene Loves Jezebel, Psychedalic Furs records i own. But i don't care their 'my' bands.

Last edited by rattpoison on Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 12:00 am

The Four Seasons, Elvis, Journey w/Perry many more just too tired to think of them..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 12:36 am

Quote :
I don't really have guilty music pleasures, as in i'm not guilty about liking them.

I was waiting for SOMEONE to go MC666 on this thread.

And I agree. no Guilt. My mind is way open. I probably enjoy 95% of the worlds music. Anything that makes me feel something is cool. But I can't stand any modern country, very little hip-hop, and Guns n Roses/Ted Nugent should be wiped off the face of the earth. I wouldn't care if you replaced them with Sylvester and a Celtic polka band.

Last edited by SAXON1500 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 3:22 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
The Four Seasons, Elvis, Journey w/Perry many more just too tired to think of them..

What's so guilty about Journey?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 11:23 pm

Wouldn't say I feel guilty but I do listen to quite a lot of bands some metal heads would look at and say I'm not metal enough:

Toto
Chicago
Bryan Adams
Ah Ha
Journey
Elton John
Rod Stewart
(just about anything 80s/early 90s)
REO Speedwagon
Peter Cetera
Don Henley
Bruce Honrsby
Phil Collins
The Lost Dogs
The Choir
All Star United
O.C. Supertones
John Elefante
Johnny Horton
Gordon Lightfoot
Kenny Rogers
Billy Joel
latter Moody Blues

The list goes on and on...
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:19 am

I LISTEN TO A LOT OF JAZZ.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:21 am

The Michael Bolton s/t or Blackjack. But I collect everything 70's pomprock and AOR. I'm a sucker for synths.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 11:07 am

Mariah Carey's first album....seriously... Very Happy Amazing vocal work...before she went all "hip hop" sounding...
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:01 pm

To me guilty pleasure was always something that when your friends found it in your car you claimed it was your girlfriend's.

The two big ones for me were Roxette Look Sharp! and that Footloose soundtrack.

I always owned up to the Cyndi Lauper, Gene Loves Jezebel, and everything Transvision Vamp love. No guilt what so ever. The last one was easy since all I had to do with guys who hated it was show them the cover of the Tell That Girl To Shut Up 12 inch. That usually ended the argument.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Kind of a long list.

Bruce Hornsby
Elton John (early)
Steely Dan
Sade

and one not-so-guilty pleasure but definitely not metal at all:

Blackmore's Night

Oh yeah, here it is. For those who accuse me of being a metalhead only (I don't even like a lot of metal) just because I think Prince sucks, here's a partial list of my non-metal faves.

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 12:29 am

I love Sade, as well. I don't think there is a sexier voice on the planet!! She is the female version of Old Blue Eyes, back in his prime!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 7:56 am

And I'm listening to another one of my guilty pleasure bands today that I left off that list.

Sonia Dada

Best group vox out there IMO.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Trial by Fire

Number of posts : 271

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 am

I have quite a few bands that I seem to get a bit of flak for listening to, (some of which I would expect, others I can't seem to figure out why besides for what they're labelled and not based on the music) which include:

Korn, System of a Down, Mudvayne, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Thrice, At the Drive In, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Fall of Troy, The Human Abstract, 3, Coheed and Cambria, The Mars Volta, Muse, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Protest the Hero... and I'm sure there's some more as well.

Because of the criticism, I tend to have a guilty or embarassed feeling when people look at my collection but I'm certainly not ashamed of listening to these bands (not yet anyways).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your guiltiest musical pleasure   Your guiltiest musical pleasure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your guiltiest musical pleasure
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next