Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook

Go down 
+4
EvyMetal
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Empty
PostSubject: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 10:40 am

The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Book_pro_secrets
This is an awesome source for heavy music singing. While there are many hard rock instructional books for guitar, bass, and drum; and not to mention training videos (i.e. ones from Ted Kirkpatrick, Mike Portnoy, and John Petrucci) there is none specifically for vocals in the music we know and love. This is an excellent source for us vocalists wiht helpful hints from some of the best vocalists around. Here is a comprehensive list of the vocalists (the ones who have full interviews in red, those who only are mentioned once in green):

James LaBrie (Dream Theater)
Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
David Draiman (Disturbed)
Chuck Billy (Testament)
Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow, Deep Purple, Yngwie)
Grog Prebble (Die So Fluid)
Bruce Hall (Order Of The Illuminanti, Agent Steel)
Corey Brown (Magnitude 9)
Ralf Sheppers (Primal Fear)
Ray Alder (Fates Warning)
Joe Comeau (Annihilator)
Matt Barlow (Iced Earth)
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Rik Emmett (Triumph)
Tim "The Ripper" Owens
Wade Black (Seven Whitches)
John Bush (Armored Saint)
Jorn Lande
Timo Kotipelto (Stratovarius)
Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin (Jag Panzer)
Gregg Analla (Tribe Of Gypsies)
Sean Peck (Cage)
Jocaim Cans (Hammerfall)
Rob Rock
Kip Winger
Andy Franck (Brainstorm, Symphorce)
Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy)
Roy Kahn (Kamelot)
Ron Keel (Keel, Iron Horse)

From warming up, to taking care of you voice, to avoiding damaged vocals, to proper techinique, this book is a great deal of help from the pros themselves. Even if you already know you're a good singer this book will at least give you an insight into how other metal vocalists go about their doing things. I think I might have to take Barlow, Ripper, and LaBries advice to those who just don't have that wide of a range (all three believe you either have a range or you don't) and instead of focusing on what I can't do, put all the work in improving what I can do. It's not easy though because I tend to feel jealous of those who are blessed with more talent than me, but this is the voice God gave me and it's up to me to do the best I can with it. Still this book is very helpful for me (I believe I found a good warm up excersise courtesy of Chuck Billy).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 11:08 am

I remember years ago there was an ad in alot of the metal mags for vocal training by Jim Gillette of Nitro.It would be cool to shatter glass with your voice.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 11:17 am

thrasher73 wrote:
I remember years ago there was an ad in alot of the metal mags for vocal training by Jim Gillette of Nitro.It would be cool to shatter glass with your voice.

I remember those ads. They were right next to the "Metal Method" guitar-teaching tapes sold by some dude named Doug Marks. I used to wonder why, if Doug Marks was such a phenomenal guitarist, he wasn't in a hugely popular band and shreddin' on stages all over the world instead of selling instructional tapes in the back of "Hit Parader."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 4:07 pm

No Halford? Sad
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

I remember those ads. They were right next to the "Metal Method" guitar-teaching tapes sold by some dude named Doug Marks. I used to wonder why, if Doug Marks was such a phenomenal guitarist, he wasn't in a hugely popular band and shreddin' on stages all over the world instead of selling instructional tapes in the back of "Hit Parader."

Laughing very hard I always wondered that too.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 7:22 am

Sounds like an interesting book, actually. I might need to check it out at some point.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 7:45 am

THANK YOU!

- I have looked everywhere for a book like this - Do you know where I can order a copy?

Thanks, Bro!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 9:27 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
THANK YOU!

- I have looked everywhere for a book like this - Do you know where I can order a copy?

Thanks, Bro!

You could get a copy from Amazon. I believe I got my copy from Barnes & Noble, but that was almost 6 years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 11:02 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
THANK YOU!

Thanks, Bro!

You could get a copy from Amazon. I believe I got my copy from Barnes & Noble, but that was almost six years ago.

Cheers, bro 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 11:20 am

the sentinel wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Laughing very hard I always wondered that too.

Maybe the old saying is true: "Those that can't DO, teach." Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 12:10 pm

This was an interesting book.

I was shocked by how little the pros appear to practice (except for Harry Conkiln).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook   The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Hard Rock/Heay Metal Vocalists' Handbook
Page 1 of 1