Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....

Go down 
+10
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Stender
mc666
nevermore
exact33
krokus
ultmetal
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Empty
PostSubject: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 11:17 am

Funny thing...I'm in the process (and close to completing) of upgrading my Christian metal from cassette to cd. Just a few more to go!

However, I've been struck with this strange mood to downgrade to vinyl some much older material.

I recently started playing the few records I do have while in the garage lifting, cleaning, working, whatever...and I've enjoyed the experience. There's something about that vinyl sound that I'm digging. I think it's taking me back to my first music love in the late 70's early 80's. I'm sure nostalgia has a lot to do with this. My point is this - I find it ironic that CDs are what I struggle to obtain but now here I am buying old Dio, Iron Maiden, etc...records! I'm moving backwards!!

Anyone else been struck with this "backward" thinking lately? I'm not doing this as a collector. I otherwise don't have the titles I'm regaining. I want the music for the garage. It just strikes me as almost silly or absurd. How many records were just tossed or sold for pennies on the dollar years and years ago and now there's a rather large market and profitable industry for those who manage to have those records. It all comes around again, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 11:21 am

I've always preferred the sound of clean vinyl. For one thing, I'm a treble freak and i think vinyl delivers crisper highs.

But there's also an overall "warmth" that's just not there on CDs. Maybe it's nostalgia or something but there seems to be a "presence" to vinyl music.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 11:27 am

Yeah! "warmth" is almost the exact word I'm looking for. And for reasons I can't explain (but I bet someone else can) the riffs sound beefier. ???? surprised
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 1:07 pm

I've been doing that for the last couple years. Still love CDs, but
have also been collecting vinyl on some of my favorites bands.

ult

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Till 2005 i have been buying more vinyls then cd´s but since 2005 a lot more cd´s then vinyls. Strange but true.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:04 pm

Its too bad you said that now since I recently sold 1500 records on ebay... They were my father-in-law stuff but were mainly hard rock/80s metal bands.

I am in the process of selling all my christian death metal cds and tapes now. I dont really listen to them anymore and dont really forsee that i ever will. I could use the space in cd cabinet. Its not exactly the same thing but the urge to purge is strong Smile

Alex

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 4:55 pm

Most people consider it upgrading from vinyl to cd, but I am starting to upgrade my collection from cd to vinyl. There is just something about vinyl that I enjoy much more than cd. I almost never buy cds now, unless the album was never released on vinyl.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 5:49 pm

Vinyl does have a warmth that cds do not have. I've been picking up more stuff on vinyl lately as I find it and money allows.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 6:38 pm

i still buy vinyl alot.

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 8:16 pm

I'm too young to have ever had the privelege of listening to vinyl, but after you guys raved about how great it is I kind of makes me want to look into getting a record player. Man, I thought it was a trip to just a have an album on cassete.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 8:22 pm

I've got my eye one of those new record/cd players with UB cable hookup to make mp3s of records but my 30 Year old record player JUST.WON'T.DIE!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 8:29 pm

Quote :
I've got my eye one of those new record/cd players with UB cable hookup to make mp3s of records but my 30 Year old record player JUST.WON'T.DIE!

Hmmm...I didn't know such a thing existed. My turntable died about 5 years ago but I hung on to my 700+ vinyl collection. A lot of the stuff I have on vinyl is punk/new wave stuff from the 80s that will never see a CD release.

Guess I know where my tax refund is going...

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 8:32 pm

Here's one version I've been eyeing....but I'd prefer one (if it exists) that has CD and cassette as well....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ION-iTTUSB05-Turntable-Record-Player-iTT-USB-iTTUSB-LP_W0QQitemZ280198111503QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 8:38 pm

Grglglglslsllslsls...

That's me drooling over that thing!

I could finally get weird, obscure stuff like The Movies, The Tigers, The Primitons and Sue Saad and the Next off my vinyl and onto CD!

For $100? Guess I'm doing my taxes this week.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 9:31 am

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

Hmmm...I didn't know such a thing existed. My turntable died about 5 years ago but I hung on to my 700+ vinyl collection. A lot of the stuff I have on vinyl is punk/new wave stuff from the 80s that will never see a CD release.

Guess I know where my tax refund is going...

I got one of those for Christmas. This spring, when the weather warms up, I plan on hitting the local flea markets in search of some cool vinyl. My wife will probably divorce me. Laughing
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 9:50 am

Me too! The next big Flea Market is Feb 16-17. I'm excited about the prospects...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:17 am

That USB turntable is very tempting to me as well! I have about 100 records just collecting dust in the closet cuz my turntable no longer works, yet I cannot find it in my heart to just get rid of them... it would be nice to be able to transfer some of my old early metal purchases (and some of my weird bootleg stuff) to MP3s so I can hear them again!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:21 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
That USB turntable is very tempting to me as well! I have about 100 records just collecting dust in the closet cuz my turntable no longer works, yet I cannot find it in my heart to just get rid of them... it would be nice to be able to transfer some of my old early metal purchases (and some of my weird bootleg stuff) to MP3s so I can hear them again!!

Is it not just better to buy a new turntable??? The cool thing is the ritual to put the record on the turntable and look at the big record cover and get a hard one lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:24 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have about 100 records just collecting dust in the closet cuz my turntable no longer works

You can replace those Pointer Sister and Culture Club albums. They make them on CD now.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:26 am

krokus wrote:

Is it not just better to buy a new turntable??? The cool thing is the ritual to put the record on the turntable and look at the big record cover and get a hard one lol!

Yea, I suppose, but even if I bought a plain ol' new turntable, I would never have a chance to use it, as I rarely have time to myself anymore with a house full of kids/pets... if I got one of those USB versions, then I could transfer all those goodies to CD-R so I could listen to'em in the car and at work.

It's a moot point at the moment anyway, I can't afford one of those USB jobs and won't for a while... my tax refund is going towards paying off some bills and buying more diapers and baby food for the little guy. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:27 am

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I have about 100 records just collecting dust in the closet cuz my turntable no longer works

You can replace those Pointer Sister and Culture Club albums. They make them on CD now.

You LIE! Really? 🤘

Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 am

vibly is more exciting to listen to what with the sense of anticipation as you place the stylus into the groove

i have some real old worn anthrax albyums and the sound is so much rawer compared to the neutered remasters
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:53 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Me too! The next big Flea Market is Feb 16-17. I'm excited about the prospects...

Good place to pick up vinyl. I have a turn table and a tiny pre-amp that I can plug into my computer. I have made some MP3's (Van Halen 1, Ratt - OOTC, IOYP, Pink Floyd - The Wall). I do prefer CD's, but it is fun to toss on an LP every now and then. The biggest problem I have is that Vinyl sounds "fuzzy" for a lack of a better word. I know the Vinyl fans call it warmth. Now, some CD's were mastered poorly poorly and the vinyl sounds better, but that's the engineer's fault. You can't master a CD to the same specs as vinyl.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 2:58 am

I sometimes suspect the vinyl thing is kind of a fetish. I've heard arguments both ways about the sound quality. It is a different sound though, the biggest thing I notice is the cymbals coming at you right through the needle as well as the speakers. But I think one needs a really high end turntable to get the full appreciation of the "organic" nature of vinyl I suspect. I've never had a great turntable. But there are a whole bunch of albums that have never made CD, so I'm stuck with the vinyl and this thread is making me feel good about it. I burned them all onto CDR, but tonight I think I'm inspired to "Play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" (Iggy Pop-"More").
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:22 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
krokus wrote:

Yea, I suppose, but even if I bought a plain ol' new turntable, I would never have a chance to use it, as I rarely have time to myself anymore with a house full of kids/pets... if I got one of those USB versions, then I could transfer all those goodies to CD-R so I could listen to'em in the car and at work.

It's a moot point at the moment anyway, I can't afford one of those USB jobs and won't for a while... my tax refund is going towards paying off some bills and buying more diapers and baby food for the little guy. Laughing

Ohhh, i understand Very Happy Very Happy . Take careeeeeee.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....   Downgrading my collection - a strange mood.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Downgrading my collection - a strange mood....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next