Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In the mood for some SOULFLY!

Go down 
+4
Required Fields
Troublezone
Lari
Gilbert
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Empty
PostSubject: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 5:10 pm

headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 11:22 pm

What are the top Soulfly albums you'd recommend?

I believe Prophecy should rank at the top of their catalogue?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 11:54 am

Quote :
In the mood for some Soulfly?
Yeah, safe to say this has never happened. 

They played at a festival I was at once. Definitely not my thing. They were almost like nu-metal
  In the mood for some SOULFLY!  288219
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 12:50 pm

Everything after the first three albums is good. “Prophecy” is decent, but it still has some of the nu-metal influence. I prefer Dark Ages, Enslaved and Ritual.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Lari wrote:
Quote :

They played at a festival I was at once. Definitely not my thing. They were almost like nu-metal

That depends on when you saw them.

The first two albums were nu-metal, as was a lot of the third. They have more of a groove metal/post-thrash sound on later albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 1:50 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Lari wrote:
Quote :

The first two albums were nu-metal, as was a lot of the third. They have more of a groove metal/post-thrash sound on later albums.

I agree. But there is also some Death Metal influence on Enslaved.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 2:59 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Lari wrote:
Quote :

Must have been during their nu-metal days then. It was anyway around the time nu-metal was still popular. I checked out their set because of Max Cavalera, but did not enjoy it. Some of my friends were into them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 4:04 pm

Not my thang, sorry

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 4:36 pm

I can't stand Soulfly either. Just happen to enjoy some tracks Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 6:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Not my thang, sorry

No jumping da fu** up for you? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 1:50 am

I practically lost interest in Max's post Chaos AD work, with the exception of a few tracks scattered here and there (Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy...).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 8:04 am

Gilbert wrote:
I practically lost interest in Max's post Chaos AD work, with the exception of a few tracks scattered here and there (Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy...).

The last Cavalera Conspiracy album is great! Full on thrash.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 11:00 am

Troublezone wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

The last Cavalera Conspiracy album is great! Full on thrash.

Will look it up. Last one i picked up was Pandemonium. Hard to keep up with Max. Constantly busy guy.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 11:48 am

Troublezone wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Not my thang, sorry

Nah, you crazy kids go ahead. I might break a hip. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Not my thang, sorry

Nah, you crazy kids go ahead. I might break a hip. Laughing very hard

Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 12:36 pm

Oh god, I had to look it up.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 7:20 pm

I would much rather talk to you, Gil, than listen to Soulfly. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 8:43 pm

the sentinel wrote:

Am i that awful? Sad
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 8:52 pm

Gilbert wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Am i that awful? Sad

Not at all. It was a compliment. I meant that I would rather enjoy my time talking about music with you than listen to music made by Soulfly. My apologies if that came out wrong.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 8:52 pm

Lari wrote:
Oh god, I had to look it up.

Yeah it's that bad.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 9:34 pm

I always use the same criterion when judging music I might or might not like. 

Can I whistle it?

In other words, is there a discernible melody.  That Soulfly track has a bit of a melody during the verse but that's it.  And the one at the top of the thread has zero melody to my ears.  Can't whistle either one.

I know that eliminates a lot of genres that are popular with metalheads (it's why I don't like most thrash, death or black metal) but that's my general gatekeeper  for stuff I might like.  It's sure not a concrete RULE though because, for reasons I can't actually explain, I like stuff like Ministry and Rage Against The Machine but for my personal tastes it's a good "rule of thumb".

And for me Soulfly fails to meet that rule.  Miserably.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39563

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 10:13 pm

In the mood for some SOULFLY!  2311802_0
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 10:53 pm

The first three Soulfly albums are nu-metal shit, but ever since guitarist Marc Rizzo joined, every album has been gradually adding more thrash and groove. Max’s son has been in the band a while and he has become a very good drummer. If you liked Arise and Chaos AD era Sepultura, you may like the latest album “Ritual”.

The only surprise this time is the soft yacht rock instrumental song at the end. But I like that stuff!  

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the mood for some SOULFLY!    In the mood for some SOULFLY!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In the mood for some SOULFLY!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: