Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Comic Book Thread

Go down 
+29
mlotek
bassman
holydiver97595
FlyingV
Metal Misfit
AchrisK
troublemagnet
Orion Crystal Ice
Rex
sheets
Addy
exact33
DeathCult
Svengo
arttieTHE1manparty
metalinmyveins
sam
manny
the sentinel
Stender
Shiney
scottmitchell74
EvyMetal
mc666
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 am

troublemagnet wrote:
He'll be back. I can't believe people are still falling for this tripe. I know a few comic book store owners and even they can't believe people are psyched for this-this issue won't be worth crap, much like Superman#75

BTW, did you know comic books were created by zionist jews to lower the children's morals and...... The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 84826

I wouldn't say I'm "falling for this tripe" per say. I haven't purchased a comic book in years, let alone a Fantastic Four comic. Never been much of a fan of theirs. But I'm always facinated with death, comics or otherwise. And yea, I know that noone every stays "dead" in comic books. By my calculations, Peter Parker's Aunt May should be about 163 old by now and she's just as spry as ever.

Quote :
Killing off Chewbacca pissed alot of fans off too

Didn't know that one. Poor Chewie.

Have they resurrected Steve Rogers, aka Captain America yet? He was the last "big name" to buy the farm.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 am

When did they kill off Chewbacca? Man, I'm outta the loop.

troublemagnet wrote:
this issue won't be worth crap, much like Superman#75

Superman #75 was probably the last "event" comic I bought before I retired from collecting. I read Superman every month anyway so it was simply part of my usual pick-ups. I remember that my comic shop had literally thousands of copies of the damn thing and people were buyin' dozens of'em at a time, like they thought they were gonna be worth millions in a few years.

The issue came sealed in a black plastic bag with a bleeding "S" logo and included a "Daily Planet" tearsheet of Superman's obituary, a black "S" armband and some other bonus junk. Not that the kids who were buying it to get rich would know, cuz of course they never even opened the baggie. I just ripped the damn thing open right there in the store as soon as I paid for it and started looking thru the goodies like "cool," much to the amazement of the other geeks who figured I was gonna take it home unopened and sit on it for twenty years like they were planning to do.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Update...looks like the newest member of the Fantastic Four, taking the place of the late Human Torch, is... Spider-Man!!
The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Fantastic-four-spiderman_300
As you can see by the above pic, this lineup shuffle has resulted in spiffy new uniforms for the group, as well as a name change. Henceforth they shall be known as "The Future Foundation." Uhhh, yeah, that's catchy... not.

(From EW.com)
Spider-Man joins the Fantastic Four, gets new white costume:
Shameless marketing ploy or shameless marketing ploy that we might actually enjoy?
by Darren Franich
Categories: Comic Books

Last month, Marvel killed off the Human Torch. Now, they’ve found his replacement, an unknown up-and-comer with a decidedly unmemorable name: Spider-Man. That’s right, Marvel’s number one superhero is joining Marvel’s oldest superhero team, according to the Associated Press. The twist is that the Fantastic Four are getting a new name — the Future Foundation, which really rolls of the tongue — and new costumes. Now, I have a terrible guilty addiction to new superhero costumes, and I kind of dig the bold choice to make the costumes monochromatic. (Also, yahoo for hexagons!) But there’s no denying that the new FF look like a misfit gang of stormtroopers. Which brings up the big question: Is the Future Foundation just a shameless marketing ploy doomed to certain failure, or is it a shameless marketing ploy doomed to certain failure that we’ll nevertheless remember fondly decades from now? Cynics can point out that Spider-Man will now be a member of two hallmark superhero teams — he’s also been on the Avengers for the last few years. (If they plug the character into a splinter group of the X-Men, it’ll be a hat trick!) It’s difficult to properly imagine how Peter Parker can maintain a hectic enough solo career to justify the thrice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man comic book, freelance with two separate superhero teams, and also presumably sleep at some point. I mean, is he Peter Parker or James Franco?

Comic book history is full of shameless marketing ploys, and even if the Future Foundation seems silly now, it’s really no sillier than the last time Spidey joined the FF: the brief, shining era of the New Fantastic Four. The cast then was Spidey, Wolverine, Hulk, and Ghost Rider, and to a young lad like me in the first bloom of discovering comics, there were literally no heroes who seemed cooler. And mind you, we’re talking Gray Hulk — who’s so cool, he makes Green Hulk look like She-Hulk — and Wolverine-Wearing-Normal-Clothes (a.k.a. “Barfly-Wolverine”). If the New FF featured Spider-Man in a black costume, my head would have exploded. (Seriously guys, it was the best trading card ever.)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 pm

All white uniforms. Perfect for stealth activities. "The Future Foundation"? Sounds like a bad WCW tag team. Never was much of a FF fan, although Dr. Doom was always my favorite villain.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
All white uniforms. Perfect for stealth activities.

If they added some neon blue to those uniforms, they'd look like characters from "TRON" Laughing

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 pm

They look sorta Stormtrooper-ish to me.

And is it me or does Sue appear to be getting younger? She looks more like Reed's granddaughter than wife.

EDIT: Didn't catch this at first glance...damn my poor reading skills!

Quote :
But there’s no denying that the new FF look like a misfit gang of stormtroopers.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Yep...or Tron guy. Smile

The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Tron_guy-thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
They look sorta Stormtrooper-ish to me.

And is it me or does Sue appear to be getting younger? She looks more like Reed's granddaughter than wife.

You should be more concerned that Reed looks like Obama.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:50 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

You should be more concerned that Reed looks like Obama.

I thought he looked more like The Rock. Laughing

SpectreFate wrote:
Yep...or Tron guy.

Laughing very hard You just know that this guy got his ass kicked on a regular basis when he was a kid.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:51 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Yep...or Tron guy. Smile

Will you stop posting my photo. It was a one time experimental thing I tried, ok?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 am

Legendary comics artist Gene Colan, best known for his long associations with Daredevil, Iron Man, Howard the Duck, and Tomb of Dracula, has passed away at age 84. Sad

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/24/legendary-comic-book-artist-gene-colan-has-died/

The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 IrMSubM1

Gene's work was well represented in my old comic collection, he was truly one of the greats. R.I.P. Gene.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39580

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:26 am

Oh,that's sad to hear. Another legend gone. For me, he'll always be remembered for his work in Tomb Of Dracula. The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 163436
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:39 am

007 wrote:
Oh,that's sad to hear. Another legend gone. For me, he'll always be remembered for his work in Tomb Of Dracula. The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 163436

I remember that comic book, Marv Wolfman ( I think that his name) worked on this comic book before he moved on to DC and The New Teen Titans.

I never knew the artist name but he had very unique style, he also worked with Wolfman on the short lived DC series Night Forces.

OK I have exposed enough of my geekiness for one day.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Quote :
Tomb Of Dracula

One of my favorites. RIP
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Didn't recognize the name, but I know his work. Farewell.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 9:59 am

Saw this blurb in today's paper and thought it was interesting....

Marvel Wins Ruling on Superheroes
A New York judge has ruled that Marvel Worldwide Inc. owns the copyrights to more than a dozen superheroes, including Spider-Man, the X-Men, and Iron Man, rejecting the claims of a legendary artitst's estate.
Judge Colleen McMahon ruled in favor of the company on Thursday. Marvel had sought to invalidate 45 notices sent by the heirs of artist Jack Kirby to try and terminate Marvel's copyrights, effective on dates ranging from 2014 to 2019.
The famed artist died in 1994.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 am

It's a shame how allot of those artists from the "Golden Age" got screwed outta royalties and such for all those years.

"...and I was thinking how the world shoulda cried
on the day Jack Kirby died"

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Got the latest Green Lantern GN last night.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Here's a rather bizarre story I read in today's paper... a sexual harassment suit (!) in the hallways of Archie Comics Inc., of all places!!

ARCHIE COMICS Co-CEO ACCUSES COMPANY OF SMEAR CAMPAIGN
Archie Comics Co-CEO Nancy Silberkleit claims the company’s lawsuit against her is merely “a thinly veneered attempt to smear my name and gain complete corporate control” for her counterpart Jon Goldwater.

The lawsuit, filed early last month, accuses Silberkleit of bullying and sexually harassing employees, and sought to bar her from the publisher’s Mamaroneck, N.Y., headquarters and from representing the company at Comic-Con International. A judge allowed her to return to work and attend the San Diego convention, but she’s not permitted to talk to vendors.

According to Archie, Silberklet’s “offensive” behavior dates back to 2009, when she stepped into the co-CEO role following the death of her husband Michael Silberkleit, son of co-founder Louis Silberkleit. In one incident, she allegedly interrupted a meeting and pointed to each of the four men in the room, shouting “PENIS, PENIS, PENIS, PENIS.” In another, she reportedly complained that her “balls hurt.” Another employee asserts he heard Silberkleit say, “All you penises think you can run me out.”

The company contends it hired an outside firm to investigate employee allegations of Silberkleit’s actions, and was advised to cut ties with her.

However, The Journal News reports that Silberkleit denies the allegations and claims that Goldwater, son of Archie Comics co-founder John L. Goldwater, is a chauvinist who’s attempting to drive her out of the company.

“He has called me ‘stupid,’ a ‘moron,’ and ‘despicable,’” the former art teacher said in an affidavit filed last week. “In the presence of others he has told me to ‘shut up’ and ‘why can’t you be sweet, nice and quiet like a lady?’ ”

She accuses Goldwater of making corporate decisions without her, canceling a children’s literacy tour without telling her, and turning employees against her. “Mr. Goldwater long ago and repeatedly has told some employees and also people within the industry that he would get rid of me one way or the other,” Silberkleit wrote.

Her attorney has filed a motion to dismiss the company’s lawsuit. A hearing is set for Aug. 16 in New York Supreme Court in Manhattan

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 am

Brit actor seen in the Superman costume:

The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Henry-cavill-man-of-steel-superman-suit-large
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Manny, hope this one turns out better than the last one.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 5:07 pm

GrandNational wrote:

Same here, I did not hate the last Superman movie but felt it could have been so much better, I felt the actress who they chose to play Lois Lane was weak in Superman Returns
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 8:23 pm

manny wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

Same here, I did not hate the last Superman movie but felt it could have been so much better, I felt the actress who they chose to play Lois Lane was weak in Superman Returns

The only thing I remember about that movie was the airplane scene. It was pretty forgettable.

I just saw Captain America. Not bad, a bit long, but one of the better comic adoptions on screen.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:18 pm

"Superman Returns" started out great but fell apart at the halfway point when they suddenly decided that it had to be dark 'n' grim 'n' gritty like every other modern superhero flick.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 8:33 am

Great Caesar's Ghost! A copy of Action Comics #1 just sold at auction for over $2 million, which is a new record.

http://news.yahoo.com/action-comics-1-sells-2-16-million-auction-010326975.html

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Comic Book Thread
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next