Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Comic Book Thread

Go down 
+29
mlotek
bassman
holydiver97595
FlyingV
Metal Misfit
AchrisK
troublemagnet
Orion Crystal Ice
Rex
sheets
Addy
exact33
DeathCult
Svengo
arttieTHE1manparty
metalinmyveins
sam
manny
the sentinel
Stender
Shiney
scottmitchell74
EvyMetal
mc666
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 1:51 pm

The interesting thing about the Atlas comics is how mean-spirited they were compared to Marvel and DC's output of the time. Unfortunately, that kind of cruelty is par for the course in mainstream comics today and I doubt the new Atlas books will have the top level talent they had back in the 70s. It will be very hard for them to stand out once the initial wave of nostalgia passes.
Back to top Go down
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 9:15 pm

I began collecting again last year after a very long hiatus. In spite of the prices I read the following on a regular basis:

Captain America
Flash
Green Lantern Corps
Superman
Batman
Hulk
Iron Man
Daredevil

I used to read the following comics back in the day:
Sgt.Rock
Micronauts
Avengers
Defenders
Punisher
The Invaders
Ghost Rider
Justice League
Fantastic Four
G.I. Combat
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:30 am

Currently reading "Batman/Superman: Supergirl" graphic novel.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:43 am

Just read in today's paper that Marvel Comics legend and Lord of all Geeks Stan Lee is 88 years old today!! Happy birthday Stan "The Man!" Excelsior!!

The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Stan-lee-300x200

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 9:01 am

Finished reading Green Lantern "Secret Origin" yesterday. Awesome stuff and is probably going to be what the new movie is based on.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:21 am

Anyone read (or care) that Marvel is going to kill off one of the members of the Fantastic Four? If it worked for Superman and Captain America, why not give that dead horse a few more hits, right?

If you're a follower of the comic book, they've been dropping hints in the last few issues as to who is going to buy the farm, but the big finale is coming this month.

I suppose this is sort of a big deal in the comic book world, but really, does anyone ever stay dead in the comics?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:24 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Anyone read (or care) that Marvel is going to kill off one of the members of the Fantastic Four?

Yeah, I heard about it. Never been much of an F4 fan (and even if I was, my comic book days are far behind me) but I hope it's Reed Richards. I always hated that hyper-intellectual pr*ck. Laughing

Quote :
I suppose this is sort of a big deal in the comic book world, but really, does anyone ever stay dead in the comics?

Nah. A year from now they'll bring whoever it is "back" from the dead and reveal that the "member" who died was actually a clone constructed by the Skrulls or some such nonsense.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:04 pm

I still collect and read two comics:
Spectacular Spiderman
Grendel

I love Grendel, probably more than food, and almost as much as sleep.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:40 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Anyone read (or care) that Marvel is going to kill off one of the members of the Fantastic Four? If it worked for Superman and Captain America, why not give that dead horse a few more hits, right?

If you're a follower of the comic book, they've been dropping hints in the last few issues as to who is going to buy the farm, but the big finale is coming this month.

From what I'm reading most folks are betting on the Invisible Woman's death.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 am

Is she suffering some disease and slowly dying or is it gonna be an instant out-of-the-blue death?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 2:50 pm

From one blog I read it seems that her marriage with Reed is very strained at the moment and Namor the Submariner and her have some kind of strange vibe going on (I remember that from the ollllllllld days, it must still be strong or have gotten stronger or something). And if you think about it, if something goofy happens to her that makes it look like Namor had something to do with it it would set Reed Richards off against Atlantis, and vice versa with Namor railing against what's left of the FF.

Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Found the link I read
http://www.ifanboy.com/content/articles/Who_Dies_In_Fantastic_Four__586__Official_Odds_
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 5:37 pm

I never really got into comics in a big way, I really liked one called THE WARLORD which had a lot of shooting and hot scantily clad chicks and swords and dinosaurs. Kind of silly now that I think about it, but I was 10 or 11 at the time.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Warlord was one of the best comics of the 70s. They revived it a couple of years ago with the original artist but comic fans today don't want shooting, hot scantily clad chicks, and swords and dinosaurs anymore Smile
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 am

The verdict is in........the Human Torch is the one who bites the dust. Sad
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:25 am

Rex wrote:
The verdict is in........the Human Torch is the one who bites the dust. Sad

Fare thee well, Johnny Storm.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 am

Eh, he was a cocky jerk anyway! Razz

So has it happened yet? Was it a long-drawn out process or did he go quickly?

EDIT:
Spoiler:

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Hmmm....does this leave an opening for the return of H.E.R.B.I.E. the robot to the Fantastic Four team?

The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Bengrimm1003

Does anybody else remember him from the late '70s cartoon show? Rumor had it at the time that they replaced the Torch in the cartoon show cuz they were afraid kids would try to copy him and set themselves on fire. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Yep , also the reason Firestar was created for Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. The original trio was to be Spidey,Ice Man, and the Human Torch. Did people really believe kids would try to light themselves on fire because of the Torch ? Utter ridiculousness!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Just for gits and shiggles I looked up "H.E.R.B.I.E." on Wiki -- it sez the reason the Torch wasn't in the cartoon show was cuz at the time he was being optioned for a separate movie project with a different studio, but it never materialized, and that the "fear of kids setting themselves on fire" story is just urban legend.

I wonder if there still isn't a hint of truth in it though. Back then parents were afraid of their kids falling out of windows trying to be Superman so it's not much of a stretch to think that they were erring on the side of caution.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:41 pm

There's probably a hint of truth to the "setting themselves on fire" bit, but don't forget too, this was the late 70's/early 80's, so Star Wars and R2D2 were still riding high in everyone's mind.

I'm sure tv execs wanted to throw in a "cute robot" that could be marketed when-ever and where-ever possible. Not to mention, he was easier to animate than the Human Torch.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
There's probably a hint of truth to the "setting themselves on fire" bit, but don't forget too, this was the late 70's/early 80's, so Star Wars and R2D2 were still riding high in everyone's mind.

I'm sure tv execs wanted to throw in a "cute robot" that could be marketed when-ever and where-ever possible. Not to mention, he was easier to animate than the Human Torch.

Good points, both of 'em.

Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:34 pm

He'll be back. I can't believe people are still falling for this tripe. I know a few comic book store owners and even they can't believe people are psyched for this-this issue won't be worth crap, much like Superman#75

BTW, did you know comic books were created by zionist jews to lower the children's morals and...... just kidding
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:23 pm

troublemagnet wrote:
He'll be back. I can't believe people are still falling for this tripe. I know a few comic book store owners and even they can't believe people are psyched for this-this issue won't be worth crap, much like Superman#75

BTW, did you know comic books were created by zionist jews to lower the children's morals and...... just kidding

why?
because comics have always portrayed arabs as terrorists ?
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Personally I think its a bad move for them to off Johnny Storm

It didnt work for Superman it did for a bit but they brought him back

Killing off Chewbacca pissed alot of fans off too

Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Comic Book Thread
Page 10 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next