Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Comic Book Thread

Go down 
+29
mlotek
bassman
holydiver97595
FlyingV
Metal Misfit
AchrisK
troublemagnet
Orion Crystal Ice
Rex
sheets
Addy
exact33
DeathCult
Svengo
arttieTHE1manparty
metalinmyveins
sam
manny
the sentinel
Stender
Shiney
scottmitchell74
EvyMetal
mc666
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Another comic art legend has passed away... John Severin, best known for his many years at "Cracked" magazine and many war and western comics, was 90 years old.

[url=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-severin-stan-lee-mad-comics-artist-dies-290604
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-severin-stan-lee-mad-comics-artist-dies-290604[/quote[/url]]

Not sure I recognize the name, but I'm sure I've seen his work. Godspeed.

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Another comic art legend has passed away... John Severin, best known for his many years at "Cracked" magazine and many war and western comics, was 90 years old.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-severin-stan-lee-mad-comics-artist-dies-290604

Severin is one of the most underappreciated artists ever. The guy was absolutely brilliant, and unlike many artists, his skills at 90 were every bit as good as they were when he was a young man. Just amazing.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 2:06 pm

sheets wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-severin-stan-lee-mad-comics-artist-dies-290604

Severin is one of the most underappreciated artists ever. The guy was absolutely brilliant, and unlike many artists, his skills at 90 were every bit as good as they were when he was a young man. Just amazing.

I was first exposed to his work in "Cracked" magazine (a low-rent "MAD" ripoff that I read when I was a kid)... he used to do most of the front covers and almost all of the movie/TV parodies for that mag and even in those, I was amazed at the amount of detail and realism that he put into his stuff. Since it was supposed to be a goofy humor mag, you'd expect the art to be kinda half-assed but his stuff wasn't. He was classier than that mag deserved!!!

That would've been the early 80s and at that time I had no idea that he'd been a major playa in the EC Comics of the 50s and at Marvel in the early '60s.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I'm beginning to think I should have honed my artistic skills more and tried being a comic book artist. They seem to live nice long lives. I actually had a few old Hulk's with his artwork.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:32 pm

I went to a comic book show last weekend and got the entire Wynonna Earp series for $1. I also got 3 more vampirella Graphic Novels for $4 each.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 am

Bummer news... comics legend Joe Kubert, best known for his work on DC's "Sgt. Rock" as well as "Tarzan" and "Hawkman," has passed away at the age of 85. R.I.P. to one of the greats!

The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Joekubertdcheroes

The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Kubertsgtrock

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/172201-comic-book-legend-joe-kubert-dead-at-85

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 am

Sad news indeed. He was a great artist !

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 am

007 wrote:

R.I.P.

I loved the war comics he did (Sgt. Rock, Enemy Ace, the Haunted Tank, etc.) when I was a kid.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
007 wrote:

R.I.P.

I loved the war comics he did (Sgt. Rock, Enemy Ace, the Haunted Tank, etc.) when I was a kid.

DC had some great (and in some case off the wall) war comic back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 am

007 wrote:

DC had some great (and in some case off the wall) war comic back in the day.

I used to love their "Weird War Tales" series, there was some crazy sheeeit in that book. Nazi werewolves, ghost soldiers, Creature commandos...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:51 am

Not sure I recognize the name, but I'm sure I've seen his work. I think I had a few Sgt. Rocks in my collection.

Fare thee well, old timer.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:58 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
007 wrote:

R.I.P.

I did too especially loved Sgt Rock and the Unknown Solider, he had unique style, and was interesting that Sgt Rock remained in publication for almost 40 years
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 12:50 pm

A rare artist who actually kept getting better as he aged.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:06 pm

Sheets, your comment got me thinking....about some art theory in general.

I can't think of an artist that continues to be diligent that doesn't get better with age. Illustration....art for that matter, is a natural talent but takes constant practice. Obviously we're talking about REAL artists...not your run-of-the-mill graphic designer/desktop publisher. Human anatomy is a very difficult subject to master. When I arrived at art school 20 years ago, I thought I was a good artist. I had really only ever drawn/painted hot rods, cars, dragsters and some "metal themed" stuff. I quickly realized the difficulty in drawing/illustrating architecture, products, people, portraits and anatomy. But as the months went on, and the repetitiveness of drawing anatomy over and over again, it became easier and my skill became better and better.

That's why I've always thought comic book artists are unbelievably talented, and probably the most invisible/underrated in the art world. So like I said, a good artist is rare, yes. But It's not rare for any artist to improve as they age. Likewise, you will decrease in ability if you stop painting/drawing.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:21 pm

I'll bow to your experience on this. I was mostly thinking of comics artists who seem to hit a peak and then get shaky when they hit advanced age, mostly because of health problems like declining eyesight. There's just something really amazing to me about guys like Kubert or John Severin, who were drawing comics in their mid-80s (or even 90s in Severin's case) and it's better than work they did in their supposed primes.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:30 pm

sheets wrote:
I'll bow to your experience on this. I was mostly thinking of comics artists who seem to hit a peak and then get shaky when they hit advanced age, mostly because of health problems like declining eyesight. There's just something really amazing to me about guys like Kubert or John Severin, who were drawing comics in their mid-80s (or even 90s in Severin's case) and it's better than work they did in their supposed primes.
I completely agree in the case of "extreme" age.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 am

I'm so proud. The other night my ten year old asked if he could borrow some of my old issues of "The Tick" to read before bed.
The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 250px-TICK_COMIC_CON_EXTRAVAGANZA_1
SPOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!

On a side note, I had no idea till recently that "Tick" creator Ben Edlund retired from comics in the mid 90s, went on to Hollywood and worked for Joss Whedon's Mutant Enemy Productions on "Angel" and "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" before he helped co-create the "Supernatural" TV series. Good on ya, Ben.

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Recently I bought alot of cool stuff...

Vampirella vs. Dracula #1 & #4
Pantha Vol.1 #1
Lady Death...#1
Wolverine..Blood Debt (graphic Novel)
Supergirl and the legion of superheros..Graphic Novel
Vampirella Master series Vol.4 and Vol.7 graphic Novels (this completes the whole series for me)
Queen Sonja Vol 1 graphic Novel
Shanna She-Devil Graphic Novel
The Action Bible New Testament Graphic Novel
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 11:56 am

Wasn't sure where else to post this one but if you scroll down to #3 on this list...

http://www.cracked.com/article_19458_the-5-most-badass-teams-famous-people-to-ever-join-forces.html

...You'll see that legendary comic book artist Jack "King" Kirby was involved in the storyboarding and concept art in the fake "Argo" movie. And a guy that created the make-up for 'Planet of the Apes'. F*ckin' A right they did!

I haven't seen 'Argo' yet, but does anyone know if this was referenced in the movie?

P.S. If you watch the embedded clip in the original article, around the :50 mark, you'll see more of Jack's work.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Wasn't sure where else to post this one but if you scroll down to #3 on this list...

http://www.cracked.com/article_19458_the-5-most-badass-teams-famous-people-to-ever-join-forces.html

...You'll see that legendary comic book artist Jack "King" Kirby was involved in the storyboarding and concept art in the fake "Argo" movie. And a guy that created the make-up for 'Planet of the Apes'. F*ckin' A right they did!

I haven't seen 'Argo' yet, but does anyone know if this was referenced in the movie?

P.S. If you watch the embedded clip in the original article, around the :50 mark, you'll see more of Jack's work.

From what I remember it is not and also you need to see it, excellent movie
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 pm

I plan on seeing it, just waiting for it to show up OnDemand.

I also Tivoed a 1-hour special on the Discovery channel about the real story. I want to watch that first before the movie and see how much of it matches up.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 2:10 pm

I haven't seen "Argo" yet either but I definitely want to.

I read about the Jack Kirby/"Argo" connection in an article about the movie a few months back, I can't remember where though ("Entertainment Weekly," perhaps? I dunno)... from what I understand, the work that went into creating that "fake film" they used as a cover story was very elaborate and went very deep - one guy in the article I read said that after it was all over, someone could've taken all of the "cover" material and used it to make a real movie if they really wanted to.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 2:17 pm

The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 83628

Legendary comic artist Neal Adams accidentally left two portfolios full of 30 years' worth of his artwork in an NYC taxi cab three weeks ago. He's appealing to NYC residents and geeks around the world to help him recover it.

http://screen.yahoo.com/legendary-artist-stop-nothing-missing-221800164.html

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2023 9:29 am

Sad news...John Romita. legendary Marvel Comics artist, has passed away at the age of 93. Probably best known for his long tenure on Spider-Man. R.I.P. and thanks for all the pleasant, joyful hours you gave me reading the comic books you've been drawing.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/john-romita-sr-marvel-death-scli-intl/index.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Comic Book Thread
Page 13 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13