Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Comic Book Thread

Go down 
+29
mlotek
bassman
holydiver97595
FlyingV
Metal Misfit
AchrisK
troublemagnet
Orion Crystal Ice
Rex
sheets
Addy
exact33
DeathCult
Svengo
arttieTHE1manparty
metalinmyveins
sam
manny
the sentinel
Stender
Shiney
scottmitchell74
EvyMetal
mc666
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:19 pm

STOP MOCKING ME YOU TWO!!! I WAS JOKING! lol! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37632

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:20 pm

T-Roy wrote:
STOP MOCKING ME YOU TWO!!! I WAS JOKING! lol! Laughing very hard

What do you have against Archie?? He's AMERICA'S FAVORITE TEENAGER!!

Which brings to mind a possible poll question: Who would you rather date, Betty or Veronica? Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 pm

hubba hubba Veronica!!! greedy
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Veronica was a hottie, no doubt, but I was always a Betty fan myself. She was so all American, apple pie and all that. Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:28 pm

How dare you reduce Betty down to "pie"!!!! queen
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:38 pm

T-Roy wrote:

Oh please. You just want Veronica cuz she's rich. She'd drop you like a hot rock as soon as Reggie called anyway. Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:43 pm

Which one has the black hair? That's the one for me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:49 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Which one has the black hair? That's the one for me.

That's Veronica, the rich chick. There must be something really special about her. I mean, Archie's been her doormat for over fifty years now and I don't think he's ever even gotten to second base. Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:52 pm

I don't think there is a second base in Archie land.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:52 pm

doublepost
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:54 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I don't think there is a second base in Archie land.

There was in a Archie strip my friend drew when we were in high school. He was a very gifted/twisted artist who had the Archie characters down pat, so he drew an X-rated Archie story one afternoon that pretty much scarred me for life. Second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth bases were ALL covered in that thing. I won't go into the gory details in case some of you folks have delicate constitutions.

For a reasonable facsimile, there's always the infamous "Cherry Poptart" series by Larry Welz...

Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

Oh please. You just want Veronica cuz she's rich. She'd drop you like a hot rock as soon as Reggie called anyway. Smile
But it'd be the single geatest 5 minutes of her life, I guarantee! headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:58 pm

Cherry Poptart. That's just dirty.

Deliciously dirty. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:59 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Cherry Poptart. That's just dirty.

Deliciously dirty. Twisted Evil

And it's drawn in a dead-on parody of the Archie style, which is what makes it doubly hilarious. Not for the kiddies (or the faint of heart) though!!

Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 4:48 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Oh, and in case my signature pic hasn't made it totally obvious by now, I loved Steve Gerber's "Howard The Duck" series for Marvel in the late 70s. Fantastic stuff. The movie was absolutely nothing like the comics and pretty much destroyed the character (even tho I loved the movie, and still do) The movie was glossy sci-fi goofiness, the comic was some of the best social satire ever. That pic, by the way, is of a real campaign button that Gerber was selling thru the mail during the 1976 election season, which tied into a storyline happening at the time in the comic, in which Howard ran for president.

I wish I knew something about Photoshop so I could change that "76" in there to "08"

lol!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 5:18 pm

The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 5632800

Doesn't get any better than that does it, FF? Smile

Yours for less than a dollar at Newkadia.com.

http://www.newkadia.com/?isu=2440%7C96
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 5:22 pm

BEEEUUUU-TEEEFUL!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 8:41 pm

I collected and read comics for many years, Marvel mostly, up till around the early 90's. Like many people I think, I got turned off by everyone trying to make a profit off the books instead of just reading them for enjoyment. I got fed up when the publisher started putting out all the gimmicky hologram covers and several different covers for the same issue. Also, storylines jumped from book to book. If you wanted to read Spiderman, you needed to buy 6 other titles just to follow the plot. I still have most of mine stashed away that someday I guess I'll pass 'em onto my kids and they can sell them on ebay and buy vintage cd's.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 pm

I collected comics for a few years back about 8 years ago or so. It was fun but expensive. My favorite character is The Punisher, so much so I have the logo tattooed on my forearm. My favorite artist is Alex Ross. His work is just so beautiful. Did anyone read the Marvel Zombies series? If you like Marvel characters and Zombies, you'll love this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 8:51 pm

spectrefate wrote:
The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 5632800

Doesn't get any better than that does it, FF? Smile

Yours for less than a dollar at Newkadia.com.

http://www.newkadia.com/?isu=2440%7C96

Yup ,I had that one!! I'm not sure, but I may still have that ish in my box of "keepers" up in the closet.

I also have two other oddball Marvel Team-Up issues that I will never get rid of: Spider Man and the Not Ready For Prime Time Players (from "Saturday Night Live," complete with John Belushi as the Samurai!), and Franklin Richards and Aunt May Vs. Galactus. I swear, I am not making either of those team-ups up. Smile

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Quote :
My favorite artist is Alex Ross

His work is incredible. Everytime I'm in Barnes & Noble, I pick up a book of his collected works with sketches and finished pieces. It's really a work of art. Incredible talent. Some day I'd like to buy the book instead of just flipping through it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 9:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I collected and read comics for many years, Marvel mostly, up till around the early 90's. Like many people I think, I got turned off by everyone trying to make a profit off the books instead of just reading them for enjoyment. I got fed up when the publisher started putting out all the gimmicky hologram covers and several different covers for the same issue. Also, storylines jumped from book to book. If you wanted to read Spiderman, you needed to buy 6 other titles just to follow the plot.

That's exactly why I bailed out back in the early 90s as well (aside from not having enough $$ to buy comics when I got a new car). I too was sick of all the stupid gimmick covers, trading cards, holograms, multiple covers for the same issues, yadda yadda yadda. For awhile there it seemed like the publishers were more interested in the fancy stuff they were wrapping AROUND the comic, rather than the comic itself.

The "Profit" geeks got on my nerves too. I vividly remember going to my comic store when the 30th anniversary issue of Amazing Spider-Man came out in 1993 (with, of course, a special hologram cover... SIGH...) I walked into the store and they had one whole section of the new-release rack filled to the gills with what must've been thousands of copies of that particular issue... and in front of those issues were four or five dudes who looked like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, all taking copies off the rack and holding them up to the light to make sure that there were no "staple stress marks," that the corners of the cover weren't "bumped," that the hologram wasn't scuffed, yadda yadda yadda... You just KNEW these guys were gonna buy all the "perfect" copies, take 'em all home and wrap'em in Mylar without ever reading'em, and sit on 'em for twenty years. I literally pushed my way through'em like "Get the hell outta my way you dorks," grabbed one random copy off the rack, and as I paid for it I said "Yea, and I'm gonna OPEN IT and READ IT too!" in their direction. (in my imagination I could picture them saying to one another after I left, "Read it? You mean, there's stuff INSIDE these things?")

Of course, when I tried to sell my collection inj the late 90s, early 00s, nearly everyone I dealt with looked and acted like those guys in the comic shop. OY...

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 5:33 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I collected and read comics for many years, Marvel mostly, up till around the early 90's. Like many people I think, I got turned off by everyone trying to make a profit off the books instead of just reading them for enjoyment. I got fed up when the publisher started putting out all the gimmicky hologram covers and several different covers for the same issue. Also, storylines jumped from book to book. If you wanted to read Spiderman, you needed to buy 6 other titles just to follow the plot.

That's exactly why I bailed out back in the early 90s as well (aside from not having enough $$ to buy comics when I got a new car). I too was sick of all the stupid gimmick covers, trading cards, holograms, multiple covers for the same issues, yadda yadda yadda. For awhile there it seemed like the publishers were more interested in the fancy stuff they were wrapping AROUND the comic, rather than the comic itself.

The "Profit" geeks got on my nerves too. I vividly remember going to my comic store when the 30th anniversary issue of Amazing Spider-Man came out in 1993 (with, of course, a special hologram cover... SIGH...) I walked into the store and they had one whole section of the new-release rack filled to the gills with what must've been thousands of copies of that particular issue... and in front of those issues were four or five dudes who looked like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, all taking copies off the rack and holding them up to the light to make sure that there were no "staple stress marks," that the corners of the cover weren't "bumped," that the hologram wasn't scuffed, yadda yadda yadda... You just KNEW these guys were gonna buy all the "perfect" copies, take 'em all home and wrap'em in Mylar without ever reading'em, and sit on 'em for twenty years. I literally pushed my way through'em like "Get the hell outta my way you dorks," grabbed one random copy off the rack, and as I paid for it I said "Yea, and I'm gonna OPEN IT and READ IT too!" in their direction. (in my imagination I could picture them saying to one another after I left, "Read it? You mean, there's stuff INSIDE these things?")

Of course, when I tried to sell my collection inj the late 90s, early 00s, nearly everyone I dealt with looked and acted like those guys in the comic shop. OY...

That's why I stopped collecting. I hated all the special covers,crossovers (buy these 15 unrelated titles to get the full story),and especially the Spider-Man clone storyline. He was one of my favorite characters and that storyline just killed it for me. I sold off a bunch of my collection about 2 years ago but still have about 6 boxes full of books just taking up space in my storage room in the basement.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 2:54 am

i have hundreds of Archie comics. some from the 60's still in pretty decent condition. i never took care of them like i should have, but i never abused or neglected them. i still buy one on occasion whenm the mood hits me.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Comic Book Thread
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next