Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Comic Book Thread

Go down 
+29
mlotek
bassman
holydiver97595
FlyingV
Metal Misfit
AchrisK
troublemagnet
Orion Crystal Ice
Rex
sheets
Addy
exact33
DeathCult
Svengo
arttieTHE1manparty
metalinmyveins
sam
manny
the sentinel
Stender
Shiney
scottmitchell74
EvyMetal
mc666
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 8:57 am

As awesome as that is, I think that 2 million could have gone to a better cause. BUT if someone has enough pocket change to shell that much out for a comic book, then perhaps they donate 10x's that much for things that actually matter....who knows.

It all just boils down to me being jealous I don't have that kind of money laying around. Razz
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 9:05 am

Rex wrote:

It all just boils down to me being jealous I don't have that kind of money laying around. Razz

Ditto. Very Happy

I may be a retired geek, but I still flip thru old comics when I find 'em at yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores, etc. -- in the (vain) hope that I may find a score like that. Action #1, Detective Comics #27, Amazing Fantasy #15, etc.

...hey, I can dream can't I? Razz

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 2:31 pm

I just picked up Avengers # 11 (featuring Spider-Man) from 1964 for a whopping buck. It was pretty ragged, but you'd think it was worth more than that!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Cognitive Dissonance wrote:
I just picked up Avengers # 11 (featuring Spider-Man) from 1964 for a whopping buck. It was pretty ragged, but you'd think it was worth more than that!

Is this the one?
The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 300px-Avengers_11

As a (retired) Spidey geek I would definitely call that a nice pickup!

I love 1960s Marvels. Their "Bullpen" catch phrases ("Face Front, True Believers!", "Nuff Said!", etc.) were so cool.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Yes that's it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Yes that's it.

Way cool. I found these two ancient issues of Daredevil in the cheap-o bin years ago. Like your Avengers ish, they were pretty raggedy but I grabbed'em cuz it was rare to find early Marvel stuff like that cheap, and besides, my boy Spidey was in'em so I had to have'em!

The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 16-5
The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 17-2

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Currently reading Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Yes that's it.

Way cool. I found these two ancient issues of Daredevil in the cheap-o bin years ago. Like your Avengers ish, they were pretty raggedy but I grabbed'em cuz it was rare to find early Marvel stuff like that cheap, and besides, my boy Spidey was in'em so I had to have'em!

The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 16-5
The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 17-2

spider man is one of my all-time favorites.

Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 7:13 am

Weren't these early Daredevils' John Romita's very first artwork on Spidey?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 10:22 am

Weren't these early Daredevils' John Romita's very first artwork on Spidey?

They very well may be. At that point in time, Steve Ditko was probably still the artist on Spidey's regular book.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 9:39 pm

I am itching to re-read the 'Secret Wars' set sometime soon..

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 11:46 am

Rex wrote:
The verdict is in........the Human Torch is the one who bites the dust. Sad

Aaaaaand he's back!! I don't know all the details of his miraculous ressurection, but I read in the paper the other day that the Human Torch has returned to the land of the living already.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Yep, at the end of issue #600 of Fantastic Four, he pops back on the scene. I've not read it, but I've seen that page and he's in a different costume with one of his arms looking kind of bionic/organic or something, and he has Ahnnilus (sp?) on a chained collar. Looks pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Rex wrote:
Yep, at the end of issue #600 of Fantastic Four, he pops back on the scene. I've not read it, but I've seen that page and he's in a different costume with one of his arms looking kind of bionic/organic or something, and he has Ahnnilus (sp?) on a chained collar. Looks pretty cool.

Doesn't seem like it was that long ago that they killed him off. Less than a year, judging by some of the comments here. Seems like they coulda drug it out a little longer before bringing him back. Eh, what do I know. Kids today and their short attention spans.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Yeah, that was the only thing I remember seeing people complain about....he came back to fast. Everyone knew he'd be back sooner or later, but nobody thought it be this fast. I think I remember reading an interview not that long ago with the writer, and he said something to the effect of it being Marvel's head hanchos to build up his death instead of his because he knew it'd be a quick return or something.

The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Tumblr_lv56ts4zoe1qerjm1o1_500
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Here's what I read:
Quote :
"Johnny's death and then resurrection in the Negative Zone was always part of my initial plan for the book. That's why when I heard talk about editorial mandates I chuckled, because it just wasn't the case with this at all. Even though I tried to write 'Fantastic Four' like it was the most important book in the world, I never believed that a bunch people would start buying it again," Hickman said. "I never imagined that Johnny dying would be as big a deal as it was or that it would get promoted that way, and I never thought we'd split the book and all that other stuff. Of course, I wanted it to be important, but at its core, it was just part of the larger, broader story I was telling."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35597
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Captain America co-creator and industry legend Joe Simon has passed away at 98 years of age.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35942

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Man that's too bad. He truly was one of the innovators. But 98? That's a great long life.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 9:32 am

Stan "The Man" Lee, architect of the Marvel Universe and overlord of all things Geek, is 89 years old today! Excelsior!!

The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 230px-Stantheman

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 10:21 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Stan "The Man" Lee, architect of the Marvel Universe and overlord of all things Geek, is 89 years old today! Excelsior!!

The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 230px-Stantheman

wow. He looks fantastic for 89! What a career he has had!

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 10:54 am

starting Web of Spiderman

Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 am

I read Fantastic Four #600 that we discussed a few posts above, and enjoyed it. Seems like Johnny Storm was killed over and over in some kind of arena type thing in the alternate dimension he was stuck in (killed and then put back together by some kind of worm things). If you look at the pic posted above you'll see a short glowing rod attached to his arm with the tree type thingy on it. That rod was the "cosmic rod" or something, I can't remember.....anyway, the dude he's holding on the dog chain and collar above had it and when he got it, it apparently made him ruler of that dimension or something. Obviously there's more to it than that, but that's the gist of the pic above.

I had fully expected this to be some kind of different Human Torch guy or that he was going to be possessed or something, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case here...which is cool.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 pm

after re-reading some comics - i dont know if i really enjoy them anymore. I dont seem to have the same level of enjoyment that i once had...

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:38 am

Another comic art legend has passed away... John Severin, best known for his many years at "Cracked" magazine and many war and western comics, was 90 years old.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-severin-stan-lee-mad-comics-artist-dies-290604

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 pm

I went to a used book sale the other day and bought 6 "ghost" graphic novels for $1 a piece. what a deal!
The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 206411-23118-ghost_large
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Comic Book Thread
Page 12 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next