Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hades! (The New Jersey one)

Go down 
+11
powermacho
DeathCult
Lurideath
Metalgiant
SideShowDisaSter
krokus
kmorg
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Shiney
Fat Freddy
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Hades! (The New Jersey one) Empty
PostSubject: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Hades! (The New Jersey one) 1940a2c008a027a05937b010._AA240_.L
Hades! (The New Jersey one) 21BA8YGV5BL._AA130_

Been listening to this uber-underrated Jersey thrash band today and wondered if there are any other fans around here?
Even though I'm from Jersey I never really caught up with these guys till they reunited in the late 90s and put out the $AVIOR$ELF album. During their early 80s heyday I was too young to get into the clubs and for whatever reason they didn't even get much radio play here in their home state. By the time I was in college and old enough to go to shows all over New York and New Jersey, they'd already broken up. We were like ships passing in the night, I guess. Smile

Anyway, I finally got inaugurated into the Hades faithful in 2000 when I saw them open for Raven at a local club out here, and thought to myself "Whoa! Why haven't I gotten into this band before now?"

Since then I've collected most of their catalog (I think the only one I'm missing is EXIST TO RESIST), I'd say my favorite disc would be THE DOWNSIDE.

Discuss.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 5:49 pm

I have a few of their discs....not bad at all....

I have the 2 cd release of "Resisting Success/if At First you don't succeed"

"Saviourself" and "The Downside"

Those are what I got....The 80's material is alot stronger, i think.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Yea, the '80s stuff is cool.. but it's all good.

They self released a neat little compilation awhile back called "1982-2002" that is a nice overview of their whole career from the early days right up to the Metal Blade era... there's some rare stuff from their early 7-inch singles and a track that was on a MegaForce compilation called "From The Megavault" on it too...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 7:03 pm

Love everything they have ever done! I just sold the guitarist's (?) side project last week. It was called "System Addict". Pretty mediocre, really. Grab it cheap if ya can.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:22 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Love everything they have ever done! I just sold the guitarist's (?) side project last week. It was called "System Addict". Pretty mediocre, really. Grab it cheap if ya can.

Yea, I had a System Addict disc for a while too... traded it off years ago... like you said, pretty mediocre stuff.

Dan Lorenzo (guitarist) has self-released three solo albums in the past couple of years that are interesting listens. He doesn't stick strictly to metal on those, the CDs are all over the place, and the lyrics are usually very sarcastic, darkly humorous stuff.
Dan's CD with Bobby Blitz of Overkill ("Room Full Of Sinners" by The Cursed) is damn good stuff too.

Alan Tecchio (vox) is currently in Seven Witches but I don't feel his vocal style really fits their music. But then I haven't heard their latest one yet, just the previous AMPED (first one with Alan) and I thought that was a disappointment.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 9:01 am

I have a few of their albums and I saw them live several years ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:35 am

i love their first single. their previous singer, john bomma, released some interesting stuff with guitar maestro rod rivera. especially their first effort, invisible force....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:43 am

I have a few of their albums, but haven't listenend to them in awhile. I might have to break some out this weekend.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Have a few of their CD's. Need to bring them out again. Now, Non-Fiction on the other hand, not for me.... off to the THEY SUCK thread they go!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 10:41 am

kmorg wrote:
Now, Non-Fiction on the other hand, not for me.... off to the THEY SUCK thread they go!

Haha, I've traded for a couple of Non-Fiction CDs lately, had never heard much of them back in their heyday. I don't like'em anywhere near as much as I like Hades, but they have had a few cool tracks... out of the two CDs I have (IN THE KNOW and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIE) I prefer IT'S A WONDERFUL LIE I'd say...

Thanx to Uncle Sax for the hookups on both NF discs by the way 🤘

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 1:12 pm

I thought we celebrted Resurrection day during Easter, so why are all these old thred popping out!!!????

Laughing

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 1:23 pm

kmorg wrote:
I thought we celebrted Resurrection day during Easter, so why are all these old thred popping out!!!????

Laughing

Too many people getting their shorts in a knot over not using the search function and just starting new topics on things already discussed. And I'm bored at work.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 1:30 pm

kmorg wrote:

Laughing

Mainly because I knew that if I started a thread about Non-Fiction it would probably get about two responses, hahaha.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Glad ya dig it. I carry a list in my wallet of stuff my trading friends are looking for (GD, the pusher-man!). So I snagged that one with you specifically in mind.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 4:34 pm

I like THE CROSS(7") and their albums till LIVE ON LOCATION.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 7:28 pm

I've got the 3 more recent albums, as well as If At First You Don't Succeed. I think If At First is a much stronger album overall than the later ones. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy them all quite a bit!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:45 am

I coulda sworn I posted this news bit a while ago but I guess not. Looking forward to this DVD!

HADES: First-Ever Live DVD Due In November

Cruz Del Sur Music from Rome will release the first-ever live HADES DVD in November. The disc will include footage of the band's December 30, 1988 concert in Boston as the opening act for MANOWAR and NUCLEAR ASSAULT. Songs played include "The Leaders?", "Nightstalker", "I Too Eye" and "Opinionate!" It will also contain the "Behind The Metal" feature filmed during the recording of "The Downside" CD. It includes interviews with Dan Lorenzo, Alan Tecchio, Jimmy Schulman, Ed Fuhrman and Scott LePage plus old video clips, live footage and TV show appearances.

New Jersey's HADES came on to the thrash metal scene in 1987 with the release of "Resisting Success". They received glowing reviews in all the major metal magazines. They followed up a year later with the CD "If At First You Don't Succeed". In America HADES performed countless shows opening for bands like MEGADETH, SLAYER, ANTHRAX, NUCLEAR ASSAULT, MANOWAR, OVERKILL and DANZIG. During the summer of 1989, HADES toured Europe for the first time. In the middle of the tour they decided to break up after the tour was over. Alan Tecchio moved to Texas to join WATCHTOWER. Dan Lorenzo started a doom band that he named NON-FICTION. Alan eventually rejoined up with Dan in NON-FICTION and they released three CDs and toured the world. In 1999 HADES got back together. Over the next three years HADES recorded three new CDs for Metal Blade Records. They put in a strong performance at the Wacken Open Air festival in 2000. Just as quickly they were gone once again.

For more information, visit www.myspace.com/hadesusa.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm still amazed that this band had Scott LePage and Dan Nastasi in it at one point.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I'm still amazed that this band had Scott LePage and Dan Nastasi in it at one point.

Not a big surprise... the northern New Jersey scene was pretty incestuous during the '80s/'90s... there were only a dozen or so (at most) original bands making the rounds (everybody else was in cover bands) so they'd constantly change members, trade members with other bands, or form new bands out of the ashes of old ones, all out of the same "pool" of people...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:35 pm

You a Mucky Pup fan? Probably not. They're an old school favorite of mine.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I remember Mucky Pup, hell yea. Don't own any of their stuff but they were kinda infamous in my area when I was in high school. They entered one of their songs ("U Stink But I Love U") in a contest with the comic strip "Bloom County" and it ended up as a "DeathTongue" song on a flexi-disc in one of the Bloom County Books ("Billy and the Boingers Bootleg"). That was some pretty fun stuff.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Quote :
They entered one of their songs ("U Stink But I Love U") in a contest with the comic strip "Bloom County" and it ended up as a "DeathTongue" song on a flexi-disc in one of the Bloom County Books ("Billy and the Boingers Bootleg"). That was some pretty fun stuff.

I have that book with the flexi-disc stil intact. Hence, I've never actually heard the song. I'm too fanatical about pulling it out of the book.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
They entered one of their songs ("U Stink But I Love U") in a contest with the comic strip "Bloom County" and it ended up as a "DeathTongue" song on a flexi-disc in one of the Bloom County Books ("Billy and the Boingers Bootleg"). That was some pretty fun stuff.

I have that book with the flexi-disc stil intact. Hence, I've never actually heard the song. I'm too fanatical about pulling it out of the book.

I still have the book but have no idea where the flexi-disc is. If memory serves, the flip side was a song called "Because I'm a Boinger"

On a side note, wasn't "Bloom County" one of the best comic strips to ever march across America's newspaper pages?? Gawd, I miss that thing. When Berke Breathed ended "B.C." he spun some of the characters off into "Outland," and Opus now has a solo strip on Sundays, but neither one really compares to "Bloom County" at its peak in the '80s.

Back to top Go down
Metalgiant
Metal novice
Metal novice
Metalgiant

Number of posts : 78

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:16 pm

"DamNation" their 2001 album is also a must, a big step into the old direction.
I also got their history CD "1982-2002" which is a nice collection for fans including some 
unreleased material   
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:24 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I remember Mucky Pup, hell yea. Don't own any of their stuff but they were kinda infamous in my area when I was in high school. They entered one of their songs ("U Stink But I Love U") in a contest with the comic strip "Bloom County" and it ended up as a "DeathTongue" song on a flexi-disc in one of the Bloom County Books ("Billy and the Boingers Bootleg"). That was some pretty fun stuff.
Yup. I won that book off eBay a few years back. I love that band. I played the washboard on stage with them once during "The Skinheads Broke My Walkman." I was like 15 years old. It was awesome. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hades! (The New Jersey one)   Hades! (The New Jersey one) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hades! (The New Jersey one)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next