Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Screaming For Vengeance Overrated

Go down 
+32
manny
Schbopo
romeolimagolf
skullsmasher
Jedilink
the sentinel
XYZ
Orion Crystal Ice
Skysplitter
thejokeriv
krokus
stepcousin
iamrockerfun
nevermore
Lurideath
mr.electric39
Invader
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
TheGooch
ghost
candlemass
mc666
DallasBlack
caniplaywithmadness?
SAHB Healer
Follower of Jesus
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Tall Tyrion
rattpoison
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Point Of Entry is actually one of my favorites, top 5.

So is Screaming For Vengeance and I don't think there's a single instance of "filler" on this album.

Priest has always been a little more pop savvy than most people would like to admit. They write memorable hooks better than almost any other classic "metal" band and their mellower songs help to complete the picture...and it makes the heavier tracks SEEM heavier.

Priest is not above using filler at times (United anyone?), but this isn't one of those cases. Fever & Take These Chains are both memorable heavy pop tunes with great choruses...and Devil's Child filler? Come ON...that was always one of my favorite tracks.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Perhaps a bit overrated. I always thought British Steel was a better album.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:04 pm

Imo, I like every song on the album and definately don't think there is any filler there at all. But, I don't think it's their best (that would be Stained Class, Defenders, or Painkiller), but certainly Top 5 in their catalogue.
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:58 pm

Dude, I got this album about a month ago. We just got it at Wal-Mart for about 6-7 bucks so I picked it up. I've gotta say, it's solid al the way through. I'm only 22 so I have no real nostalgia for this one. Even still I'd say it's really good.

Although I also recently bought Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast and I've probably listened to that a LOT more. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:56 pm

It is a killer album not a weak song in the bunch in my opinion. Priest Rule.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:57 pm

skullsmasher wrote:

I agree!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 2:12 pm

I like British Steel and Painkllier way more than this disc. i barely spin this one.
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 5:35 pm

I agree. It is overrated. In fact it only has 2 good songs. "You've Got Another Think Coming" and the title track are the only ones worth listening to, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 5:37 pm

I absolutely love this album. The only 3 Priest albums I have are SFV, British Steel, and Turbo, and I found British Steel to be the album that is overrated. And SFV just absolutely annihilates Turbo. Maybe if I expanded my Priest collection, I'd agree, but right now, nope.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 9:27 pm

I've had this for a while now and it is my favorite of them followed by British Steel. I am still working on the Priest catalog (I recently go Hell Bent For Leather) but I still have quite a ways to go.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 10:10 pm

Painkiller? Wow, my tastes definitely run contrary to most then. I thought that was a wanna-be thrash album...mostly ripped off from Riot's Thundersteel sound. Let's get a cat on drums that can play double-bass all the way through...yeah man, that will ROCK!

Fave Priest albums:

Unleashed In The East
Hell Bent For Leather
Point Of Entry
Screaming For Vengeance
British Steel
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 10:26 pm

I gotta admit, I'd call PAINKILLER overrated before SFV. I loved PAINKILLER when it was a current release, but it hasn't aged nearly as well as SFV has (in my book anyway)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 11:25 pm

skullsmasher wrote:

🤘
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 1:04 am

Good album but i think Hellbent for Leather is the best followed by Painkiller.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 9:30 am

I don't know if it's overrated... maybe it was their best selling album (right?), but I don't think it's usually mentioned in the same breath as Hell Bent for Leather or British Steel.

It's a good, not great, album that just happened to produce their biggest commercial hit. I never listen to this one, but I do love "The Hellion/Electric Eye", "Riding on the Wind", and "(Take These) Chains" (despite it being really cheesy).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Overrated? It's a great album and put them on the map of many outside metal. It might not be the defining album but it's a great one.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 3:30 pm

More like unrated, British Steel gets more critical acclaim than this album, and is always overlooked, and when it came time to choose which Judas Priest album to do the Classic Album series, they choose British Steel over Screaming, I like both albums but I prefer Screaming.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 2:46 pm

xyz wrote:

After really listening to it a couple of more times, I have decided that my initial thoughts of this album are utter garbage. This is truely one of the finest albums I have had the pleasure of listening to. Same goes for the band. I used to think that Priest are extremely overrated, but I have since seen the light.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 3:01 pm

xyz wrote:
xyz wrote:

After really listening to it a couple of more times, I have decided that my initial thoughts of this album are utter garbage. This is truely one of the finest albums I have had the pleasure of listening to. Same goes for the band. I used to think that Priest are extremely overrated, but I have since seen the light.

Hallelujah! Halford salutes you! Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 604261

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 3:16 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I like from beginning to end. I'm not one for singles and hits. I like
albums and this one is solid. '(Take These) Chains', 'Pain and
Pleasure', 'Fever' and 'Devil's Child' are hardly "filler" tracks IMO.
I sing along to each and every one of them every time I play this album.

ult

Yup! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 3:32 pm

xyz wrote:
xyz wrote:

The Metal Gods will now allow you to entire the kingdom of heaven.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 4:59 pm

you all are sinners if you think bad bout Judas Priest albums and you're Very Happy gonna burn
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 pm

iamrockerfun wrote:
you all are sinners if you think bad bout Judas Priest albums and you're Very Happy gonna burn
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 6:13 pm

rattpoison wrote:
I feel like cutting down a tall poppy today.

Okay so this album, is vaulted up their amongst some of heavy metal's greatest albums. Not only is it by far and away Judas Priest's most popular album but also the critical groundswell for the album is huge, but is it really Judas Priest's definative statement?

No! cause half of it is filler. Okay so their's 9 tracks on the album (The Hellion doesn't count) but only 4 are really that good (2 achieving greatness), with another song sought of being okay.

I mean come on, '(Take These) Chains', 'Pain and Pleasure', 'Fever' and 'Devil's Child'. Those tracks are uninspired and never really go anywhere. Just inane plodding blocky bluesy metal. Those songs coulda come straight off the dull Point Of Entry album.

And 'Another Thing Coming' is okay, but jeez it ain't the greatest thing either.

Sure 'Screaming For Vengeance' and 'Electric Eye' are beyond classic metal tracks and 'Bloodstone' and 'Riding On The Wind' are great, but does it deserve its reputation when it's really a half baked album.

I don't know what do you think? Ehh give me 'Stained Class' any day over this album of half-truths!

im with you 100% and really only like Riding on the Wind and the title track. I would take Stained Class as well.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 2:00 am

i don't know of any Priest album that was "overrated". all of Priest's material has been criminally underrated in my opinion. these guys perfected & expanded the sound that was to inspire all further sub-genres within metal. every album they made holds significance to heavy metal & it's creative continuance.

sure they have had missteps. but none so overwhelming that it overshadows the importance of anything they've contributed. every single release has never been given the credit it truly deserves. even the albums i'm not to fond of (i.e. the "Ripper" albums).

Judas Priest is heavy metal defined. everytime.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Screaming For Vengeance Overrated
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next