Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Screaming For Vengeance Overrated

Go down 
+32
manny
Schbopo
romeolimagolf
skullsmasher
Jedilink
the sentinel
XYZ
Orion Crystal Ice
Skysplitter
thejokeriv
krokus
stepcousin
iamrockerfun
nevermore
Lurideath
mr.electric39
Invader
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
TheGooch
ghost
candlemass
mc666
DallasBlack
caniplaywithmadness?
SAHB Healer
Follower of Jesus
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Tall Tyrion
rattpoison
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 12:15 pm

It's a great album, but it's not my favorite album from them.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 3:40 pm

The reality is WITHOUT this disc Priest probably woulda been dropped and that would've been the end of it.

Point of Entry flopped. Columbia wanted a HIT.... British Steel and Hell Bent obviously are brilliant, but neither of them had A HIT..... I mean a true Hit.....

Screaming needed to break them through and it did. If it flopped it I would venture to say that it was over. that's not to say they wouldn't of been signed by someone else, but......

So for many of us it was our first Priest disc (it was mine, after I bootlegged a King Biscuit Flower Hour from that tour). 1982 in the USA was a not a metal time. This is their highest selling disc, first platinum disc in the states....
http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=SEARCH_RESULTS

"Riding On the Wind" is one of the best Priest tunes ever IMO. "Devils Child", "Blood Stone".... "Electric Eye".... Yes YGATC was overplayed to death and whenever a radio DJ said "JP next..." they'd play that song...(after all it was put together by Tom Allom from a collection of jams they had on tape)... But it broke 'em and left us 'Screamin' for more.... (couldnt resist)... The US Festival who could forget that!
The live in 'Memphis' concert on MTV....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgXPgPEXc_E

speaking of the US Festival ...........

Last edited by on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 3:41 pm

British Steel owns this record.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 3:48 pm

This album is far from overrated! Its rated up there just fine. There are no fillers to me either as every track stands on its own to me. Not my favorite, but its up close to it!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 4:17 pm

I don't think SFV is overrated either. I think it's a classic!
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 4:41 pm

included in JP Favourites !

B L O O D S T O N E ! extra extra .... 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 4:43 pm

That does it! I'm going to LaLa and put these on my "want" list!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:48 pm

Looks like my next classic Priest album is going to be this one.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 11:24 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Bro,

You won't regret it.... Once you hear the opening chords of "The Hellion" it will be all over.....

headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 11:28 pm

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
British Steel owns this record.

Nah. 9 words. You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 6:55 am

It is classic to me being that its from my early teenage years of discovering metal. Killer sound, killer vibe, and it came out just at the right time that some JP fans like myself were hoping it wouldnt be as bad as Point Of Entry. Looking back, however, I can see Rattpoison's point how it does have about 4 tracks that arent great and side 1 just bogs way down after Bloodstone. Not really that overrated at all but IMO not even in the top 5 favorite JP albums.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 8:30 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Bro,

You won't regret it.... Once you hear the opening chords of "The Hellion" it will be all over.....

headbanger

Oh I know The Hellion/Electric Eye real well, as well as some other songs on that album. It's the ones I have yet to hear that are more interest to me (one of my main reasons for starting a classic Priest collection.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:14 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Bro,

headbanger

Oh I know The Hellion/Electric Eye real well, as well as some other songs on that album. It's the ones I have yet to hear that are more interest to me (one of my main reasons for starting a classic Priest collection.

There are two tunes on SFV that are relatively weak, "Take these Chains" (written by bob halligan jr. who also wrote "Some Heads are Gonna Roll") and "Fever". Neither one really cranks for me. But neither did "Before the Dawn" on Hell bent for Leather or "The Last Rose" on Sin after Sin.

British Steel is probably my favorite old disc (took awhile to get into "United" thought it was a United Airlines commercial or something when I was 14!!). But SFV is what broke 'em and that's why it's a classic.

Hearing the ripping solos on "Riding on the Wind" or the brutality (for 1982) of the title track, early speed metal?... Hearing Halford scream the verse in 'Devil Child'...

You took my heart
And left it blown to smithereens
I gave my body as a slave
You cut my flesh
And drank my blood that poured in streams
I'm left here broken and ashamed

"Pain & Pleasure" a heavy but slower tempo track (aka 'heads gonna roll'), good tune.... "Bloodstone" rocks... !

listening to music
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:42 pm

See, I love "Take the Chains", "Riding on the Wind", "Fever", etc. I
just think this album flows perfectly from beginning to end. It usually
has me headbanging and singing along for the entire ride.

"Screaming for Vengeance" isn't neccesarily my favorite Judas Priest
album, but I hardly think it's overrated. It's just good heavy metal. A
defining moment in the genre if you ask me. Many copied it's format,
few matched it. "You Got Another Thing Coming" also broke open a lot of
doors commercially. It was one of the few metal tracks to receive play
on rock radio in the early 1980's, aside from "Metal Health".

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm

ultmetal wrote:
It's just good heavy metal. A
defining moment in the genre if you ask me. Many copied it's format,
few matched it. "You Got Another Thing Coming" also broke open a lot of
doors commercially. It was one of the few metal tracks to receive play
on rock radio in the early 1980's, aside from "Metal Health".

Couldn't agree more.... Now watch some wanker will argue with you that 'Metal Health' isn't 'metal' enough. I guess they had to be there.... We can either hear more Boz Skaggs, Doobie Brothers, or Quiet Riot.... let me think....
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 3:12 pm

Just listening to Metal Health yesterday (on vinyl) as I lifted in the garage. I never had it back then....so I'm catching up on those classic metal albums on vinyl for the garage.

#1 - Metal Health is GREAT!
#2 - It's METAL!!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 3:15 pm

nevermore wrote:
I don't think SFV is overrated either. I think it's a classic!

+1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 11:52 pm

You need to take albums like this into context, when this came out it was cutting edge and the majority of metal as we know it didnt even exist. If you were 14 years old and sporting a newly grown mullet it was a life changing experience.

I'd take Screaming and Defenders over British Steel anyday.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 11:24 am

GREAT album, not overrated. I always prefered Defenders over SFV, but that is personal opinion. Most people I know prefer SFV, but it's all personal opinion. Now, I do like Painkiller even better, but that was one of those "holy cow" moments from the second the drum intro to painkiller kicked in.
Back to top Go down
Skysplitter
Metal student
Metal student
Skysplitter

Number of posts : 100

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Screaming for Vengeance is a great album, the only song that I really don't like on it is Pain and Pleasure. The rest are Classic Priest!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 7:52 pm

I don't think it's overated, but I wouldn't say it's their best, either. It's a good album, but I think Sad Wings Of Destiny and British Steel are better.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 10:21 pm

The only classic Priest albums I have are Sad Wings, British Steel, and Defenders Of The Faith. Out of those, so far, my favorite is British Steel.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 pm

I'm relatively new to non-radio Judas Priest. A few months ago I picked up a few and I now consider Screaming For Vengeance a masterpiece. The more I listen to it the better it gets. Amazing!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 8:54 pm

I don't think this is as overrated as 'Painkiller' is. It's a little stiff here and there but I think it is a good album. I think 'Defenders' perfected what it started, however. 'Painkiller' is the tall poppy to me, and the fact that 99% of people usually want to kill me after saying that is teh proof. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I don't think this is as overrated as 'Painkiller' is. It's a little stiff here and there but I think it is a good album. I think 'Defenders' perfected what it started, however. 'Painkiller' is the tall poppy to me, and the fact that 99% of people usually want to kill me after saying that is teh proof. Razz

I agree with all of this. Finally someone sees it my way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Screaming For Vengeance Overrated
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next