Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Screaming For Vengeance Overrated

Go down 
+32
manny
Schbopo
romeolimagolf
skullsmasher
Jedilink
the sentinel
XYZ
Orion Crystal Ice
Skysplitter
thejokeriv
krokus
stepcousin
iamrockerfun
nevermore
Lurideath
mr.electric39
Invader
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
TheGooch
ghost
candlemass
mc666
DallasBlack
caniplaywithmadness?
SAHB Healer
Follower of Jesus
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Tall Tyrion
rattpoison
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Empty
PostSubject: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 8:49 pm

I feel like cutting down a tall poppy today.

Okay so this album, is vaulted up their amongst some of heavy metal's greatest albums. Not only is it by far and away Judas Priest's most popular album but also the critical groundswell for the album is huge, but is it really Judas Priest's definative statement?

No! cause half of it is filler. Okay so their's 9 tracks on the album (The Hellion doesn't count) but only 4 are really that good (2 achieving greatness), with another song sought of being okay.

I mean come on, '(Take These) Chains', 'Pain and Pleasure', 'Fever' and 'Devil's Child'. Those tracks are uninspired and never really go anywhere. Just inane plodding blocky bluesy metal. Those songs coulda come straight off the dull Point Of Entry album.

And 'Another Thing Coming' is okay, but jeez it ain't the greatest thing either.

Sure 'Screaming For Vengeance' and 'Electric Eye' are beyond classic metal tracks and 'Bloodstone' and 'Riding On The Wind' are great, but does it deserve its reputation when it's really a half baked album.

I don't know what do you think? Ehh give me 'Stained Class' any day over this album of half-truths!

Last edited by on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 8:57 pm

We must roll him in gasoline and strike a match.

Razz j/k bro, but I do disagree. Some songs are certainly not as strong as others, but IMO this is a classic, start to finish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:03 pm

This is a classic. Just like Rocka Rolla some will disagree but I don't care it's a classic!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:14 pm

I like from beginning to end. I'm not one for singles and hits. I like
albums and this one is solid. '(Take These) Chains', 'Pain and
Pleasure', 'Fever' and 'Devil's Child' are hardly "filler" tracks IMO.
I sing along to each and every one of them every time I play this album.

Of course, this is one of those album from my teenage years, so nostalgia can play a powerful role.

ult

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Like a lot of JUDAS PRIEST albums, it has a lot of filler. And features a song written by a guy who also wrote songs for Michael Bolton, Cher, etc. so yeah, that's really lame.

Still not as overrated as a lot of other albums though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Nostalgia doesn't even come into play with this album in my life. I became a fan during Defenders. SFV is really that good, not as good as Defenders, but very good. But I see your POV, rattpoison.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus
Metal student
Metal student
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 121

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:44 pm

Finally! Someone else sees the light! This album is WAY overrated. Several other JP albums blow this one off the map. Give me Stained Class, Hellbent For Leather, Defenders, and Painkiller before this one any day. I might even take Sin After Sin ahead of this one.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:54 pm

I think it's a great album. But 80's Priest can't hold a candle to 70's Priest in my opinion (despite the difference in popularity). Over-rated only in the sense that it isn't nearly as good as Sad Wings, Stained Class, Sin After Sin, or Hell Bent. But that ain't a trashing. Hardly anything by anybody is as good as those 70's albums. The 80's Priest stuff is more anthemic and accessible; so people do really like it, and rightly so.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:54 pm

classic album

i'm not really sure why u felt the need to start a thread just to bash an album.....
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 10:10 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:
Finally! Someone else sees the light! This album is WAY overrated. Several other JP albums blow this one off the map. Give me Stained Class, Defenders, and Painkiller before this one any day.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 pm

Guess what? Never heard it. Haha. In fact, I've never heard any album before Painkiller. I've heard songs, of course, and I've been around plenty of people who have played them, but I've never owned 'em.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 10:24 pm

caniplaywithmadness? wrote:
classic album

i'm not really sure why u felt the need to start a thread just to bash an album.....

Hey i ain't bashing it, i'm just saying it doesn't deserve to be seen as Judas Priest's definative/classic/greatest album as the general consensus see's it.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Guess what? Never heard it. Haha. In fact, I've never heard any album before Painkiller. I've heard songs, of course, and I've been around plenty of people who have played them, but I've never owned 'em.

Judas Priest should be your new AC/DC Eyesore!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 10:30 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Judas Priest should be your new AC/DC Eyesore!
Yeah, it's just a daunting task of getting all those albums. That's why I haven't done it yet. Haha. I want to, so I will eventually.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 10:45 pm

I am working on getting the classic Priest albums and have yet to get this one so I will save my comments for a latter date.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 12:42 am

rattpoison wrote:
I feel like cutting down a tall poppy today.

Okay so this album, is vaulted up their amongst some of heavy metal's greatest albums. Not only is it by far and away Judas Priest's most popular album but also the critical groundswell for the album is huge, but is it really Judas Priest's definative statement?

No! cause half of it is filler. Okay so their's 9 tracks on the album (The Hellion doesn't count) but only 4 are really that good (2 achieving greatness), with another song sought of being okay.

I mean come on, '(Take These) Chains', 'Pain and Pleasure', 'Fever' and 'Devil's Child'. Those tracks are uninspired and never really go anywhere. Just inane plodding blocky bluesy metal. Those songs coulda come straight off the dull Point Of Entry album.

And 'Another Thing Coming' is okay, but jeez it ain't the greatest thing either.

Sure 'Screaming For Vengeance' and 'Electric Eye' are beyond classic metal tracks and 'Bloodstone' and 'Riding On The Wind' are great, but does it deserve its reputation when it's really a half baked album.

I don't know what do you think? Ehh give me 'Stained Class' any day over this album of half-truths!
i like it fine, but it's not in my top 5 Priest.

candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 12:49 am

Solid LP, no filler material here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 1:48 am

One of the best Priest albums IMHO. I like every song on it, no fillers at all.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 6:58 am

I cant speak for the other seven songs of the album but the two songs i have heard - Electric Eye and Screaming for vengeance are pure classics IMO
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:18 am

Quote :

Ditto - except I've not heard much of Painkiller either. JP is just one of those bands. Always heard of them, but the songs of theirs that were popular when I was 9-15 turned me off and I never persued them.

My favorite Halford album by far is Fight - War Of Words. If any of JP (Halford or not) approaches that level of heaviness I might check it out.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:30 am

IMO, "Devil's Child" and "Pain & Pleasure" are classic Judas Priest! Not filler at all!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:34 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

My favorite Halford album by far is Fight - War Of Words. If any of JP (Halford or not) approaches that level of heaviness I might check it out.....

That Fight record was a product of the times. Judas Priest never got that heavy until 'Jugulator'...'Painkiller' was as close as they got (Fight drummer Scott Travis made his Judas Priest debut on 'Painkiller')...that's a heavy record...no 'Take These Chains' or anything like that...even the one "power ballad" (Touch Of Evil) is dark & heavy...

Before that, they were the ones who set the standard for what a 3 minute Heavy Metal song is...in 1983, you were hard pressed to find something as popular as Judas Priest that was as HEAVY as Judas Priest. "Screaming For Vengeance" is a heavy song!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 9:53 am

I like Screaming...just fine. I have no problem with it getting every bit of admiration it so rightly deserves. It was great when it came out and still sounds great today.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 9:55 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I like Screaming...just fine. I have no problem with it getting every bit of admiration it so rightly deserves. It was great when it came out and still sounds great today.

Yeah, what he said.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 10:19 am

i just listened to the albums title track and it offically shreds
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screaming For Vengeance Overrated   Screaming For Vengeance Overrated Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Screaming For Vengeance Overrated
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next