Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard - Hysteria

Go down 
+20
Troublezone
rattpoison
fingers
Follower of Jesus
A Handful of Wayne
nevermore
scottmitchell74
DeathCult
stepcousin
Thrasher73
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal Misfit
journeyman
thejokeriv
7thSecond
Tall Tyrion
MetalGuy71
mc666
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Def Leppard - Hysteria Empty
PostSubject: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 8:04 am

Def Leppard - Hysteria Alb3006

Not to get Eyesore in a tizzy, but who else here loves this album?

It may just be my age, but this album came out at the right time for me. I was 14 and this album blew me away.It is so darn catchy and just hard rock enough to justify it's place in a metal collection.

Unfortunately it gets a bad rap because of "Pour Some Sugar On Me". But the album is so much more than that song. "Animal", Run Riot" Gods Of War", all these songs are killer. In fact the whole album is great.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 8:41 am

This is where Def Leppard lost me. I loved the first three albums, but HYSTERIA was just too overly slick and gooey for me.
Of course, it went on to sell fifteen billion zillion records and is still one of the all time best selling rock albums, so what the heck do I know? Shocked

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 am

I have never owned this album. I got so tired of hearing this album just from friends who thought it was the greatest thing in the world back then. I went on a weekend boating trip with a guy and it was the only freakin' CD he brought. He must have played the darn thing 50x that weekend.

Anyhow, I haven't heard it in years. I should add it to my LaLa want list just to give it a fresh spin. It's one of the few Def Leppard albums I don't own. I HATE, with a passion, Pour Some Sugar On Me. I don't know why other than it's just so sappy. However, since I like a lot of sappy stuff from bands like Kiss and Aerosmith, I'm not sure why I have such a problem with this song.

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:06 am

Wow ult, I am surprised you don't have it. I never noticed it wasn't part of your collection. I have never seen you type that you "HATE, with a passion," something music related. Smile But I agree with the oversaturation thing. PSSOM is a tune I always skip on the disc.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:08 am

"Pour Some Sugar" was one of the few songs on HYSTERIA that I kinda liked when I first heard it... ten million radio and MTV plays later, though? Not so much.

I thought "Women" was a decent track, as was "Gods of War." But as for the rest, nah. Gimme "Stagefright" or "Let It Go" any day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:16 am

sick x 1000

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:17 am

I liked the album when it came out, but years of overplay on MTV, radio and now sattelite radio have totally burned me out on it. I haven't pulled that cd out in years. That was the last cd I purchased by them until RetroActive came out a few years later. I'll still listen to their first 2 albums. Despite what the members of the band or anyone else says, those 2 albums are GREAT NWOBHM classics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:54 am

Fags. This is the greatest album in the world.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:56 am

Eyesore wrote:

As you're so fond of saying...

PFFFFFFT! insane

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:56 am

Eyesore wrote:
This is the greatest album in the world.

You may have stated it before, but what are your points as to why you feel this way? I have been curious.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 1:26 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
This is the greatest album in the world.
You may have stated it before, but what are your points as to why you feel this way? I have been curious.
It's just the first album I ever owned. My first concert was seeing them tour this album. It was my life's soundtrack for years as a young teen. Even though I know it's not truly their best album, it is for me. I can put this album on any time of the day, any day, and it'll bring a smile to my face. I love everything about it. It never gets old.

It's fanboy nonsense mostly, but aside from that I do think it's a really solid album. My love for it is borderline weird (we all have that album/band, though), but Hysteria is a good mainstream rock album any way you put it, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 1:30 pm

Eyesore wrote:
My love for it is borderline weird (we all have that album/band, though),

I have an entire decade (80-89) I am fond of in that same way.....
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Fat Freddy has expressed my thought perfectly on this subject.

What a huge disappointment this album was to me. Yes, I owned it on
cassette, and even got the cd a few years back to see if it might have
improved with age. It was worse, if anything.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 5:24 pm

I absolutely love this album. It was the soundtrack to my life for a year or two.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:57 pm

I love it. One of my top 10 favorites of all time.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:08 pm

I would say it is a good album, even if it did get alot of exposure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:29 pm

journeyman wrote:
I would say it is a good album, even if it did get alot of exposure.
That's an understatement. The entire A side of the cassette was hit songs, and side B had another (two if you count "Love And Affection," which was a hit overseas). That's just ridiculous. Most big albums have one or two hits, not seven or eight.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:18 pm

I actually don't own this album either. It's always been on my "to buy" list, but I've heard so much in the past, if I'm on a hunt for CDs I usually try something that's new to me.

As great as this album is though, I think Pyromania beats it.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Most big albums have one or two hits, not seven or eight.
Nickelback is the new Def Leppard. Shocked
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:14 am

i like it. thats all i can really say about it
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:56 am

Loved it when it first came out,but airplay killed this one for me.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I have never owned this album. I got so tired of hearing this album just from friends who thought it was the greatest thing in the world back then. I went on a weekend boating trip with a guy and it was the only freakin' CD he brought. He must have played the darn thing 50x that weekend.

sounds familiar. In the height of my thrash metal days(daze!) I was trying to get everyone and their brother into thrash. So alot of times when me and my friends hung out I had to trade one listen of a thrash album for one listen of their rock. 9 times outta 10 I had to endure either "Appetite For Destuction" or "Hysteria" and I HATED those 2 albums for years. I still to this day own neither.
I still dont like G-N-R but I can tolerate Hysteria. Yes it is one of the most bubble-gummy rock albums of all time but ya gotta admit they did it better than anyone has ever done it, apart from maybe Bon Jovi.
Disclaimer: when listening to Hysteria, try not to hear it just after listening to High N Dry or you will never make it past track 3 or 4. Just listen to it for what it is.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:45 pm

I like a few songs from it, way too overplayed though. This was the last Def Lep album I liked though. Ive seen the videos enough times as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:54 pm

Never "did it" for me and probably for the same reasons as many here...

Quote :
(we all have that album/band, though)

"that" album for me is Silence Is Madness - Bride........I'll never ever tire of this and that was my first Heavy Metal album that had bite, and they were my first live band...

This:

Quote :

made me lol!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Def Leppard lost me with this record.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Hysteria   Def Leppard - Hysteria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard - Hysteria
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next