Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thoughts on Recon

Go down 
+9
thejokeriv
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
kethdredd
Tall Tyrion
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:42 am

A heavier version of Queensryche. I honestly think that the vocals sound closer to John Cyriis from Agent Steel than Queensryche, but I'll go with whatever everyone else says. I would say with complete confidence that they are NOT a Queensryche clone.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=84536289

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=168641657
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:43 am

They're not as heavy as early QR IMHO except on maybe a song or two. The style is somewhat reminiscent though with maybe a bit of AOR thrown in there too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:49 am

There's a bit of Dokken in the Recon sound too. "Dreams" is so Dokken that it almost hurts.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 12:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
There's a bit of Dokken in the Recon sound too. "Dreams" is so Dokken that it almost hurts.

I never had thought of this before - but now that you mention it ... you're right!

That's a good thing though ... I love Dokken.

🤘
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Good point FF.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Fantastic disc - I have the original CD (and original obsessions too). I remember the first time I heard the CD (well before it came out, I saw Deliverance and One Bad Pig in NC and they played the CD before show - my first though was "is this new helloween?"
Back to top Go down
novellahub
Metal student
Metal student
novellahub

Number of posts : 163

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 7:34 am

I got "Behind Enemy Lines" as a new release in 1990. "Choose This Day" is the my favoriter track off the album.

Is the re-issue with the bonus tracks worth it? I have never heard the songs from the California Metal CD comp.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rchobbyhub.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 8:07 am

novellahub wrote:
I got "Behind Enemy Lines" as a new release in 1990. "Choose This Day" is the my favoriter track off the album.

Is the re-issue with the bonus tracks worth it? I have never heard the songs from the California Metal CD comp.

The song "Light the Fire", which was on their first demo and on the Cali Metal comp. is the best Recon song ever IMO. It's like Queensryche "Queen of the Ryche" or Accept's "Fast As A Shark". The song almost defined their sound.

ult

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:12 pm

I think Recon were a really great band. Behind Enemy Lines is a great album.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:17 pm

ultmetal wrote:
novellahub wrote:

The song "Light the Fire", which was on their first demo and on the Cali Metal comp. is the best Recon song ever IMO. It's like Queensryche "Queen of the Ryche" or Accept's "Fast As A Shark". The song almost defined their sound.

ult

I need to hear that one then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:
novellahub wrote:

ult

I agree. "Light the Fire" is a great song and my personal favorite as well.

headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:59 pm

I got the Sacred Warrior Live at Cornerstone today and I love it. Is the Recon one THAT bad? I'd love to hear it, but I think it's close to impossible to find.

Thoughts about Recon Live at Cornerstone????
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 12:07 am

I like the Sacred Warrior disc.

The Recon disc is disappointing as the vocals are atrocious.
Unfortunately the monitors weren't working well during Recon's set so
he could not hear himself. He was out of key, cracking, etc. It's too
bad he wasn't afforded the opportunity to re-record the vocals, or at
least touch them up.

Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 5:03 pm

Could anyone set up Light the Fire on Megaupload or a similar service? I have yet to hear that track.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 7:12 pm

I have come upon another copy of the Behind Enemy Lines boot and it is for trade now if you want it......
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 11:09 am

I just had my first two listens of this album (how I missed them "back in the day" is beyond me) and it's very good.

If I didn't know any better I would say it's an early manifestation of Deliverance. The singer even sounds like JPBII (or JPBII like him).

Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 11:53 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I just had my first two listens of this album (how I missed them "back in the day" is beyond me) and it's very good.

If I didn't know any better I would say it's an early manifestation of Deliverance. The singer even sounds like JPBII (or JPBII like him).

Good stuff!

Well, most of Recon was in Deliverance at one time or another!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Light the fi-yah He's the flame of LLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFEE!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 8:17 am

They were a real mesh of classic and speed metal, which was great, as every song had variety and you never knew what was coming next. Some of the tracks you could almost mistake for Deliverance Smile, though was I the only person who felt production could have been a bit clearer?

This is yet another CD I regularly kick myself for trading off scratch . Great, great album!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Recon   Thoughts on Recon - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Recon
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3